1. I'm not here to defend the work of other Kodi add-ons. As far as I'm concerned, considering the sheer amount of work that's been put into the project, I think we are on a different level than other Kodi add-ons. There's a reason Plex decided to copy our project.
2. You say you want to use Kodi because it's the best player, so what library function would you be missing compared to the web client? Do you have an example?
3. Yeah, the proposed setup should do it. I've used Kodi by itself for a long time. With the emby add-on, I find the Kodi experience to be more stable because it does not maintain the library. Instead the add-on just syncs what you have on your server. There's no automatic background check, everything is done in real time. So there's minimum strain put on the rpi. The biggest step is getting your Emby library synced which can take some time on low powered device. After that, it should be smooth sailing.
4. There's other Emby apps that will also direct play most of your content. But if you want direct play 100% of the time, then yes the Emby add-on with native playback mode will give you this with minimum impact on your device. With add-on playback, you can also direct play all of your content. However, it's more demanding of low powered devices since the add-on retrieves paths in real time from your server. However with add-on playback, this is the way to allow for remote playback to work in Kodi. For LAN low powered device only, go with native playback mode and you are set.
Can't really comment on that, I've never used the dlna aspect of the server. You speak of sharing and flexibility, but can you even use dlna outside the server's network?...
1. I wish you all the best - keep it up
2. This was just a theoretical thing... I did not want to get used to any native kodi library functions that I would miss in the Webinterface. But I dont even know what that could be. So not important.
4. Wow... ok, that sounds really great if it does work. I stand by my before mentioned oppinion concerning kodi addons for a stable setup, but what you did is really, really cool and I will be using it. Many thanks! I just saw emby as a DLNA Server but it did not really work perfectly for me. Then I tried the atv4 emby app. Really cool but very limited in playback formats. Why transcode if you dont have to? - no sense there... So if I understood you correctly with the kodi-emby addon I get all the good kodi stuff plus directplay from my emby server? sound really great... I will try tomorrw as it is very late...