Wake Up for Recordings

bjs339

Thanks, Abobader. I just re-uploaded the zip to the first post. I didn't realize it wasn't uploaded correctly before.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
cgremakes

I'm attempting to get this working as a service.  I get the following error in the Event Viewer:  File C:\\data\livetv\timers.json does not exist.  When I setup the Emby Server service initially, I called it "Emby Server".  It appears as though the name needs to be "Emby"?  I removed the server service and reinstalled it, just calling it "Emby", but that doesn't seem to matter.  What am I doing wrong?

cgremakes

So to run it manually, I just launch the same EmbyWakeupTrigger.exe file from the 1st post, correct?  I saw there was a separate .zip for running not as service, but I gathered that's been merged into 1 now?  It doesn't seem to do anything when I launch it.  I tried launching it and also launching as administrator.

EDIT: looking at the event viewer, it just says "The device is not ready".

Edited by cgremakes

Ok sorry I thought you were asking general Emby questions. I've never tried using this EmbyWakeTrigger community app. Hopefully the original developer can help out. Thanks!

Yes, the two different methods of execution are merged into a single zip now. The service install adds "--service" after the executable to run it as a service, but double-clicking on the file will cause it to run once. And you're correct that it's looking for a service called "Emby". Looks like that's changed so I need to update the code. But it should work now that you've renamed your service to just "Emby".

It works by reading the path of that Emby service executable and building the path to your timers.json file from there, but it seems that it's not getting your path. What OS are you on? I've never tested it on Windows 10, so I may need to update the code.

cgremakes

Yes, I am using Windows 10.  Let me know if you need me to test anything.  I'm looking at the install.bat file, and I don't see any indication it's appending --service.  Does it add that at a different point?

EDIT: I just noticed the code on github has a separate executable ProjectInstaller that must do that.  That is not included in the .zip file on the first post.

Edited by cgremakes

You don't need the project installer, you just need to execute install.bat from the zip. That will install the Emby Wakeup Server service.

I did some experimenting on a Windows 10 box and took another look at the code, and from what I see, it should work. When it starts up, it looks for a service with a Service Name of "Emby". It's looking at the service name, not the display name, as indicated in the image below. If it finds that service, it reads the Path to Executable, concatenates on "\data\livetv\" and looks for a file called timers.json.

Can you take a look at the image below and tell me what values you have for Service Name and Path to Executable? This is for the Emby Server service, not the Emby Wakeup Trigger service.

Thank you for your help.

5a72646fe2816_131201874126PM.png

cgremakes

Yours is definitely different than mine.  It's possible I used an outdated guide to setup my Emby server service.  I'm using nssm to run Emby as a service, so my path to .exe is just pointing to the nssm.exe file.

That's OK. If you can find your timers.json file I can update the app to make that a parameter that you can set rather than reading the location out of the Emby service. I was thinking of doing that anyway.

OK, I just updated the original post with a new version. Go ahead and download and install it. You might have to run the uninstall.bat first before you install the new version.

Now, if you place a text file called config.txt in the same directory that the EmbyWakeupTrigger.exe is in, this version will read the path to timers.json out of that text file instead of searching the service. A sample file is attached to this post. It's very simple, just "timerPath=...".

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.

And remember, you can run the executable manually and it should update your Task Scheduler with wakeups for recordings. Otherwise, it doesn't do anything until you make or edit a recording in Emby - it won't just pick up existing recordings as soon as you install it.

config.txt

cgremakes

Hmmm, didn't seem to work for me manually or as a service.  I uninstalled the existing one and completely deleted the old version and replaced it with the one from the first post.  The .txt file contains the following:

timerPath=C:\Users\media-pc\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\data\livetv\timers.json

Not sure if there are dependencies I'm missing or what?  It's possible it's my system, not the program.

My mistake - the code actually adds on "\data\livetv\timers.json" itself. What if you just set this in your config file:

timerPath=C:\Users\media-pc\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata

• 4 weeks later...