Emby Theater App Freezes - Xbox One

drbond01

drbond01

Hello, 

I have been having an issue when watching longer movies on my Xbox one with the emby theater app that was created for it. 

after around an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes, the movie completely freezes up.  i can back out of the movie, to the about page, but if i try to resume i just get a black screen.  i have to go back to the xbox home screen, quit out of the app, and then reload it and then resume the movie to be able to finish it up.

does anyone know if this is an actual issue or is there just a setting that i need to change somewhere?

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

drbond01

Thanks. As a test, can you try turning off cinema mode and see if that gets your movie started again? Thanks !

Deathsquirrel

It's not cinema mode as I don't use it and have this issue.

From my logs some data request simply times out.  It's not my server as it never has this problem on other clients, including ET on a NUC sitting next to the xbox.  Both have wired connections.  Something specific to the xbox or ET on the platform, not sure which.

Deathsquirrel

This one is really driving me nuts.  Another movie frozen in the last few minutes so we can't resume and would have to skip ahead 300 times or more to catch up to where it hung.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

obviously we don't want this to happen in the first place, but if you enable the option to show chapters on the detail screen then you can at least quickly begin the movie from the same scene.

Deathsquirrel

obviously we don't want this to happen in the first place, but if you enable the option to show chapters on the detail screen then you can at least quickly begin the movie from the same scene.

Good idea, I'll do that.

FrostByte

For some reason none of the show scenes on details screen options or the "Dim unselected posters" option are saving after closing the XB1 app

FrostByte

I tested it just last night and it was immediately reflected.

Yes it does that for me also and options are reflected.  However, when I close the app and restart the app the options are not checked any more.  There is no Save button so why wouldn't they be there when I restart?

1. Make changes

2. Exit to XB dashboard

3. Actually click on "Quit" the app so it's no longer running in background

4.  Restart app

5. Changes are no longer reflected

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Did you ever get the chance to retry after "Quiting" the app?  I can still replicate the problem every time.  Settings on Default Skin page (show scenes, dim posters, etc) aren't being saved after you quit the app.  You have to actually click on "quit" before restarting app

Thanks

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Problem of settings on Default Skin page not being saved after quiting app looks to be solved with new version of XB app loaded last night.  Thanks

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
FrostByte

I see the same hanging.  Though it seems to happen right about every 45 -55 minutes into a movie/tv episode for me.  You can almost set your clock to it.  Exiting back to the dashboard, clicking "exit" app, then going back in and restating the movie gets it going until the next hang.

• 2 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Hello,

I also experience the playback freezing on Xbox One S after approximately 40 minutes of playback.  If Emby Theater responds to the remote, I can sometimes skip back and it recovers playback.

UnderMiner

Hello,

Emby Theater on Xbox One S consistently hangs when deleting media.  For example, I routinely deleted recorded TV and the app turns grey and does not respond to the media remote.  The only solution is to return to the Xbox menu and even after using other apps, it is still frozen after many minutes.  When returning to Emby Theater, it may crash back to the Xbox home screen before it is ready to use again.

• 1 month later...
UnderMiner

Hello,

We continue to use Emby on Xbox One S daily and have the same issues as posted earlier.

1. The software freezes at approximately one hour into movies.  This would not be as much of an issue if the Xbox software would allow us to return to that location or have a much faster ability to scan or skip through content.  Emby Server works perfectly with any web browser and is very fast using a mouse to skip to a specific spot in a program.  Emby theater for Xbox is not practical for skipping or for locating a specific spot in a program; at least not at the moment.  Hopefully this is much improved in the future.

When the movie stops after one hour, we watch the balance using a Windows PC and a browser in order to quickly return to the location in the program.

2. The Xbox Emby Theater still locks often when deleting content as mentioned in the post 22 January 2017 - 09:38 AM.

The only symptom is that it seems to lock up more frequently when we delete the program before it is finished playing or soon after stopping playback.

Overall this is a good product but we hope to see continued refinement on the Xbox.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Hello,

We continue to use Emby on Xbox One S daily and have the same issues as posted earlier.

1. The software freezes at approximately one hour into movies.  This would not be as much of an issue if the Xbox software would allow us to return to that location or have a much faster ability to scan or skip through content.  Emby Server works perfectly with any web browser and is very fast using a mouse to skip to a specific spot in a program.  Emby theater for Xbox is not practical for skipping or for locating a specific spot in a program; at least not at the moment.  Hopefully this is much improved in the future.

When the movie stops after one hour, we watch the balance using a Windows PC and a browser in order to quickly return to the location in the program.

FYI you can chapter skip using the on-screen skip control and then the 30 second increments on the remote should get you back in short order when this happens far enough in that resume isn't an option.

• 4 weeks later...
FrostByte

With the latest update from Xbox One and the latest ET 1.1.93 from last night I got two movies to play with no freezing.  I haven't seen the issue since updating.  Before this I was never able to play a movie without it freezing every 45 - 60 into the movie.  Looks very promising.

• 2 weeks later...
UnderMiner

Thanks DeathSquirrel, I saw your advice earlier.

Using the incremental skip works well on TV shows that we record but it is very slow on other content that needs more transcoding.  Our server is an i5-2500K with 16GB of RAM but it struggles with a 15 second skip on a two hour movie.  It takes so long to transcode and recover that t is simply not practical.

Are you aware of any Emby Theatre for Xbox improvements on the horizon for moving quickly to a location using the XBox remote?  One example is to move to a location 25 minutes into a two hour file that does not include chapters.

I don't believe it is a server issue because the experience is much better on the PC (using browser or app) than it is on the XBox.  On the PC, simply click on the desired location and it is essentially instant.