Emby Live TV With Win TV Quad Tuner

mielke13

Hello,

I am a newbie to Emby (Plex user for 10+ years) and what i see so far is that is far superior to Plex.  The main reason I changed over is because of Live TV Support.  Plex says they offer it but only for android and NO Roku support.  Anyway,  below is my issue and hopefully someone could help out.  Note:  I have been looking at the forums and google and cant find my solution.

I have a WinTV Quad Tuner and I installed NextPVR on my system as well as the NextPVR plugin.  In NextPVR it detects the 4 tuner card and i can go tho the local web address and stream 4 different channels.  In Emby I added 4 tuners (NextPVR) and i can stream one channel via Emby but when i try to stream from a different emby clinet it drops out the first stream.  So basically I dont have 4 tuner support and only can use one.

I dont think i am setting up the 4 tuners correctly in Emby.

Tuner Type:  NextPVR

URL:   http://127.0.0.1:8866/channels

I have 4 tuners set up exactly like above.

You have 4 tuners with the same url setup?

FYI - there are two ways to run next pvr with emby. The first way is what you've done. The second way is by removing them and instead installing the next pvr plugin from the plugin catalog. The first method you tried relies on the next pvr m3u feature, which only allows single tuner access. It is really designed for very simple setups. The plugin method will be more robust but it is more difficult for us to troubleshoot and thus is not actively tested by the emby team. In fact, we would love to see a community member step up and add new features to it.

Anyway for next pvr those are your options. Let us know if this helps. thanks.

Thanks Luke for the quick reply.  Yes i do have 4 tuners set up with the same URL. I didnt think that was correct way to do it but I was trying anything in hopes it world work.

You mention that the second option is to remove them and install the next PVR plugin from the catalog.  This is how i have it configured currently.  I have the next PVR plugin installed and there is only two options in the settings for that plugin:

Next PVR Base URL:    http://localhost:8866

Next PVR Pin:   0000

Could you explain the second option more?

Are the other plugins better for what i a trying (Ex. DVB Link, DVB Viewer ?)

arrbee99

Really doubt if I can help as I only have a single tuner DVB-S card. I have the same URL and PIN (mentioned in post#3) which as far as I know is the standard one.

LiveTV looks like this for me...

59c9f61e69b77_EmbyLiveTVNPVR.jpg

Have nothing under tuner devices as am using the plug-in. Have nothing under the guide provider as NPVR provides that.

Sorry, hopefully @sub will be able to help.

P.S. only other plug-in I tried was MediaPortal, Worked well (a year ago and probably still does), went with NPVR as it seemed to the same but be much more compact.

P.P.S Also, check that the NPVR recording service is running.

Edited by arrbee99

While I don't have the Quad tuner, I do have a Dual tuner as well as a single tuner installed.  Everything seems to be working as desired.  I can have 3 different streams going at one time.  It does push the CPU on the server pretty hard, but nonetheless, it does work.

Started by installing and configuring the Hauppauge WinTV software.  During the installation I used the Next, Next, Next install method.  After the channels were setup and working properly with WinTV (including opening multiple windows with different channels) I then moved on to the installation of NextPVR.

NextPVR was installed basically using defaults.  Once I was able to open 3 windows with different streams, I moved into Emby to configure the Live TV option.

NextPVR Plugin was also configured using defaults.  

There is a rather long delay (20-30 seconds) in starting a stream with Emby.  I believe this is coming from the capture/transcode/stream of the channel being watched.

Hope this helps.

If I can help further, let me know.

Scott

post-80485-0-62574000-1506434078_thumb.jpg

post-80485-0-16329300-1506434095_thumb.jpg

post-80485-0-45326400-1506434106_thumb.jpg

post-80485-0-60616200-1506434566_thumb.jpg

post-80485-0-60769500-1506434573_thumb.jpg

You guys are great.  I had the tuners added wrong and that is why i only got the one stream.  So i deleted the tuners in the Live TV Page and configured the plugin and now it actually shows my 4 tuners.  So this looks good but (there is always a but)  anytime i try to stream Live TV it just sits there with the loading circle and never soes anything.  Looked through the logs and I am getting the following:

017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: User policy for Ryan. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: True EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding: True EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding: True
2017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: Cannot DirectPlay due to unknown content bitrate
2017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: Cannot DirectStream due to unknown content bitrate
2017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: Profile: Roku SG, Path: http://192.168.1.60:8096, isEligibleForDirectPlay: False, isEligibleForDirectStream: False
2017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: Cannot DirectPlay due to unknown content bitrate
2017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: Cannot DirectStream due to unknown content bitrate
2017-09-26 15:53:59.972 Info App: Profile: Roku SG, Path: http://192.168.1.60:8096, isEligibleForDirectPlay: False, isEligibleForDirectStream: False

I get this if I try to stream from Chromebook or Roku.  Any Ideas??

A few more screenshots of my configuration.  Don't know if this will help, but I have no trouble with Roku.  I cannot comment on Chromebook.  

You might also want to try a full reboot of your system once you have all of the pieces parts set the way you think they should be.  Sometimes (I have found) making a change does not fully take place until a reboot.

Are you able to open multiple streams/tuners using the Hauppauge software.  (see 3.jpg)  This was my first hurdle.

post-80485-0-28786300-1506465128_thumb.jpg

post-80485-0-55807200-1506465136_thumb.jpg

post-80485-0-20863800-1506465457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scott D

Another suggestion would be to report the version of FFMPEG you currently have installed.  Maybe an issue with the transcoding.  Not sure, but a bit of additional info never hurts.

I attached the server log and the ffmpeg log.  The latest date of ffmpeg is from yesterday.

Also, the version of ffmpeg I have is:

ffmpeg version N-83781-g3016e91 Copyright © 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers

Server.txt

ff.txt

Comparing your log files with ones produced while stream on my set-up, I found one thing you might try.

I get the same "Cannot DirectPlay, DirectStream due to unknown content".  But I have my bitrate set to 480p - 720Kbps.  I am using it on a cell phone and don't want to send my entire paycheck to Verizon.  

Try changing your playback bitrate and see if that makes any difference.  Keep bumping it up if you get it working.

I attached the server log and the ffmpeg log.  The latest date of ffmpeg is from yesterday.

Also, the version of ffmpeg I have is:

ffmpeg version N-83781-g3016e91 Copyright © 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers

The server log you provided here is not the one from the time of the ffmpeg log. the ffmpeg log actually looks OK to me. Can you repeat the process again and attach the newest log files? thanks !

Guys,  It looks like everything is working now!!  Not sure what the exact fix was because i did two things.  Rebooted PC like one of the suggestions and after that i forced the player play back to be 480.  That worked so ii bumped it up and it continued to work.  Right now i am recording one show and streaming to two other Roku's.  It does push the CPU when streaming 3 shows but it works.

You guys are awesome and a really do appreciate all of the help.

emveepee

The server log you provided here is not the one from the time of the ffmpeg log. the ffmpeg log actually looks OK to me. Can you repeat the process again and attach the newest log files? thanks !

That ffmpeg log was not ok since it was using the URL method which as you stated doesn't work with multiple tuners.

"http://127.0.0.1:8866/live?channel=6.1"

For the plugin the URL would look like Scott D's

"http://localhost:8866/live?channeloid=7161&client=MB3.1"

Martin