Dashboard playback controls not working

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

The dashboard controls to pause, stop, and send messages don't seem to be working. Clicking on the stop or pauses button fails to do anything.

5996633327524_ezgif362e204415e.gif

For roku we need a new method of receiving the commands because what we're using now gets terminated by the Roku very easily and it's not something we can control.

Jdiesel

Can't the stream just be dropped on the server end? Does the client have to request the stream to be ended?

@@Luke it works just fine with the blue neon on roku. Is something going to change on the server side regarding roku? Will the change not affect BN? Is there some future version I need to adjust to?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Jdiesel

My temporary solution is killing the server completely for a minute or two giving the stream enough time to timeout and fail. If you bring the server back up too soon plackback will automatically resume. The downside to this is that all users are booted out. This is the only way to stop runaway usage in a Roku client that can eat up valuable bandwidth and CPU resources.

Jdiesel

I found a slightly better way to kill Roku streams without kicking all users out. I grab the users IP address from the recent activity on the dashboard and block it with my firewall.

sudo ufw deny from 111.111.111.111 to any

Wait a minute, then delete the rule

@@Luke it works just fine with the blue neon on roku. Is something going to change on the server side regarding roku? Will the change not affect BN? Is there some future version I need to adjust to?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

@@speechles, the Roku will kill the web server after a couple minutes of idle time, and even during video playback. I saw this with the old app so from my viewpoint it is nothing new. For the old app there's no choice, it's either use that or use nothing, I think the newer sdk might have newer techniques that we can use to communicate from server to app, but we haven't fully investigated yet. And no, your app won't break, we'll keep the http request method going.

@@Luke nice to know. Thanks for answering it succintly too. :)

The issue with roku is that the port it advertises to emby server through which to use to communicate with its session as port 8324. Now with internal networks this works. It is when used on external users with rokus that things cant work. Their router blocks the 8324 request and you cant reach their roku. To reach it you must have them forward their port 8324 on their router to their roku, which then can only every reach that one roku, not multiple. For some external roku users this is never going to happen to get their external roku users to forward ports. This is the problem I was bringing up. That even if you change ports, the same issue pops up its head again. The nature of things today is clamp ports down, trust no one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

• 9 months later...

This still does not appear to be working. Is there a fix coming soon? Thank you!

Is the Roku on the local LAN?  It will not work remotely.

orbitron

Is the Roku on the local LAN?  It will not work remotely.

All my Rokus are remote. I like being able to kill their streams when they keep them paused for days.

Thank you!