Unable to tune some stations and other issues.

sbm7815

Devices tested:

2 HDHR Primes (Latest firmware)

Amazon Fire TV Stick - 1.4.51a 

Shield Android TV - 1.4.61g

All tests were in Direct Play mode.

First problem:

I'm unable to tune some stations when using the Shield Android TV. It seems like it tunes the station and then hangs in a never ending loop. Afterwards, I will keep changing channels, but then eventually I run out of tuners because they are all stuck in the background. The only way to resolve this is to reset the Emby server. When I test this on the Fire TV Stick there are no issues tuning into stations. All of the stations tune in fine and the tuners never get stuck. Unfortunately, the app eventually goes completely grey (crash?) and I have to restart the Fire TV Stick in order to get it working again. I've also tried using VLC with both devices and it seems to make the Emby app freeze now. It constantly asks me to wait or close the app, so that additional feature might also be having issues.

Second problem:

After tuning into a station with the Shield, it pauses for about a second immediately afterwards and then it either continues streaming or it's stuck in a frozen state. I imagine this has to do with the pause/resume feature, because it has to make a temporary recording in the background like the native HDHR app. If it's frozen, I have to navigate down and hit the icon that circles backwards or the fast forward button and it seems to reset itself. Other times I have to change the channel and go back. Also, I'd like to know where the option is to set the location for the temporary pause/resume feature on the server. Is it the same as the transcoding temporary path? I have a dedicated SSD available for this option that I use for my HDHR native app.

Third problem:

Is it possible to configure the Emby server to use encryption during transport when viewing Live TV content remotely with a Fire TV Stick or an Android TV? Is it as simple as configuring SSL on the server and forcing HTTPS?

Despite these minor issues, I want to give kudos to the development team, especially on the recent Live TV update. The channel changing is so much faster now and this is by far the best Live TV app out there for the HDHomeRun. Amazing job guys, this app is almost perfect now. I feel that my Emby Premiere license is a great value. Thanks again for your hard work and support. 

server-63645523200.txt

Edited by sbm7815

It sounds like problem 1 and 2 are really the same thing.

But what is making you think that it is "in a never ending loop"?  Is something repeating on the screen?

If you can reproduce this issue and then follow the instructions in sending a log from the app, we can try and look at that.

For question 3 you need to properly setup SSL which means also having a true valid certificate for your server (self-signed will not work).

Yes, by loop I mean the little circle that shows up when you're tuning into a station. It stays there and the screen remains black. However, if I turn on VLC and access these stations then it seems to work, but the playback is not smooth. There is a lot of skipping and then Emby eventually crashes. I just sent you some app logs.

In the beginning I only had Direct stream turned on and showed that some stations tuned and others could not. Then I turned on VLC afterwards.

Edited by sbm7815

Sorry, I thought it was attached. I picked the file but forgot to hit the attach button. It's there now.

This one will be hard to find I think, because when I check the tuner it is tuned fine. But, the screen shows nothing but the circle and a black background if VLC is not involved. Again, it's only on some stations. The vast majority work fine.

Edited by sbm7815

Yes, by loop I mean the little circle that shows up when you're tuning into a station. It stays there and the screen remains black. However, if I turn on VLC and access these stations then it seems to work, but the playback is not smooth. There is a lot of skipping and then Emby eventually crashes. I just sent you some app logs.

In the beginning I only had Direct stream turned on and showed that some stations tuned and others could not. Then I turned on VLC afterwards.

Can you please tell me:

• The name of the Emby user
  • Exactly what you played and what happened
  • The time you sent the log

Honestly, it sounds like a sketchy signal...

Thanks.

The user is the same as my username here.

The basic problem is that I can't see anything when I tune into some channels. I have a black background with a spinning circle that never goes away. If I add the VLC option, the channel will tune, but the playback is terrible.

A few example problem channels would be: 

633 - Pets TV

662 - Z Living

726 - Revolt Authorized

737 - SONY Movie Channel

I sent the log around 11:09AM EST

These channels all work if I use other apps like HDHR, Plex and Channels on the Shield TV. They also work if I'm using the Emby app on the Fire TV Stick. The only place they don't work is the Emby app on the Shield TV. All other apps work fine, so I can't figure out what's going on.

Edited by sbm7815

I cannot find a user submitted log with this user name (sbm715) or one submitted anywhere around 11:09am yesterday.  Did you get a message that the log was sent?

It's sbm7815, not 715. Yes, it said the log was sent. I just sent another log at 11:23AM EST today.

I just sent another log at 12:29PM to show the channel freezing issue. I have to click the back or fast forward button to reset it.

Edited by sbm7815

I think you are confusing your Emby Connect user name with the local user name on the server.  Perhaps it is "Shawn"...?

Assuming that is correct, I've made a small change for the next beta.  I'm not convinced it will make a difference as I think there is something fishy about these streams but its worth a shot.

I thought that was the name you were asking for, my mistake. What is fishy about the streams if they work in every other app? Is there anything I can do on my end?

I see the player complaining about the audio track.  If you would like to try the beta to see if it makes a difference, see instructions here.  Easiest test would be on the shield because we don't have to navigate the marketing options on Amazon.

Thanks.

Ok, I just tested 1.5.05g on the Shield (same channels) and the behavior is still the same. The Amazon stick has no issues in terms of tuning with the Emby app, so I don't need to test it on there.

I sent logs at 3:50PM EST.

Okay, so what's different about how it is playing on the Shield vs. the Fire?

Can you send an app log from the Fire and then one from the Shield attempting to play the same channel?  If ffmpeg logs are produced, please include them.  Thanks.

There is no problem with tuning on the Fire TV Stick. I just have an issue where the screen eventually turns grey while watching TV in the Emby app and then I have to restart the TV stick to make it work again. This doesn't happen on the Shield. I'm wondering if it has to do with the Fire TV Stick screen saver. Either way, this is a separate issue and it happens randomly.

I tuned the same channel (737) on both the Amazon TV Stick and on the Shield. This channel works fine on the Fire TV stick, but it does not work on the Shield. I sent app logs at 11:42AM and I'm also attaching the other logs you requested.

server-63645782400.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-8caa2195-4b88-4458-9739-865b792b55b1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-474afdc4-9e1a-49e3-b7ea-3ffee75ba09d.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-f805de56-e879-4f60-aac2-8ff3ab3439eb.txt

Okay, thanks.  It is transcoding on the Fire but trying to direct play on the Shield.  Exoplayer tries to load the stream and appears to go into some sort of death spiral until an out of memory error is thrown.

The stream is interlaced which, theoretically, the Shield should be able to handle - but maybe not...

Can you set the audio option on your Shield to "downmix" to force it to transcode and then see if it plays?

If, instead of the downmix setting, you disable the direct stream option for live TV does that make them play?