Square theme crashing when showing actor information

pju

Not quite sure if this is a server or a client/plugin problem.

But it is a problem having started in the last months, so it might be connected with a server

upgrade.

Disclaimer - my WMC has Danish locale - so unfortunately the logfiles and errormessages are in Danish. I've done my best with the translations :-)

My problem is that when I try to use the feature, clicking an actor in the people list to see extended information, Emby crashes with one of two messages:

---------------------

Either:

Program does not respond.

The emby programme no longer responds and you are being returned to Windws Media Center.

Or:

Invalid program

emby could not be started

---------------------

This, unforturnately, does not happen for all actors - and may even not be the case for the same actor. To me it seems like actors added to the database in the past works - while newly added does not.

The problem occur when using plugin "Square" while "Chocolate" seems to work. But still, it's quite some time a new Square version came out. 

I have attached some logfiles - 2 from Emby for WMC and 1 for the same time from Emby server,

Also a jpg showing what I tried - ie clicking on Brian Markinson --> crash.

Next I tried to seee info for Clare Danes --> worked. 

The log for Emby for WMC of course stops at crashes - but seems to correspond to this message in the server logfile: 

---------------------

2017-02-15 17:04:32.4266 Error HttpServer: Error in SharpWebSocket: An exception has occurred while receiving a message.. Exception.Message: Der kunne ikke læses data fra transportforbindelsen: En eksisterende forbindelse blev tvangsafbrudt af en ekstern vært.

-->

Could not read data from a transport: An existing connection was forcibly disonnected by an external host.

---------------------

I have tried to edit person.xml in the metadata tree - but changes made here seems not to used by Emby Server.

Emby server:  3.2.1.0

Emby for WMC: 3.0.307.0

Plugin: Square 1.13.13.0

post-151602-0-42348600-1487179442_thumb.jpg

MBClassic-1522017a2c0cc1b8ff740ba8e71c65ca3f083c9.log

MBClassic-15220171b619ec061584e0f97e72146fbbf62fd.log

server-63622774827.txt

It sounds like the problem is going to be in the theme.  If you can find a message related to the crash in the Windows Event Log then we may be able to figure a way around it.

Yes Luke, with Chocolate or Pearl in my case.

My problem is not crash issue, only of slowness acceding to the cast

I do not know how EWMC gets the cast photos, there is no problem with the backgrounds because as you already know, EWMC creates its own database for the backgrounds an folders but not for cast photos.

If you want me to do any tests I can do it, even if you want to access my Mediacenter through Teamviewer or otherwise to check something.

Edited by Teddy

Sorry, I can't find anything in Windows Eventlogs.

It seems to be a problem only with "Square".

I've tried "Classic", "Chocolate",  "Ascendancy" and "Harmony".

And none of these fails. They looks somewhat the same to me so maybe it's to be expected.

As I see it, something has changed in what Emby Server returns to the plugin, since older photos works fine.

Or, the content of people.xml has changed, but since I cannot find out how to make Emby aware of changes to people.xml, it's hard to test.

Have added the xml file for the failing actor.

I often see same problem as Teddy with the initial fetch of photos taking quite some time.

With Emby more or less frozen.

person.xml

Or that fetching all the images like all the other clients from Emby server.

I do not know if it would be a great job to modify those programming lines for that but would make EWMC work like the rest of the clients.

I think ebr would be the only one who could do it, because is the developper of EWMC.

Edited by Teddy

I don't like to give delivery estimates but I will say that I will be spending some time with EMC over the coming weeks to try and address issues like this.

• Like 2

You are great ebr  !!!!

Thanks for your effort and for EWMC not to be Emby's "ugly duckling".

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Edited by Teddy

Just FYI - I can hopefully address the slow loading issue but this particular crash probably not as it is within the custom Square theme.

I know the crash may not be fixed - on the other hand: who knows. Square has worked stable for years, maybe it will again with on an improved platform :-)

BTW: the reason for me to use Square is that it is by far the best suited for usage with mouse. The scroll lists in the other plugins, I've tried, are reacting very "nervous" on a mouse. Rolling very fast so it's hard to hit the wanted item.  Anyone of you having recommendations ?

As far as I can see, it's almost a year since Soultaker has been active, so the chances of a Square fix is pretty small, I guess.

Edited by pju

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately this did not go away with the new EWMC.

Anyone having any idea if it will have any meaning to create an errorreport on Square theme ?

• 5 weeks later...
d00zah

Yes it's always wise to make sure to run the latest version, thanks !

True, but most people don't chase beta releases unless they are aware that it addresses something specific. Is this beta slated to go stable anytime soon? Seems quite reliable.

Agree with d00zah - on both :)

Unfortunately it did not fix the Square Theme crashing problem - but it sure has helped on the loading time for those working.

Guess I'll have to look out for another theme.