New movies listed as having subtitles when they don't.

orcist

I can usually figure out anything I need to know using the Wiki guide or reading the forum, but this has me stumped. The reports have started showing my newly added movies as having subtitles:

580102311b3cc_EmbyReport.png

None of the above listed have subtitles. But take Saw, when I try to ply it in the Theater app (nice app!) it shows a subtitle available foe ENG. When I select it, no subtitles play.

I believe this started happening when I updated to Version 3.0.7200.0, which I'm still on. BtW, I'm not embedding any subtitles and Media Info doesn't show them. Log file attached. TIA for any assistance.

server-63612000000.txt

Luke,

When the info screen shows this:

5801075a8d9e1_SawInfo.png

I actually noticed I had a notification that Cover Art had finished updating and to restart the server. After the restart, the report no longer shows any subtitles, not even for movies that have them. But the info snippet shows a subtitle. I tried playing it again, and of course, nothing happened. Log file attached.

server-63612044205.txt

is it possible to provide a sample video for testing? because we are detecting the embedded mov_text as subtitles, and in many cases they are actually valid subtitles. maybe in your case the subtitle track does actually exist but it's just empty.

I assume you don't want me to attach the actual movie  :) How about if I encode a chapter using the same profile and attach that?

I just downloaded it. I haven't imported the file into emby server yet but i can already see that vlc detects a subtitle track. I think the track might be empty but i'm not sure we can determine that.

Latchmor

I just downloaded it. I haven't imported the file into emby server yet but i can already see that vlc detects a subtitle track. I think the track might be empty but i'm not sure we can determine that.

I've seen this before Luke. I convert all my files with FFmpeg. For files with video and audio only, if I don't remove chapter markers with '-map_chapters -1' then they are picked up as subs.

I'm using VidCoder which is based on Handbrake. I do have "Include chapter markers" enabled. But I've always had this enabled and it looks like this problem has only shown up in the last month. I haven't upgraded to a new version. If I were to disable "Include chapter markers", I assume I won't get any chapters when Emby does the chapter extraction.

Btw, when I load the sample file or one of the affected files in VLC and select the subtitles, it shows "Chapter 2", so it looks like this is the issue. 

Yea unfortunately I think this technique was introduced by someone who decided they wanted to be able to store chapter information within mp4, and now it has gotten popular but is causing a number of video players to mis-interpret them as subtitles.

Given that vlc is doing this, and both vlc and emby rely on ffmpeg, I am not sure it will be worth me spending additional time on. I have looked into it before and based on the ffprobe data I don't see a way to determine if they are chapters or subtitles.

I unchecked "Include chapter markers" for a new encode and imported it into Emby. I was surprised to see that chapters were extracted for it anyway. I was under the impression I needed to supply the chapter markers. I guess I was mistaken. If I don't provide the markers, how does Emby know where to create chapters?

Luke and Latchmor, thank you both for your help.

• Like 1