Chromecast Randomly Stops Videos

MongarEric

MongarEric

I am trying to cast to a chromecast ultra, but playback will randomly stop and skip to the next episode in the queue.  Not even sure if this is an Emby bug, because I tried several other apps in an attempt to cast the episodes, and the same thing keeps happening.  I've attached my logs, just in case.

Edited by MongarEric
  • Like 1

It is copying the original video stream as is and just converting the audio. If you lower the chromecast quality setting to a bitrate smaller than the video bitrate, then that will cause it to fully transcode and there's a good chance that will resolve it.

Just be aware that this setting will also cause transcoding for other files, so you may want to set it back to Auto when finished with this file. In the future we can probably look automatically switching from stream copy to transcoding when this type of failure happens.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Like 1

MongarEric

Is the origin of this problem the fact that the source video has Dolby 5.1 audio, which can't be cast, so the audio is converted, but the video attempted to be left alone?  Just curious.

I got it to Transcode, but seemed to do the same thing.  I'm gonna have to try to do it again to get logs.

No, that audio should be fine. perhaps we are using a bitrate that is too much for your network to handle. Try setting the chromecast bitrate setting to 3mbps. If successful, you can raise it after that. You can configure this within the casting app that you're sending from.

MongarEric

No, that audio should be fine. perhaps we are using a bitrate that is too much for your network to handle. Try setting the chromecast bitrate setting to 3mbps. If successful, you can raise it after that. You can configure this within the casting app that you're sending from.

I'm on a wired gigabit network, but I live in an old house and I think there are 2 or 3 switches between the source NAS and this particular Chromecast.  I'll try moving it to the same switch and see if that helps.

MongarEric

I also have this issue from with the web app in Chrome browser. Sounds identical, here's my post still unresolved: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48347-streaming-sometimes-closesreopens-constantly/

The weird thing for me is I have an HTPC in the same room that plays the videos just fine.  I got the Chromecast Ultra in an attempt to move away from the HTPC, because casting from your phone is a much simpler interface that is much more wife-friendly.  As a curiosity, I watched some videos on the HTPC using Emby Theater for Windows, and had no issues.