Cannot Stream Remotely 'Operation Could Not Be Completed'

mriksman

mriksman

Hi,

I've been trying for hours to stream live tv to my iPad/iPhone.

On the computer it is installed on, I can watch Live TV OK.

From a remote location, I can access MB3, stream movies, view the guide, but I cannot watch Live TV. When I try, it eventually errors out with a pop up saying 'Operation Could Not Be Completed'

What am I missing with the setup? I have port forwarded 8096, and when I got the error, also tried to port forward 9080 - but this had no impact.

I can stream a recorded TV show fine. So why not a direct Live TV stream?

Edited by mriksman

mriksman

I see ffmpeg start, and then stop. 

Whats really strange is that it has worked 1 time out of 50 tries  Not sure how/why. 

Pulled this from the logs if it helps

2014-02-27 20:00:18.4629 Info - App: Opening channel stream from ServerWMC, external channel Id: 4596
2014-02-27 20:00:21.0318 Info - App: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20140105\ffmpeg.exe -fflags genpts -re -i - -map_metadata -1 -threads 2  -codec:v:0 libx264 -preset superfast -b:v 256000 -maxrate (256000*.80) -bufsize 256000 -vsync vfr -profile:v baseline -level 3 -force_key_frames expr:if(isnan(prev_forced_t),gte(t,.1),gte(t,prev_forced_t+5)) -vf "yadif=0:-1:0,scale=min(iw\,426):trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -sc_threshold 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -hls_time 10 -start_number 0 -hls_list_size 1440 "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\76d7ab82-bb22-853a-7da0-4af8bd0904db.m3u8"
2014-02-27 20:00:24.4217 Info - App: Creating port map on port 8096
2014-02-27 20:00:24.9258 Error - App: Error reported by Mono.Nat: 
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
  at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.ReceiveFrom(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, EndPoint& remoteEP)
  at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.Receive(IPEndPoint& remoteEP)
  at Mono.Nat.NatUtility.Receive(ISearcher searcher, List`1 clients)
  at Mono.Nat.NatUtility.SearchAndListen()

2014-02-27 20:01:06.7671 Info - App: Opening channel stream from ServerWMC, external channel Id: 4596
2014-02-27 20:01:06.7711 Info - App: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20140105\ffmpeg.exe -fflags genpts -re -i -  -vcodec libx264 -force_key_frames expr:if(isnan(prev_forced_t),gte(t,.1),gte(t,prev_forced_t+5)) -vf "yadif=0:-1:0,scale=min(iw\,426):trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -preset superfast -crf 20 -maxrate 256000 -bufsize 512000 -vsync vfr -profile:v baseline -level 3 -map_metadata -1 -threads 2  -f mp4 -movflags frag_keyframe+empty_moov "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\49c70e3e-0106-90d9-3d76-a231954a9dad.mp4"
2014-02-27 20:01:09.3551 Error - HttpResponseExtensions: Error in HttpListenerResponseWrapper: An operation was attempted on a non-existent network connection
An operation was attempted on a non-existent network connection
System.Net.HttpListenerException
  at System.Net.HttpResponseStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
  at System.IO.Stream.Close()
  at ServiceStack.HttpResponseExtensions.CloseOutputStream(HttpListenerResponse response)

2014-02-27 20:01:10.3548 Info - App: Killing ffmpeg process for C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\transcoding-temp\49c70e3e-0106-90d9-3d76-a231954a9dad.mp4
2014-02-27 20:01:10.3548 Error - App: Error writing to standard input
The pipe has been ended.

System.IO.IOException
  at System.IO.__

saitoh183

I had the same issue and i have to make the transcoding cache folder a network location so that when i push a stream to another device it can access the cache folder since my server is not on the same machine as ServerWmc.

I had set it to e:\Shared then i changed it to \\srv-saitoh-app\Shared and Live TV worked

Edited by saitoh183

mriksman

But wouldn't that affect all streams (Movies, TV Shows, Recorded TV)? My issue seems specific to Live TV.

It played again; that's 2 times out of 100. Not sure what I did different again...

saitoh183

Im not sure if it would affect the rest since i dont know if the Transcode cache folder is used when your pushing local media. I know that my issue was specific to live TV and when i changed that , all worked well

krustyreturns

You are right, if the recorded tv folder is not shared it will effect both recorded and live streams. 

mriksman

So if Recorded TV works fine, it's not the Shared Folder issue then. That folder gets shared as parting the Xbox Extender setup, and Recorded TV streams fine.

Anything else to look at based on the log snippet? Why would it randomly have worked twice? Would slow upload speeds cause it (anyone else in Australia on ADSL2?)

saitoh183

So if Recorded TV works fine, it's not the Shared Folder issue then. That folder gets shared as parting the Xbox Extender setup, and Recorded TV streams fine.

Anything else to look at based on the log snippet? Why would it randomly have worked twice? Would slow upload speeds cause it (anyone else in Australia on ADSL2?)

What is your Cached Folder in MB3 server set to?

streaming live tv to apple devices requires a different kind of video stream and it has not been heavily tested. we are working on it right now because it is also needed for Roku. so stay tuned.

mriksman

Has anyone else use iPad/iPhone with 100% success. I'm still trying to work out why it worked twice out of the 100 odd times I tried.

Does the log snippet indicate anything?

mriksman

streaming live tv to apple devices requires a different kind of video stream and it has not been heavily tested. we are working on it right now because it is also needed for Roku. so stay tuned.

Spot on. I just tried using a laptop remotely and it works every time.

Too bad it's not my laptop... Would love to see this working 100% on the iOS devices. Have donated some $$$ to help :)

Must say, I am super impressed with MB3 so far. Ceton have been left in the dust!