Black bars left and right whilst watching content

manny

I only get this issue on the Amazon Fire TV, not on EMBY Theatre.

It also only happens to MKVs created from DVDs. MKVs created from Blu-rays and HD-DVDs are perfect.

I've also just tested PLEX (app and server) and like EMBY Theatre no issues at all.

I can only deduce its the Amazon Fire TV, which is the device we watch 99% of our content, hence extremely annoying at the moment.

I don't want to switch products as EMBY IMO is a much better looking product than PLEX.

I'll side load KODI in a little while.

What do I need to do to sort out EMBY?

Thanks

I think this is an encoding problem as 720x576 is a 1.25:1 aspect ratio - which it sounds like is what you are seeing.

OK, but PLEX and EMBY Theatre don't show the black bars down the side, exactly same files.

Why different with Andriod Fire TV?

PAL storage frame size is 720*576. That means the display width is always the height times 1.78 (16/9), or 1024. Both the storage and the display height are 1024 divided by the aspect ratio.

PAL output dimensions:

1.78:1: 1024*576

1.85:1: 1024*554

2.35:1: 1024*436

PAL storage dimensions:

1.78:1: 720*576

1.85:1: 720*554

2.35:1: 720*436

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/AnamorphicGuide#pal

Is the video direct playing?

Does the fireTV support anamorphic PAL video?

Edited by speechles

arrbee99

Doesn't FireTV app have that icon thing at the bottom while its playing for you to stretch the video ? Its not ideal but you could see if its a possible solution.

Doesn't FireTV app have that icon thing at the bottom while its playing for you to stretch the video ? Its not ideal but you could see if its a possible solution.

Yes that's what I have been doing, but starting to annoy me especially when I don't have to do this with EMBY Theatre or PLEX

@@manny can you paste the transcode log for that video?

If the video stream is copied, this is the issue. If the video isnt copied, you may not have set the DAR (display aspect ratio) in your video. If we see the commandline emby is giving ffmpeg it will be easy to see where the issue is coming from.

Edited by speechles

arrbee99

I am far from an expert, but would it be worth using an external player that you can try if you get the latest FireTV beta app, see http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37235-request-new-player-in-androidamazon-app/page-6#entry358638 

Maybe re-encode ? Have also seen in another thread, maybe this one http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37882-dvd-rips-played-in-a-black-box/?hl=dvd