TV Show episode interrupted by Theme Playback

F688

swhitmore

I haven't noticed it with songs, but that could be because they load faster.

aspdend

I have experienced this with theme videos, but not songs - like the others post above, if the episode is started before the theme video plays then video playback is interrupted. This doesn't occur where I have local theme videos but only where they seem to be dragging them down from the interweb...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to do something about it and I test it constantly. I guess I just can't get my theme videos to start slow enough to create the issue.

Question - for those who have the Emby Theater Windows Store app installed, does it reproduce with that, or is this limited to the desktop app only?

Also, can you test and see if it happens with http://tv.emby.media ?

Thanks !

mentasm

I had it happen a couple more times again on the weekend with TV episodes and movies.  I am using the desktop app.  Bit hard to test with web app as it is so random.  I'll try using it a bit when the wife isn't watching TV with me

jordy

just to add my experience, I watch several TV episodes every night using ET desktop 2.8.2 on an old (about 4-5yrs) i3 laptop (server is i7 2700k about 4yrs old) and have never had this happen. Don't watch movies that often but haven't seen it then either.

swhitmore

I would love to do something about it and I test it constantly. I guess I just can't get my theme videos to start slow enough to create the issue.

Question - for those who have the Emby Theater Windows Store app installed, does it reproduce with that, or is this limited to the desktop app only?

Also, can you test and see if it happens with http://tv.emby.media ?

Thanks !

Hi Luke, it happens with both. I'll try the web version when I can, but it's not always the easiest thing to reproduce. Everything on my server is on multiple hard drives. I'm wondering if the delay for the themes is due to slow hard drive spin-up time. Regardless of the cause however, is there no way to prevent the theme playing if something else already is? I haven't had a good look lately, but is there a way to toggle off themes?

aspdend

What I have noticed on my setup is if I use my htpc (i5 3570, 16GB RAM, Geforce 1050Ti GPU) with the Theatre desktop App which is connected via Cat6a cable to my gigabit switch and then router, I have this issue. However, if I use my desktop PC using the chrome browser (Pentium G4560, 16Gb RAM, AMD 7770) again connected via Cat6a cable to my gigabit switch and then router, I have no issues - themes start instantly. Both are accessing the same UnRAID server for content, which is again connected via Cat6a cable to the same Gigabit switch.

• 1 month later...

4 months and still happening, why can't it just be set to where if it's already playing something then anything named "theme.xxx" is denied playing?

4 months and still happening, why can't it just be set to where if it's already playing something then anything named "theme.xxx" is denied playing?

Sorry, i have tested this quite a bit but haven't reproduced it yet. I will test it again, thanks.

jscoys

Hello Luke, hope it could help but I had the problem, more specifically when ET is in remote, so connecting trough internet. In fact it seems that if you go on a movie page and quickly click on “play” before the video backdrop load, it starts the movie but when the video backdrop is becoming available it takes over the current movie playback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swhitmore

It was still happening for me, so I've just disabled video and audio backdrops for now by renaming them. Would it be possible to have a toggle to switch the feature on and off?

It was still happening for me, so I've just disabled video and audio backdrops for now by renaming them. Would it be possible to have a toggle to switch the feature on and off?

There already is.

• Like 1

Hi Luke, it happens with both. I'll try the web version when I can, but it's not always the easiest thing to reproduce. Everything on my server is on multiple hard drives. I'm wondering if the delay for the themes is due to slow hard drive spin-up time. Regardless of the cause however, is there no way to prevent the theme playing if something else already is? I haven't had a good look lately, but is there a way to toggle off themes?

Like swhitmore, my setup is on multiple drives including USB hard drives. I also see it occurring when it autoplays the next episode. For movies, it occurs when cinema mode is activated and you fast forward through the trailers/intros.

mentasm

press play on a TV show or movie and begin watching it.  Seems about 1 in 5 will randomly stop playing after about 30 seconds and begin playing the theme video.  After pressing stop, you can then select resume and go back to where you were on the tv show/movie.  Amazing that here 4 months on this still hasn't been seriously addressed

Ok question: could you describe exactly what you do to reproduce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From home screen select a show that has a video backdrop and hopefully isn't readily cached, open show and immediately hit play before the backdrop loads. Let play for a few minutes and boom it stops playing and switches to backdrop. It may not work if you have a really fast SSD and the backdrop is already cached.

• Like 1

mentasm

I hadn't related the timings.  You might be onto it.  I quite often go straight in to a tv or movie and press play almost instantly.  I'll pay a bit more attention.  Most of my media is on secondary drives / usb drives. Themes are obviously stored locally with the media.  sometimes there is a little disk wake up time, so may not be unusual for the theme video to not have time to begin playing before I press play.

@@Luke can you reproduce this issue if you test with tight timings between entering the details screen and pressing play on the media?

I tried to reproduce by adding an artificial delay to theme video playback, but still couldn't.

You're saying that after 30 seconds or a few minutes this happens - is there any correlation with that amount of time? For example, does the video have multiple theme videos, and perhaps it thinks the first theme video has finished and it's moving onto the next one?

mentasm

I'm not sure if it is exactly 30 seconds into playback that it happens, but it is around that sort of time.  Quite often happens just after title sequence finishes on a TV episode.

Don't think any of my movie/tvshows has multiple theme videos