3.1.0 custom ffmpeg

Erik

Hi,

Just checking out the changes and it seems the default under transcoding is custom version of ffmpeg, with the path also pre-completed (I have never used a custom version.

EDIT: I switched back to use system installed version but then I get error msg of unable to locate ffmpeg and needed info ffprobe in same folder when I try to save the setting...

Thanks

Edited by Erik

I think that Emby has always used a "Custom" version of ffmpeg. It is installed along with Emby Server, probably to ensure that everything works out of the box. You have the option of installing your own version as the "System version" but I'm not sure where that's looking. Luke should be able to tell you where that is.

Thanks @@jordy

That would make sense. However, when it's on the default installed setting (use custom) it shows the selectable path on the line below. Then if you select system installed version the ability to select the path is hidden.

So unless I'm misunderstanding that seems reversed, no?

FrostByte

The way you describe what you're seeing it sounds correct to me.  If the system is installing ffmpeg for you then you don't really need to see the path as it will do all that for you and if you're using a custom version of ffmpeg which you downloaded from the ffmpeg dev site then you want to see the box where you can input the path

Here is the path it installs to if using the default Emby installed version

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\ffmpeg\20160410\ffmpeg.exe

• Like 1

sualfred

I assume it's a bug and the field is just hidden.

Just check you config file in config/encoding.xml. You should be able to set the ffmpeg path there.

<EncoderAppPath>/var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/3-1-6/ffmpeg</EncoderAppPath>
Edited by sualfred

FrostByte

Why would it be a bug?  You don't need to see the field if Emby is going to install its version because it knows where it's going to install it.

That may be the new correct way. It's just a complete change from 3.0.85 where the path field was displayed, but no path was displayed or required unless you wanted to use your own custom version.

That's why to me "system installed" sounds more like Emby installed and "custom version" sounds like I went and installed a different (non-Emby) version.

So that's why I'm not sure if it's a bug or a new definition of it.

sualfred

Why would it be a bug?  You don't need to see the field if Emby is going to install its version because it knows where it's going to install it.

Because there was a setting with "System installed version" and "Custom path". This is completely gone including the displayed path field next to it. 

Some Linux system aren't shipped with ffmpeg and you have to compile it on your own and set the path manually. 

FrostByte

That's why to me "system installed" sounds more like Emby installed and "custom version" sounds like I went and installed a different (non-Emby) version.

Correct.  System installed is Emby installed and thus the field is hidden like you described in post #3 because you don't need to enter anything

With a custom install the field is not hidden so you can tell Emby where you placed the files

So when I select system installed version...the path disappears (which makes sense) but then when I save the setting I get an error that ffmpeg cannot be found and the setting reverts to custom installed version with the path being the Emby install directory.

So I'm saying the displayed info seems mostly correct. However, I believe the function is reversed.

It should......

Select system installed (which should be the default), no path displayed...perfect (not working right now...)

Select custom (not default as it is now), user customized path is displayed and you must point to the custom ffmpeg location.

Edited by Erik
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Ya, that sounds like a bug :)  I was just commenting on what you said in post #3.  Wording sounds correct to me, just doesn't seem to work that way

sualfred

I don't even have the option to choose between  the system installed and custom version anymore ;)

TnTZdUBl.png

• Like 1

@@Luke

No......

But as I said, I went to change it from custom back to system installed thinking it was switch by mistake during the new install, but then I got an error. So, as it seems to be reversed from what it was before I spend a little time trying to figure it out, even installing Emby again to make sure.

So...yes it works but caused a problem with me as I went through the new version.