Transcoding ?

roberthleeii

leebo

So are you guys saying the higher you turn up the setting (in the Roku), the LESS work the computer needs to do?

Sent from a mobile device.

MrFlibbles

So are you guys saying the higher you turn up the setting (in the Roku), the LESS work the computer needs to do?

Yes. The bit rate setting in the Roku is the max bit rate it can handle. If it is set to 3.2 and your media content is above 3.2, the server will transcode the content to be under the 3.2 threshold that has been set. If you are on a wired connection, set it to max (20Mb) and it should play most things without the server having to transcode it. However, as mentioned in above posts, if you are using certain subtitles (all subtitles?) then the server will have to transcode in order to display them on the video. The server will also transcode the audio component of the media if that audio format cannot be direct played by the Roku. At least the audio component should be far less taxing.

the default is according to roku documentation. increasing the value will reduce the load on the server, but will also increase the likelihood that the file will  fail to play.

leebo

OK. Unfortunately, I have an older Roku, without an Ethernet port, so I am limited to wireless!

But I will test to see what bitrate it can handle.