Forced subtitles don't work

lifespeed

@@Luke, you think we're all posting here because it works correctly?

I'm saying we're talking about two different things. If you test on a file you've never played before I think you'll see it works correctly.

daedalus

I'm saying we're talking about two different things. If you test on a file you've never played before I think you'll see it works correctly.

i did but the "forced only" subtitle mode still selects the default or first forced stream regardless the preferred subtitle language setting

and why, if you want this stream remembering, is only selecting "none" subtitle mode overwriting the remembered subtitle selection? this is not a very consequent implementation

Edited by daedalus

lifespeed

I realize that.  So, you're saying as long as it follows the file language configuration the first time that is good enough?  If the file language tags are corrected, it is not important that Emby reads the language tags and acts on them correctly any time other than the first time it plays the file?

I'm not sure what benefit remembering individual movie subtitle configurations is supposed to offer, or how this would be superior to correctly following language tag cues encoded in the file (every time, not just once and then sticking with that forever), but from what I can see this causes unexpected behavior and breaks automatic subtitle handling functionality.

Edited by lifespeed

daedalus

as said imho stream remembering sould be a user setting and if set to yes only (or also as an option) should apply if you resume a file

this the only cause where it make a practical sense to finish a file how you left it

lifespeed

I do think that when playing a show/movie from the start, it should always adhere to the default we have chosen. When resuming, have it remember the choice we made while playing. Then once finished playing, that choice is forgotten. It makes having the default choice of language and subs, redundant. Let's say we have a guest in our home, that requires a different choice. Once watched, and they leave, I have no desire to retain the choice :)

I'm not sure what benefit remembering individual movie subtitle configurations is supposed to offer, or how this would be superior to correctly following language tag cues encoded in the file (every time, not just once and then sticking with that forever), but from what I can see this causes unexpected behavior and breaks automatic subtitle handling functionality.

as said imho stream remembering sould be a user setting and if set to yes only (or also as an option) should apply if you resume a file

this the only cause where it make a practical sense to finish a file how you left it

• 2 months later...

Maybe not the right place for this, but I also think the "smart" option isn't smart enough. On a global basis, my preference would be that the subtitles only show when the audio is in a foreign language. BUT, I also think that any forced subtitles should also show (so "smart"+"forced"). Usage is to show subtitles during scenes in movies where the dialogue is in a different language. That dialogue would be labeled "forced", but then we'd have to switch the settings from "smart", then back again for foreign language movies.

Probably an easy change... but I know there's a long list...