Live TV – Channel Mapping

taylorbourne

taylorbourne

Recently I've finished setting up my IPTV service with Emby. Below are just a few features I think would go a long way with other users I know face the same challenges. Also, I believe this support puts Emby ahead of competitors in the space.

• Tell Emby not to try to automatically map channels for a given provider
    The auto mapping feature is great, however it would be nice to import a schedules direct line up and not have Emby try to map channels. For example, if I have a few UK channels I'd like to map I don't want Emby overriding other channels unnecessarily.
  • Change the sort order of the guide providers
    If I have 3 guide providers, it would be nice to update their sort order in case I need one mapping to override another.
  • Clear out a mapping inside a guide provider
    Right now an administrator has the ability to select a mapping, but not clear it out. This is useful for when Emby incorrectly maps a channel.
  • Map By Station ID (!)
    When importing a SD lineup, Emby looks to the channel-id property to map the channel to guide data. This works, however it would be nice if when adding a provider the admin is prompted whether they want Emby to try mapping based on channel-id or station-id. Example situation – if I build a custom m3u playlist, I want to be able to order/group channels as I see fit (custom channel numbering) and import an SD lineup for Emby to map. In SD, each channel has a station ID that is exposed on the report page. If my m3u list has a station-id property set for each channel, Emby could easily map each one to the proper guide data.

New Guide Data Provider Flow:

+Add Guide Provider –> Select Schedules Direct –> Select map by channel id, station id, or none

+Edit Guide Provider (Map Channels) –> Clear Channel Mapping 

• 2 years later...

I see this is an old post but this is still something that is needed.  I live between three TV markets with most of the transmitters are over 50 miles away so I have to use three high gain highly directional antennas pointed in different directions.  Each antenna has it's own set of tuners connected to it and uses a special lineup I have created for it on Schedules Direct.  I can't use one lineup for all tuners because Emby may try to tune a TV station to the east on a tuner connected to the antenna pointed south and that's not going to work with an antenna that only has a 30 degree beam.  I need to be able to import my lineups instead of all channels for a zip code or at least have a way to disable certain channels on each tuner.

I see this is an old post but this is still something that is needed.  I live between three TV markets with most of the transmitters are over 50 miles away so I have to use three high gain highly directional antennas pointed in different directions.  Each antenna has it's own set of tuners connected to it and uses a special lineup I have created for it on Schedules Direct.  I can't use one lineup for all tuners because Emby may try to tune a TV station to the east on a tuner connected to the antenna pointed south and that's not going to work with an antenna that only has a 30 degree beam.  I need to be able to import my lineups instead of all channels for a zip code or at least have a way to disable certain channels on each tuner.

You can presently load a separate EPG for each tuner you have.  So you could load 3 separate EPGs.  In the EPG setup you can set it to only work for a specific tuner(s) instead of all of them.  That part is easy.  If this is what you want, it's already in Emby.

What I find more problematic is when you have duplicate markets that use the same channels numers (ie multiple 3.1, 6.1, 10.1 channels) as there is not an easy way in Emby itself to remap channel numbers.  Luke has said this is something that is likely to be address in an update.

I myself have cable but also use OTA so I can get these other markets for sporting events.

I was able to create a separate channel lineup for each antenna and it's group of tuners using the zip code of the TV market they are aimed at.  Emby imported every possible TV station for that zip code instead of importing my customized lineup for that zip code from Schedules Direct.  I'm over 50 miles away so there are a lot of low power stations that I can't receive from these areas so I need some way to disable those if I can't import my already customized lineups from Schedules Direct.  If I use my zip code, the EPG from Schedules Direct does list all of the stations I receive but I would still need a way to disable certain channels on each antenna because they are all pointing in different directions.  I don't want Emby trying to use the south facing antenna and group of tuners to tune a TV station that's 51 miles away to the east because it won't get much of a signal from that wrong antenna.

You could use the HDHomerun favorites feature as a way of manipulating that for now.

I was just going to follow up with this.

If you haven't done before, open a web browser using the IP of the tuner such as:

http://IP/lineup.html

You can then click the star to leave it empty (neutral), red X (deactive) or yellow star (favorite). 

So you mark ONLY the channels you want with the yellow star.  You can leave the rest blank or X depending on how you want to use that feature.  I personally X every other station so it's obvious.  Every station is marked this way.  In the future if I re-scan and see a channel without the Star or X I know it's new.

In Emby remove the tuner and then add it back.  One of the option on the page to add the tuner is import favorites only so you want to use that option.

Once you've done this you will ONLY get those channels you have specifically selected on the tuner for that antenna/tuner combo.

Obviously repeat this process for each of your 3 tuner setups.

Let us know how this works.

• 2 months later...

After the upcoming 3.6 release we plan to expand on our channel management features to accommodate your needs. Thanks !

• Like 1