DSM 6 running EMBY under VMware Workstation 12 Player

mrbasic1

mrbasic1

I found a topic on the XPenology site describing who to run DSM 6 as a VM guest using the VMware Workstation 12 Player. As a result I have installed the VMware player and DSM 6 on my windows 7 laptop PC with generation 4 intel Haswell I5 processor. The link to that discussion is at http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16114 .

I now have a fully functional DSM 6 running EMBY on a spare PC using a 6TB WD My Book USB 3.0 HDD as the datastore and it works very well for me, plus with the graphics

built into the I5 PC there are no transcoding issues at all. You just install EMBY as documented for a x86_64 type machine. The big advantage in my case is I have a second home in Colorado and can now just take the laptop PC and USB drive with me and have access to my media content using EMBY at the remote location (a portable server).

I did document the steps I took to do the DSM 6 on my PC on page 21 of the discussion link above.

mrbasic1

It is interesting, but one could just run EMBY on the laptop PC with all the media content on a USB drive and get the same results with a EMBY server on your network. However it's more challenging to have a virtual Diskstation running DSM 6 and EMBY. Besides there are other applications available for use on the virtual Synology Diskstation then just EMBY. More like a low cost functional Diskstation on a restricted budget.

• 3 weeks later...