Movie description while browsing library

ike301

Forgive me if this question has been asked already or if I'm simply missing something. Using the Android TV app on the Nvidia Shield TV, is there a way to see movie descriptions while navigating, without having to go into the actual folder? I've looked at all the possible settings, but can't seem to get this work. Does this feature exist? 

If you are inside one of the library views, it is already displayed right at the top.

On the home screen, there is an option in the settings called "Show information overlay" that, when enabled, will show the description there.

The only place it isn't possible is within the full grid views.

If you are inside one of the library views, it is already displayed right at the top.

On the home screen, there is an option in the settings called "Show information overlay" that, when enabled, will show the description there.

The only place it isn't possible is within the full grid views.

Under settings from the home screen, I do not see an option anywhere that says "Show information overlay". I do see a "Show info Panel" which is already checked. On the home screen under Continue Watching, Latest Movies and Next Up TV, I see the movie/episode description underneath. However, when opening my folder called Blu-rays Library from the home screen, I only see movie length, year and rating at the top of each movie. My display preference from within this folder is Image Size = Large, Image Type = Default and Default View = Smart Screen. 

Edited by ike301

Yes, it is "Show Info Panel" sorry.

It sounds like you are getting the full grid view for that library.  What is the library type?  If it is mixed then that would be the case.  It needs to be one of the specific types.

The folder library type is set to movie. I keep my TV episodes in another folder called TV shows and that folder library is set to TV. I let Emby scrape for metadata for my TV episodes, but use Media Center Master for my movie library. Do yo think that may have something to do with it? This is happening on my Mi Box and Nexus Player as well. I've reset all 3 boxes and reloaded Emby to see if that would resolve the issue. No luck. To confirm, the folder is not in full grid view. 

Yes, that is the grid view.  It just appears to have a relatively small number of items in it.  Where did you come from to get there?  Does your movie library have organizational folders at the top?

Edit: Sorry, it isn't that it has a small number of items, it is that you changed the image size to "large".  So the grid only has a single row.

How old is your Emby installation?

Yes, that is the grid view.  It just appears to have a relatively small number of items in it.  Where did you come from to get there?  Does your movie library have organizational folders at the top?

Okay, forgive my ignorance about grid view. Yes, I have organizational folders at the top. Is there any other way to keep my movie library separate from my TV shows? Should I not be using organizational folders? I just reinstalled Emby version 1.3.16g yesterday on the Shield. My server is running 3.1.2.0.

587cff41811ec_20170116_1209253.jpg

Edited by ike301

I rebuilt my server 3 months ago. From the link you provided above, I navigated to username\AppData\Roaming\Config\Users. I do not see my user ID, but a folder named "dde7b841fdd842be858cc15b288fbd67" Inside of this folder I see 3 files named config, policy and poster. When I right click the config file, I select edit and I see <PlainFolderViews />. Does this sound correct to you? Shouldn't I see my user ID instead of "dde7b841fdd842be858cc15b288fbd67" under this path? 

Edited by ike301

That is your real user id.

Do you get the same view when you enter your TV and music libraries?  Are you positive they are set to actual types and not mixed?  and positive you haven't changed the default view from "Smart" to "Grid"?

In a typed library, you should get a screen like below unless you changed the default:

587d0ee18caff_librarybrowse.png

That is your real user id.

Do you get the same view when you enter your TV and music libraries?  Are you positive they are set to actual types and not mixed?  and positive you haven't changed the default view from "Smart" to "Grid"?

In a typed library, you should get a screen like below unless you changed the default:

Yes to all of the above. I took more screen shots. I did notice one thing. When inside of the organized folder, and  I scroll down to All Items, this is where I do not see the movie description. However, if I chose the By Letter option in the organized folder, then I see the movie description below each movie. 

587d1de4e364c_20170116_1411134.jpg

587d1e2db7b33_Server.jpg

Luke - do you have any ideas here?  If he is going directly to that screen it means that those views do not have a CollectionType.  What other legacy settings or situations could cause that?

The PlainFolderViews xml setting he mentioned could cause that. This has been removed for the next release of the server, but in the meantime, if he removes that from the xml config file it should resolve it.

Thanks for all of your help today. I removed the PlainFolderViews from the config XML, but still no luck. It's not a deal breaker. Everything else works just fine. I'll wait for the next server release and hopefully that will remedy the problem.