Questions from an Emby Noob :-)

Sesam

Hello everybody

Since I would soon, not quite without a personal background, in my apartment a MediaServer would like to set up myself now let the professionals advise what is the best approach. In order to do this, you will certainly need the task area and the hardware (currently) available. So I start with it simply times.

Field of activity (primary):

- Media streaming in the home network (probably by W-Lan or D-Lan)

-> Film and series collection, videos, music

- Access management based on the age of the kids

- Datagrab for the family, however, with rights management, who may place what where

Tasks (secondary)

These are not real "must have" criteria, rather Nice to have ...

- Control possibilities of the Smart Home System (I can make also over mobile phone, perhaps could be so however somewhat automation)

- Casual gaming about zb. Steam in the Splitscreen with the kids

hardware

Intel Pentium G4560 2 x 3.5Ghz with hyperthreading

MSI B150M Mortar Arctic

Seasonic G-360

2 x 4GB DDR4-2133 CL15

240GB SSD for operating system and programs

2 x TB Seagate Baraccuda (later replaced by larger NAS disks) in Software Raid for the data

Asus W-Lan Nano Stick

A graphic card (in the performance class RX470 / GTX 1050Ti) is eventually retrofitted if necessary with the casual gaming but sometimes times. Is currently however rather than medium to long term to see and accordingly also the gaming requirement from above. The hard disks are still left from my desktop. I wanted to use first to move this investment.

But now times to the approach or where the shoe presses with me ....

The first question I asked myself was which OS I take. In the close choice are currently Ubuntu in the current LTS version, Windows 10 Pro (I have from the desktop still a key over) or if I concentrate purely on the primary tasks OMV.

With Linux I have practically no experience. Have it in the past from time to time times installed, however, I am there as Windows disciples more or less failed on the text commands. In times of the fast Internet, with mobile phone and notebook may now run somewhat different, but I fear the fear that it will nevertheless be a drum without ground until everything runs smoothly. Due to family, job and other commitments, the time to read and find out what is needed is unfortunately quite limited.

Windows 10 Pro would basically not be a problem with setting up, problem solving, etc. Here, however, I am concerned that the system will be very vulnerable as a result of its widespread use in general security. Also, Windows is now not exactly the most resource-intensive OS available.

OMV ... well, I've smelled something and looked at a few screens. As a mediaserver certainly top, from the operation, I'm not sure if I'm clear. Looks for the first time quite needed to get used to.

No matter what it is now, I would like to control it from the smartphone via app. So I want to watch a movie, the server is to be woken by WoL, then can start via App the movie / the series / the video etc. The server will be in the living room and therefore have neither keyboard nor mouse except perhaps initially for setup.

Regarding the stream maybe a couple of info ...

Possible clients are expected to be as follows

- 5 Android smartphones

- 1 Nvidia Shield Tablet

- 1-2 Android tablets

- 2 XBox One

- 1 Grundig Smart TV (I have some chance to get an app here? Do not find anything on the net, otherwise I solve it via my Amazon Fire TV Stick)

- 3 TV I probably have to equip with a Pi with Kodi or similar

- 1-2 notebooks

On parallel streams I expect a maximum of 2-3 if at all, think that should create the Pentium.

Well, what do I want from you? ;-)

Which operating system would you recommend me as a basis for the Emby server under these conditions?

greeting
Sesam

OMV is a nice choice, so is FreeNAS. I wouldn't count Windows 10 out as they're working hard at making strides in efficiency.

bungee91

If you're a newb to Linux, however are open to suggestions I'd include UnRAID as an option as well.

Many people use it (myself included) for many use cases, plus Emby Server as a Docker container.

Not free, but worth it IMHO http://lime-technology.com

legallink

My opinion based on your needs and requirements is Windows 10.  It is the original platform for Emby (which has a positive or negative), it will also have programs and related for all your other needs.

Thank you for these Answers.

First off all, UnRaid look intesting. But i dont think that it wil work well for my Tasks.

At the Moment i prefer Linux Mint as a Kind of Path throught the Middle. Every where i read it is called as beginnerfriendly so i think i will try it.

The Second thing i havent found an answer up to now is my question for the Media Server.

My wife have three Kids in serveral Ages (9-17). Is it possible with Emby to say the Server "When our jungest Child log in, show her only Films with FSK 12 or lower" and so on?

I have tested Emby a few Days ago on my Notebook and with my Handy. It Looks nice and works well, but i dont know how to test the Parentcontrol features up to now.

Maybe someone can give me examples how it works?

legallink

@@Sesam you should set up a user and in the profile of that users, add the parental controls.  That will limit the content available to that user.  I don't know if it supports FSK parental controls.  I think it supports UK and the US and possibly others.

• Like 1