Option To Remove Black Overlay - Emby Theater

Scott310

Scott310

I've posted about this a few times before but I thought I would officially add a request for it. For me the video and poster backdrop is a big part of the theater experience. I would love it for the video backdrop enthusiasts if there was an option in the new themes menu to leave everything the same except remove the black overlay on the left side of the screen so that the whole backdrop can be seen. I have been using ember in place of emby theater for this reason. Hit like if you agree!!

Thanks!

• Like 3

You can add this css code to Settings -> Branding -> Custom CSS:

.backgroundContainer.withBackdrop {
    background: linear-gradient(to right, rgba(0, 0, 0, .5), rgba(0, 0, 0, .5), rgba(0, 0, 0, .5)) !important;
}

To make it lighter decrease the .5 and to make it darker increase it, values range from 0 to 1

Scott310

To my knowledge that only works in the web app. I have actually done that already. Ibwas speaking specifically about wmbt theater for Xbox one.

Scott310

@@Luke THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I opened emby theater for Xbox to see the changes that were made and I couldn't be happier. Thank you for listening! You can again see the whole video backdrop. I have uninstalled ember and I am back to official Emby. I love it. The only thing I would add is possibly a slider for the muted transparency because the brightness on some people's tv's an projectors vary. But I am satisfied. I'll take it. Lol. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Smitty018210

Bump:

I sorry to bump this but I was wondering if there is ever going to be a way to change to opacity of the background overlay in theater? (Windows Desktop) I have video backgrounds that I can't really even see and it looks awful. Thanks :)

• Like 2

We lightened this a few months ago. I think it is hard to lighten more without affecting text readability.

Smitty018210

Why don't you give us the option to decided what works for us like with WMC. WMC has this option why can't theater. I trying really hard to use theater more often, but there are things about theater that I can do in WMC that aren't available in theater. (zoom,change themes,and so many more) I would like to use it more, but it just doesn't have to options that WMC has. Which is really surprising. I thought the whole point to moving to that platform was to have even more customization options. To me it seems less so. Theater has crazy nice things about it, but it so plain. You can't change anything unless you happened to be able to code. (I can't) I know this seem like a bit of a rant, but it really isn't. I LOVE EMBY!!!! and think you guys are awesome. The hard work you have put in is evident. I just wish that theater had more options to change the way it looks.  ~smitty

• Like 4

• 11 months later...
willwars

What is actually needed is on the Apple TV skin. You need to make the overlay (the shade that covers the fan art) black instead of white and then change the text to be white. This will give you the exact effect that Apple TV uses. Now I dont know how to edit a skin so can someone help me out. 

• 6 months later...

This subject is giving me a dilemma in Windows client. Either I choose black theme and background are more visible but the TV guide isn’t showing a distinction between “playing now” and “rest”. Or I choose a light theme where background is almost not visible and guide shows a nice distinction.

Even in the darker themes background could show more, or in my opinion it might be fully transparent if a background is available.

A slider for setting transparency would help in my humble opinion.

• Like 1