TV Show episode interrupted by Theme Playback

F688

mentasm

OK, managed to do a test last night.  Opened a TV series via next up and hit play straight away.  Watched the timer and got to about 1:50 into the show and play stopped and it switched to theme video, but the theme didn't actually play.  

Went and checked the theme video file for that show and it is 53 seconds long.  So, no, then length doesn't correlate

mentasm

After more usage and testing it does definitely seem that the issue occurs when a video is started before the theme video has started to play while in the details screen.

My machine now doesn't actually successfully play the theme video, but it thinks it is.  I just get a black screen.  As soon as I hit the stop button on the remote I get dropped back to the details screen and can resume the intended video playback

mentasm

@@Luke with the information above have you tried to recreate the issue?  I seem to be able to cause the issue at will now by playing a video quickly before the theme video kicks in.

mentasm

in my case media sits on large and slowish SATA disks which are allowed to sleep due to inactivity.  Not an uncommon configuration in an always on media centre.

• Like 1

jscoys

in my case media sits on large and slowish SATA disks which are allowed to sleep due to inactivity. Not an uncommon configuration in an always on media centre.

I’ve got the same configuration sooooo. Maybe Emby is trying to launch the backdrop but can’t because the hard drive is in a “wakeup” state. Then we push “play” before the backdrop plays. The video starts playing but after a certain time Emby remembers that he has to play the backdrop and then inject in to MPV, so the current playback stops and then the backdrop start playing. Indeed on configurations where disks are always on it should happen less, I suppose... but this behaviour is reinforced when playing from outside home from ET because of the Internet latency you get...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mentasm

Yeah, I don't think it should be that hard to put in some logic to prevent theme playback if there is already a video in play state

FairfaxStu

Yes. As one of the original folks who posted about this, my disk arrays, while not slow, do have an idle spin down enabled which sometimes does trigger during playback because I have an 8G cache on the controller. Now that I have read all of the posts of similar experiences, it seems that the issue is likely related to Emby trying to playback the video but the disk is still waking up and some sort of logic triggers it to play the theme. The odd part is that the video and the theme are co-located in my case (and probably for every case) so the disk has to wake up for Emby to read either one.

aspdend

Yes. As one of the original folks who posted about this, my disk arrays, while not slow, do have an idle spin down enabled which sometimes does trigger during playback because I have an 8G cache on the controller. Now that I have read all of the posts of similar experiences, it seems that the issue is likely related to Emby trying to playback the video but the disk is still waking up and some sort of logic triggers it to play the theme. The odd part is that the video and the theme are co-located in my case (and probably for every case) so the disk has to wake up for Emby to read either one.

Exactly the same for me - that's the bit I don't understand...if the episode/movie file is on the same disk as the theme video/music, how can the main file start playing before the theme kicks in 20-30 seconds later?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Logos302

This is still happening.  I'm not sure what more to add it looks like everyone has provided lots details, but if you need more.  Just ask.  As everyone else it doesn't always happen, but when it does it really annoying.  It also doesn't seem to happen to all users.  Which makes me think it might be a different setting like play trailers, or intros that is some how interfering and being triggered 30+second in.

• 8 months later...
jscoys

Soooooo.... I can reproduce it!

The issue is due to the fact that the main player in ET is trying to open a file to play, then you launch the main movie/tv show, and finally after some times the old file he tried to open becomes available and override the playback...

To reproduce:

- put a theme.mp3 in a movie directory for instance

- do a scan library

- delete the theme.mp3 file

- DON’T DO A SCAN LIBRARY

- open ET, go on the movie page, it will start trying to open the theme.mp3...

- start playback of the movie

- everything is fine, then several minutes after the playback stops and the main backdrop is displayed...

It’s not exactly exactly what the issue is, but I think it’s the closest and best way to reproduce it. Hope it will help, keep us posted @@Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
mentasm

Still occurs for me.  Can reproduce it at will.  Super annoying.

If there is a theme video and you do not wait for it to start playing in the background before you select play it will start trying to play the theme video after about 30 seconds.  Happened to me on xmas eve when I sat down to watch Die Hard.

Theme videos seem to typically take a few seconds to start playing after a media details screen is entered.  I guess this isn't an issue for people who get their theme videos playing instantly.  No idea why mine is slow.  OS is on an SSD.  Media is on local SATA disk. Reasonable i5 CPU and 8Gb RAM.  No network shares involved.  Server and client both on same machine.

mentasm

Thanks.  Once again, I'm happy to help troubleshoot or provide data etc to get the issue resolved

In the coming weeks we actually are going to be reworking the audio player to support gapless playback. Due to the scope of the changes I would say let's re-evaluate once we have that feature in, because I have a feeling it might affect this. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
jscoys

In the coming weeks we actually are going to be reworking the audio player to support gapless playback. Due to the scope of the changes I would say let's re-evaluate once we have that feature in, because I have a feeling it might affect this. Thanks.

@@Luke still happening, and it’s worst when playing from outside with ET... can you have a look to this long time ongoing issue please?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk