#101 chyron8472 OFFLINE  

chyron8472

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

Right. I wasn't suggesting I'd do that, but perhaps transcode on the fly to my phone if my source is 4K.

How did you get the VRTV app to connect to your Emby server? I entered my local address in the "Open network stream" pop-up and it doesn't connect. 

You don't use VRTV as a front end for Emby Server a la Kodi. You tell the Emby client app to "Enable External Video Players" (in User Settings -> Playback). When you try to play a video in the Emby client, your device will ask you which video player you want to open it with. Nearly everything is happening through Emby, but Emby just feeds the stream to another app during playback.

Edited by chyron8472, 24 January 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#102 VaporTrail OFFLINE  

VaporTrail

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM
  • LocationGo Leafs!

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

You don't use VRTV as a front end for Emby Server a la Kodi. You tell the Emby client app to "Enable External Video Players" (in User Settings -> Playback). When you try to play a video in the Emby client, your device will ask you which video player you want to open it with. Nearly everything is happening through Emby, but Emby just feeds the stream to another app during playback.

Ah makes sense, thanks a lot!

#103 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 131427 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:17 PM

I finally had the time & cash to setup my own media server. Hurray. Using the asus vivomini un68u (8th gen 25W Core i5u, HD620) - it's awesome and very powerful for it's tiny tiny size!

I tried both Plex and Emby running side by side running on top of W10. 

Couldn't get headless hardware transcoding working properly with Plex+W10 (Tried everything, latest drivers, reinstall, HDMI dummy etc.). . Worked flawelessy with Emby on W10, didn't even need a HDMI dummy. 

Kodi integration is far superior with Emby. If you use Kodi, Plex really isn't an option. There is no comparison. 

Emby client for Android is better and have more options, such as aspect ratio (no zoom though =/ ). 

Emby has better built in subtitle support. Had lots of problems with Plex and subtitles when transcoding. The subtitle add-on "Subzero" for Plex is awesome though and much better than anything available for Emby. I'm using a third party W10 app in order to fetch subtitles from addic7ed and subscene. 

Plex is a bit bloated. I didn't care much for the News channel etc. Had to spend some time disabling/hiding that stuff. 

I'll buy a lifetime emby license after giving it a few more months, but for my setup, Emby proved to be the far superior option. All in all both options are good and powerful depending on your needs and it's great to have a fallback option. 

One thing that really surprised me is the lack of features in both Plex and Emby media clients (Android, IOS). Touch support is weak, very few/next to no customisation options for aspect ratio/zoom, pixel ratio, subtitle configuration, adjust audio delay, adjust subtitle delay and so forth. I expected that both the Emby and Plex media clients would have a video player comparable to MX video player or the likes.  And this is why the Kodi integration with Emby is so great, because it gives you all those options. Touch support is still bad within Kodi itself though, but managable considering all the features. 

Addic7ed is now in the Emby plugin catalog. You'll need to configure your Addic7ed credentials in the plugin configuration. Enjoy.

• chyron8472 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users