multiple drives in 2 cases

x88dually

x88dually

just bought 1 of these and downloading software an drivers. Think i'm gonna go with the 5 drive back plane cards. 

This raid will go for 256 drives

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111960350765?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

woow, i'm a page behind

Edited by x88dually

Guest asrequested

doofus : is drive pooling like doing software raid ?

Slightly. The two main softwares are Stablebit and Drivebender. I use stablebit. They allow you to collectivize drives of any type or size.  They spread the data over all the drives, but keep the files whole. There are options to stripe and backup. Pool/drive management is much easier. If one drive fails (and you haven't enabled backup) all you lose is the data on that drive and the pool continues to function. You should check it out. You can use stablebit free for a month.

pir8radio

windows has this built in now, with support for two-way or three-way mirrors as well as parity so you do not loose data if 1 or 2 drives fail.  I have not yet messed with it... but sounds promising google  "Windows Storage Spaces".

Happy2Play

Most of what I have seen online pretty much is disappointment in "Storage Spaces".

Guest asrequested

I was looking at the 12 bay hot-swap case for a while, but I ended up getting the Norco RPC-4216, which I'm very happy with.

x88dually

i went the cheap way and added my own 5 disk hot swap enclosures to case, and mounted 1 hdd to right wall, Each enclosure has a fan, with 2 rear fans everything stays cool.

Guest asrequested

i went the cheap way and added my own 5 disk hot swap enclosures to case, and mounted 1 hdd to right wall, Each enclosure has a fan, with 2 rear fans everything stays cool.

Just today, I got my new HTPC case, (pictures here) which is like that. It comes with one hot-swap 5 bay and one standard 5 bay. Both are removable/swap-able.  

Edited by Doofus

x88dually

doofus :  Not to bash you at all.  I would rather go for less money on the rosewill's,(where nothing is attached or pre installed),  and use that money for drives.

What back planes do the Norco's use ?

Edited by x88dually

x88dually

doofus : do you know who makes the back planes on your server box ?

I may end up doing your type of setup but haven't decided yet. Just don't know if i want a rack in my rec room.

Edited by x88dually

x88dually

Thx for the links.

You got my wheels spinning and ended up buying this 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Supermicro-16-Bay-SAS2-Server-X9DR3-LN4F-2xXeon-E5-2650-8-Core-48GB-Rail-2PS/132053594352?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40757%26meid%3D9b2f59ba249a4ecb80403ea83df21b6f%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D152381709763

Now i know emby and HDHR will both run on this. And the expander in this will run another 12 hdd's going into another case if i need it. I can upgrade cpu's to v2's. TY

my wife hates you now...lmao

Edited by x88dually