25 replies to this topic

#21 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46041 posts
  • Local time: 09:53 PM

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:51 AM

@ebr The only suggestion I would make, is change the text to resume when that is what it's doing. It's a little confusing seeing play next when you're in the middle of an episode.

From the perspective of the Series (where this button is) you are always "resuming" but I think using that terminology would be confusing to many.  Therefore, I think using it in this case would also be confusing (What happened to "Play Next Up"?)...

#22 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11741 posts
  • Local time: 06:53 PM

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:17 AM

From the perspective of the Series (where this button is) you are always "resuming" but I think using that terminology would be confusing to many. Therefore, I think using it in this case would also be confusing (What happened to "Play Next Up"?)...

That doesn't make any sense. Playing next up when you are in the middle of an episode, is incorrect. You aren't playing the next episode, you're playing the same episode. If this is how you think, then just call it "Play". It shouldn't stay as is. I considered it an error and I was waiting for it to be fixed.

#23 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46041 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Playing next up when you are in the middle of an episode, is incorrect. You aren't playing the next episode

You are on a Series screen not an Episode one.  From the perspective of the episode you are correct but from the perspective of the Series, you are playing the next up episode.  That is - the episode that appears as "Next Up" right below the button you are hitting.

As I said, we considered just calling this button "Resume" all the time because, from the Series perspective, that is what you are doing - resuming the series.  But we think people won't really understand that.

The only thing I think we could possibly do to help here would be to make it say "Play Next Up - resume from x:xxx" when  the next up episode happens to be a partially watched one but that gets to be too much text on the button.

#24 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11741 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:34 AM

I disagree. It makes me nervous that the Android mentality is creeping in.

#25 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46041 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

Not sure what the "Android mentality" is as this has nothing to do with any platform but after some discussion, Luke and I think we've come up with something that will work much better in both situations.

Basically, we'll just be specific about what is being played or resumed as opposed to using generic terminology.  That way there should be no confusion.

#26 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 11741 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:44 PM

All good. I'll get used to it :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Play All, Play Next

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users