Is Theater ready to replace Emby Classic?

disorganise01

jordy

in Win10 you can get the green button on a WMC RC6 remote to start ET by using a program called "AdvancedMCERemoteMapper.exe". This will enable you to program the green button to run a program from a defined shortcut position on the taskbar. For example: if you put the ET shortcut at position 1 on the taskbar (pos 1 is immediately to the right of the multi desktop switcher - see attached  picture - put it where the Firefox icon is) and use the program above to map the green button to "Win+1" (See attached pic - must use it in Administrator mode to write to the registry - r/click - "Run as Admin)" Place a tick where shown then choose 1 from the adjacent drop down , select "apply to Registry", close and reboot and you're good to go. I did this a couple of days ago and it works :)

Edited by jordy

Disorganise

I have a harmony but the point about needing a mouse click will make Waf basically zero.

I'm guessing the green button remap will do the same, but add the ability to use the old (worn out) Microsoft remote also.

So to keep the WAF it sounds like I need to add ET to startup

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

jordy

forgive the question but if you are using a remote (of any type) where does the mouse click come in? - unless you are referring to the act of pressing the remote button...?

jordy

Actually I believe that some of the Harmony remotes can program a series of activities to a single button - eg start amplifier/receiver, start TV, change input, etc etc. Maybe you can add an ET start to this. Don't know, just thinking aloud...

Disorganise

Mentasm mentioned a mouse click to give the focus. I haven't tried it yet.

Disorganise

And yes. I already had harmony to start media centre which is basically; switch amp, set TV input, wait a few seconds, emulate pressing the green button. Onscreen it leaves a "media centre" soft button....but it has no effect now (in win 7 it would start WMC).

The earlier post was suggesting a workaround for me to still use the remote to start ET (which I haven't yet tried as I'm on way home from work now). But havimg ET take focus so subsequent commands from the remote is crucial (if a mouse click is needed to give focus the purpose is basically defeated.....i may as well just use the mouse to start ET in the 1st place)

• Like 1

jordy

when I start ET using the RC6 remote, ET has focus already and the left/right/up/down keys work without additional mouse activity. So you may be OK. Once I have the TV started and have the correct input selected, All I need is the RC6 remote and I haven't found anything it can't do (by itself) in ET yet - That includes waking the htpc (laptop) from sleep, start ET and navigating to whatever page/item i want and then shutting it all down again when finished (not including the tv and receiver).

Edited by jordy

mentasm

I just did some testing.  If I use the remote to start ET I get focus and the remote works correctly.  If I alt-tab out to windows and use the remote or the mouse to return to ET I have no focus, and then require a mouse click to be able to continue remote commands.  

Might not be much of an issue for some people. Slightly annoying for me.  I use the media centre for many things and am often using the PC in windows mode, not just as a dedicated media browser.

AdrianW

The "Microsoft Media Center SE" device which can be added to a Harmony includes mouse actions like left-click which can be assigned to a button.

jordy

Ah. there's the difference. Mine is a dedicated HTPC. Whilst I'm watching I'm not doing anything else :)

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Disorganise

Found a menu option to start ET with windows so that might be an option.

Don't have the MCE SE or whatever in harmony (i have the remote receiver listed) and no option to send a win command. Downloading the remapper to try later instead.

Watched half a show this morning and then stopped it and went out. Came back and the screen saver was running....no way to stop it. (some commands made the beeps so ET was picking up the remote commands....if i selected back ot would go to the nect picture....useless :()

Grabbed mouse aaaaand....no dice. Could resize emby but not stop screensaver.....had to quit ET and reopen.

jordy

Found a menu option to start ET with windows so that might be an option.

Don't have the MCE SE or whatever in harmony (i have the remote receiver listed) and no option to send a win command. Downloading the remapper to try later instead.

Watched half a show this morning and then stopped it and went out. Came back and the screen saver was running....no way to stop it. (some commands made the beeps so ET was picking up the remote commands....if i selected back ot would go to the nect picture....useless :()

Grabbed mouse aaaaand....no dice. Could resize emby but not stop screensaver.....had to quit ET and reopen.

which version of ET and Server? That used to happen to me but its all good now - running versions of ET from 2.2.5 onwards and Dev server.

Disorganise

Presume the latest of everything since I downloaded on the weekend :)

Will check when I get home tomorrow

Disorganise

Ok...

Emby server 3.0.5934.0

ET 2.2.7

jordy

Ok, So not the Dev server - can't speak for that but def ok with Dev server and 2.2.7. good luck

Disorganise

Well sort of "fixed" the screensaver issue.....turned it off in settings.

But to no avail....leaving ET running overnight with amp switched elsewhere, ET still responsive but the taskbar had appeared at the bottom and wouldn't bugger off. Had to go grab the mouse and hit the resize twice to shrink and re-fullsize.

Then tried to play a show and got spinny spinny but no show.

All worked fine when I quit ET and started again. So looks like the best option is shut down ET when not in use.....which brings me back to needing the run that green button remapping thing to start ET.

Now that I've used ET for a night properly I find the next oversight....no apparent filter for unwatched shows (there is in movies thankfully), and the ticks and numbers are both green so not easy to differentiate.

Also starting the show (at least the first one...thinking about it the 2nd one might've been fine) would have audio running in the background a full 10 seconds before the video started (it sticks in the static 'play' page). It's all in sync when it starts but you miss the very beginning.

Aside...

I also installed Kodi and the emby plugin on the weekend.....looks rubbish to be honest. Too much like the horrible (imo) dlna interface you get on the TV or amp.

AdrianW

So looks like the best option is shut down ET when not in use.....which brings me back to needing the run that green button remapping thing to start ET.

That's what I'm doing (shutting ET down when we've finished using it). Starting it is a simple one button press on my Harmony (as I detailed earlier). I start the Win 10 Netflix app the same way.

We used to exit out of EMC as well, although we could leave Media Center running without a problem.

Disorganise

That's what I'm doing (shutting ET down when we've finished using it). Starting it is a simple one button press on my Harmony (as I detailed earlier). I start the Win 10 Netflix app the same way.

We used to exit out of EMC as well, although we could leave Media Center running without a problem.

Can't find the keyboard command options in harmony.

But I've now installed the advanced remapper, applied and rebooted aaaand....happy days :) green key starts ET

arztonyou

[...]

Aside...

I also installed Kodi and the emby plugin on the weekend.....looks rubbish to be honest. Too much like the horrible (imo) dlna interface you get on the TV or amp.

Disorganise,

I don't want to turn this into a ET vs. Kodi thread, but I thought I'd quickly respond to the Kodi part of your post.  I've been using the Emby addon for Kodi for many months, and I doubt many people use the interface you mention above for anything but occasionally resetting the database or getting to the addon settings.  Most users integrate shortcuts to their Emby media, i.e. "TV-Dad, TV-Kids" into the menus of their Kodi skin to create a better user experience for the Emby addon.  Since there are so many skins for Kodi, you can choose the skin that most appeals to you or has your favorite views for your media.  I chose Titan because I like the traditional simple horizontal menu but wanted more views than was available in the default skin.  There is even a Eunique skin that looks somewhat like the Emby layout that was created by one of the devs of the Emby addon.

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread, but if you have any interest at all in ever using Kodi, then try picking a skin that is visually appealing to you and then integrating the addon shortcuts into the skin menus.  It takes a little time, but you can set it up to look exactly the way you want, which is one of the biggest reasons I started using it. 

• Like 1

Disorganise

Ok thanks. Will take a look

• 3 months later...
Sammy

If you use wmc for live tv then I would say, not yet

I always press "Stop" then "Media Browser" (yup, still on my remote that way!) and ET loads right up ready to go. When I exit ET, I press "Stop" and then the Green Button on my H900 remote and WMC loads right up.

I just started doing this but need to get it streamlined because the famdamily has issues following simple instructions. If the correct procedure is not followed WMC fails due to codec issues.

• 6 months later...

@@Sammy

Updates are rolling out and you'll soon be able to use MB2-style alpha-numeric shortcuts. Enjoy.

58bc7a2266d4f_Untitled.png