Emby on Xbox One transcoding

ivoidwarranties

ivoidwarranties

Hi, let me preface this by saying I'm not at home right now and will provide logs later...

I just got an Xbox One S and was trying the Emby. It seems like it's transcoding everything... from Live TV to my video files. My video files at h264 mkv (with vob subtitles - level 5.1).

The mkv files will direct play on my browser, Android TV (shield), and Nexus 6.

Can Emby on Xbox One direct play Live TV and the mkv format I have?

Deathsquirrel

Xbox One has relatively limited audio support and non-text subs are likely to require transcoding to burn them in though I haven't doublle checked that one.  Most devices can't handle embedded subs well.

ivoidwarranties

Attached is the media info for all of my mkv's

583dea065d669_mkv.jpg

@Luke: is Live TV supposed to transcode when played on the Xbox One?  

(this is from the Emby server I have at work -- but it's the same codec info at home... I'll provide server logs when I get home.)

That example will transcode if the subtitles are selected because the Xbox does not support graphical subtitles. What you can do is disable the subtitles and/or consider acquiring text-based subtitles which the device can handle natively.

Edit: Actually there are multiple reasons why this example will transcode. The video level is 51, while the Xbox is rated as supporting up to h264 level 41 (also known as 4.1). 

Additionally, even if that weren't an issue, the 16 ref frames is much too high for 1080p. 4 is considered the safe maximum for 1080p content, meaning, the Xbox would likely stutter and struggle to direct play it.

Who encoded this video? Whoever encoded it did so without regard to what devices may or may not be able to play it.

ivoidwarranties

I did  :mellow:

You're right -- I did encode it based on what would play out of my existing devices.  I wasn't anticipating using an Xbox One... Fortunately, I didn't encode many videos in that format.

What about direct stream of Live TV through the Emby app on Xbox One?