Couple quick questions around Collections

Aussiedroid

Aussiedroid

Hi All,

I have run into an issue with my collections, which are still appearing in the Collections tab (also showing unwatched movie count etc), but when I enter the collection all the movies are gone. Artwork for those movies also seems to have stopped appearing in Emby when I look for those movies manually. Tried scanning, removing and adding movies and scanning again but still impacted.

Atm, I think I am using what is considered the 'old' style of collections, with collections in sub-folders (each under the appropriate genre), each movie is in its own folder under the sub-folder, with collections.xml and collection artwork in the root sub-folder. These were setup through MetaBrowser.

Not sure if they should they still be working, maybe I was lucky till now but from what I read it looks like this method is outdated now, and these are now stored in a collections folder under the Emby-Server directory. So at any rate, I was going to try updating to the new way and see if that will fix my issues.

That lead me to a couple of questions:

1) Can I keep the movies in their sub-folder locations (I would like to keep them together), but move the collections.xml and artwork to the appropriate folder under Emby-Server (and rescan?)? Or do I need to manually create each one in Metadata Manager first, and add each movie individually for Emby to recognise? What I am really wondering is if there is an easy way to import my existing structure/data into the new setup.

2) If I can migrate my existing collections.xml data in, is there a specific folder structure under /Collections folder that i need to create? Would just say 'Star Wars Collection' be ok or do I need to add the [boxset] on the end that I have seen in some posts or something else?

Would be great if could move that collections folder to my metadata folder on my secondary drive as well, to keep all the artwork together in one location. :)

Thank you for your help!

Aussiedroid

Update: Looking into my issue with the missing movies within the collections and found that I can add the movies into my existing collections (which are still listed) and keep the folder collection rather than moving to the Emby Server folder.

After I added the movies manually it updated the collection.xml with a section called <CollectionItems> with a path for each movie. Refreshed the movies and the artwork has also returned. :)

Looks like this:

</Persons>
  <CollectionItems>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>X:\Movie Library\Comedy\{Austin Powers}\(2002) Austin Powers in Goldmember\Austin Powers 3.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>X:\Movie Library\Comedy\{Austin Powers}\(1997) Austin Powers International Man of Mystery\Austin Powers 1.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
    <CollectionItem>
      <Path>X:\Movie Library\Comedy\{Austin Powers}\(1999) Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me\Austin Powers 2.mkv</Path>
    </CollectionItem>
  </CollectionItems>
  <Shares>

Other collection.xml I haven't updated yet do not have the <CollectionItems> section present so looks like I just need to add them all back manually and should all be a-ok.

FYI for others in case they are searching on the issue.

• Like 1

Aussiedroid

Thanks! Making the changes through the UI is what lead me to my findings actually :) I found I could still see the collections under Movies but not under Collections thru web UI, so I could update them after all.

Update 2: After updating them in the UI, and updating the xml file, copying them across to the Emby-Server collections folder also worked. So I am in the slow process of updating them and moving them all across. Just needed to add the collection with the same name after I copied it across to the collections folder so it will reappear.

For some reason if I copied my Metabrowser created ones (without updating) across it would override the file it appeared and deleted the custom, but this seems to get around whatever was causing that to occur. Little time consuming but getting there.

Would be great if in the future we could relocate the collections folder though, mine is already getting reasonably large.