Artist Metadata & Artwork not Saving

vmcosco

vmcosco

Just added some new artists to my music library.  The albums and artists added fine and when I go into the library all is well; artist images, logos, biography, etc is all there.  If I click on "Edit Info" for any of the artists, the info is all present as well.

I noticed that artist.nfo and none of the artwork was being saved so I checked all of the artists in Metadata Manager.  There all of the lines are blank except Path, Title & Date Added.  No artwork is showing up either.

I checked the music library settings and it is still set to save metadata and images local folders.  I also checked to make sure artist NFOs were checked.

I can provide screen shots if that would help articulate the issue.

vmcosco

Which comment are you referring to because my issue is not exactly the same thing.  The metadata is not showing up in Metadata Manager despite showing correctly in the library.    Also,I have thousands of albums in my library and have always had the metadata saved to the media folders.  I did not change any settings and all settings are still as they should be.  It appears that the metadata (including images) is not being written to the file or being saved to the media folder.  This only seems to be an issue with Artists because Album NFOs were written to the media folder and TV Shows are working as well.

Happy2Play

This only seems to be an issue with Artists because Album NFOs were written to the media folder and TV Shows are working as well.

Exactly, Artists are no longer written to media folder do to everyone not using same folder structure.

It's a little tricky because it can be hard to verify that your artist folder is actually meant to be an artist folder. a lot of people just use mish mash folder structures, so it just becomes more practical to use an alternative location.

Edited by Happy2Play

Vicpa

Exactly, Artists are no longer written to media folder do to everyone not using same folder structure.

Hi,

This is dependent on the db and library schema version. If you are still using the older schema and settings (<EnableSimpleArtistDetection>false</EnableSimpleArtistDetection>) then everything is saved to the media folder.

@@Luke I can appreciate the dilemma you want to support as many different users as possible. Can't speak for all serious music collectors but the use of taggers like picard and mp3tag that have options to move tracks to a standard file structure, really mitigates this concern. emby does a great job with the default settings of picard, id-ing albums and artists correctly.

My reluctance to move the newer location, is based on the portability and ease of backup of my music collection. If you add missing metadata and art, having it all in one place is a must.

I put in a FR to display some identifier of db and library version, to make these issues easier to trouble shoot. For example if @@vmcosco could tell us server version x library y. Happy could say definitely it should be in z location.

anyway just my two cents.

thanks.

-vicpa

• Like 1

vmcosco

That is an unfortunate development for those of us who have structured our music library in a standard fashion.

Also, does this change mean that the artist metadata and artwork will no longer show (or be editable) from the Metadata Manager?  That is part of my issue as well.  Are there Artist NFOs still saved somewhere?

This is dependent on the db and library schema version. If you are still using the older schema and settings (<EnableSimpleArtistDetection>false</EnableSimpleArtistDetection>) then everything is saved to the media folder.

Can I change this setting somewhere so that I can continue to save the metadata in the artist folder?