Recording conflicts

obrienmd

lifespeed

I believe that is the case as the system will keep trying to record until a tuner becomes available.  Given that, I think including the padding would be more confusing than anything...

This user interface question has come up before, Emby was not the first DVR on the market.  While there is nothing wrong with re-examining user interface decisions made for similar products, I am going to point out that Emby is doing this differently from DVRs and Windows Media Center.

Personally, I found it completely clear when the start/stop times of a program showed the actual record times (included the padding), and changed if I changed the padding, for instance to manually correct a conflict.

It does seem as if this particular aspect of the user interface is being approached as if it has never been done before, and not much credence is given to a large body of prior art and customer experience.  All DVRs I have used "keep trying to record until a tuner becomes available", this is not new behavior either.  What is new is Emby's approach of not showing the actual record times!

Perhaps some examination of products already on the market and customer expectations as to the established user interface behaviors are warranted.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but this interface decision strikes me as a bit capricious and arbitrary in the face of numerous examples from other products.

lifespeed

I think there is some merit to the idea of including the padding time. Unless there is implicit understanding that if a conflict occurs due to padding, the padding will automatically be revoked to resolve the conflict.

Again, this is standard DVR behavior, nothing new here.  And when the padding is automatically revoked due to conflict, the scheduled record time reflects this so the user knows what is going on.

lifespeed

Just observed a recording conflict, was watching live TV with one show recording and a second scheduled to start (two tuner HDHR4-US).  Live TV kept playing, the recording did not start and no notification.  After I stopped live TV the second recording grabbed the tuner and started.

Sounds like an involved piece of work, but needed.  It would be nice to have the system tray indicator of an active recording like WMC had, nice to know at a glance when a reboot of the PC will interrupt a recording.

Edited by lifespeed

• 1 year later...
Ole Andreas Gløersen

It looks like it is no recording conflict checking.......

To bad. I'm testing with VU+ Solo2 that has two tuners. I need a fail safe recording system.

Is it correct that there are no recording conflict checking?

Edited by Ole Andreas Gløersen

At present there is not, but work on the DVR portion of Emby is scheduled, so check back on this.

• Like 1

lifespeed

At present there is not, but work on the DVR portion of Emby is scheduled, so check back on this.

That is good to hear, although it seems there are several areas of Emby, both Server and Theater, that need attention.  The DVR is certainly one of them.

It is possible to partially address the issue by buying another tuner, but the DVR feature still needs conflict notification/resolution.  And don't forget the taskbar recording notification icon like Windows Media Center had!

There is still heaps of work needed for the DVR and Emby Theatre unfortunately it is not receiving enough attention.

There is still heaps of work needed for the DVR and Emby Theatre unfortunately it is not receiving enough attention.

There are probably at least 50 things that 50 different sets of users believe should be first on our list (actually, they believe they should already be finished).

We are working as fast and as hard as we can to make everyone happy.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry to open a thread back up but I have a question regarding recording conflict.

If there are several times which a new show airs, example Street Outlaws on Discovery Channel, may have two or three airings of the new episode on over the next 6 - 12 hours. And I am using a three tuner device with 4 shows with recording starting at 8pm and one of those is Street outlaws, is/will Emby be smart enough to know via the guide so that it will record the three shows with only one showing first and then record the Street Outlaws show at a later time since there are multiple showings?

• 10 months later...
algreen82

Hi, nearly a year since the last post in this thread, any progress on this? 

Plex used to prompt me to resolve conflicts, was expecting something similar from Emby.  Unfortunately I observed the behaviour described above, just wondered if this was any nearer launching?

Understand there are a ton of other priorities which may mean this hasn't progressed.