Merging downloaded and recorded episodes of same series

mastrmind11

mastrmind11

@@Luke, any time frame for having recorded tv and downloaded tv show up in the same series location in the app(s)?  I remember it being mentioned a month or 2 ago.  Thanks

mastrmind11

just configure your live tv series recording path

assuming you mean set my series recording path to be the same place my downloaded series' go, I assumed that would work, but what's the "automatically organize recordings into existing series folders" option actually do then?  If it just applies to series' that are recorded, maybe the verbiage should be changed to reflect that.  I assumed it applied to global series' (which would be a pretty cool feature)  Thanks.

Edited by mastrmind11

mastrmind11

follow up question:  is the series/episode/etc info global?  ie, if i tell emby to skip recording episodes already in my library, does that apply to all episodes, or is it based on stuff I've already recorded?  I'd assume it applies to all episodes regardless of source (as long as they were scraped correctly), but I want to be certain before I make the switch.... kids shows repeat a lot.

mastrmind11

Can anyone answer my follow up question above?  Basically what I'm trying to do is keep Sonarr grabbing episodes, and setting an "Any time" series recording in Emby but setting "only record episodes not in my library" in order to cover episodes that aren't picked up by Sonarr.  Thanks

but what's the "automatically organize recordings into existing series folders" option actually do then? 

In this situation it is redundant since our Live TV recording engine can do it automatically.  Not everyone records their TV that way though so that's why it still exists.

follow up question:  is the series/episode/etc info global?  ie, if i tell emby to skip recording episodes already in my library, does that apply to all episodes, or is it based on stuff I've already recorded?  I'd assume it applies to all episodes regardless of source (as long as they were scraped correctly), but I want to be certain before I make the switch.... kids shows repeat a lot.

If the episode exists, it won't record it.  The source of the episode won't matter - just whether or not we can identify it as the same one on the schedule.

• Like 1

skurvy_pirate

So I have just recovered my server from some issue I had when trying to merge my recorded TV into my existing TV library. I describe my setup in this thread. To summarize, I have an existing library for TV located at /share/TV. Within that are Shows/Seasons file structure. I had recorded TV set to go to "/share/TV/Recorded TV" and the "Automatically Organize..." option checked. It put shows in there in the Shows/Seasons file structure as well, but they wouldn't show up in my existing library. I thought I could change my record location to be the root (/share/TV), but when I did this, the server freaked out and got stuck in a media scanning loop and started creating libraries like crazy.

What is the correct way to do this? Should I just add the "/share/TV/Recorded TV" path to my existing TV library? I would think it would get picked up already since it is contained in it, although it doesn't match the folder structure of /share/TV/{Show}{Season} that I have, so maybe that is why? Or should I try setting it to the root /share/TV again but not use the "Automatically Organize..." option?

skurvy_pirate

Ok, I got this resolved on my test server. What I did was create a new directory (NOT under my existing Movies/TV folder) and created a Recorded Movies and Recorded TV folder in that directory. Then I pointed the settings in Live TV to point to those new folders. I then changed my existing Movie/TV libraries and added the corresponding new folders to them. This makes it so there is a Recorded Movies and Recorded TV collection that shows just the recorded stuff, but if I go to my existing, larger, Movie or TV library, they show up there as well. 

mastrmind11

Ok, I got this resolved on my test server. What I did was create a new directory (NOT under my existing Movies/TV folder) and created a Recorded Movies and Recorded TV folder in that directory. Then I pointed the settings in Live TV to point to those new folders. I then changed my existing Movie/TV libraries and added the corresponding new folders to them. This makes it so there is a Recorded Movies and Recorded TV collection that shows just the recorded stuff, but if I go to my existing, larger, Movie or TV library, they show up there as well.

Cool. Does the media show as duplicate anywhere?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

skurvy_pirate

Cool. Does the media show as duplicate anywhere?

Well it shows up under Recorded TV folder and also in my main TV folder, but that is fine with me. If you don't want to have a Recorded TV folder, you could just remove it in Library settings I imagine.

mastrmind11

I figured that's be the case, didn't know whether emby would confuse recorded and non-recorded and place one in each section, thus duplicating them. Good to hear it's behaving as expected.

• 2 months later...
sytone

I just tried this. I added the recording/serise folder to my normal TV library and ticked the merge spread across folders but am not seeing the episodes. Looking in the recording folder which is at recording/ I see the missing episodes so I know they are there. 

Suggestions on getting the two folder to merge in the one TV library?

sytone

And it is fixed.... Just deleted the recordings folder. That caused the folder to merge now.. So you cannot have the same physical folder in two virtual folders?

You can, but this particular feature might not work doing that. We'll have to review it for a future update. thanks.