Ubuntu unable to add movies to library

AdamBearWA

AdamBearWA

I added the following to /etc/emby-server.conf

EMBY_USER=emby

EMBY_GROUP=mediaservers

The user emby has the primary group mediaservers and secondary group emby.

Permission on the Movies folder and all subfolders are 775 (i.e. mediaservers group has full access). Permissions on all files recursively is 664 (i.e. mediaservers group has rw access). I have even manually re-run the command to make 100% sure.

xxxx@NAS:/mnt/raid/Videos$ ls -l
drwxrwxr-x  22 xxxx mediaservers 4096 Mar 25 18:33 Movies
xxxx@NAS:/mnt/raid/Videos$ ls -l Movies
drwxrwxr-x 3 xxxx mediaservers   78 Feb 28 11:27 Aladdin (1992)
xxxx@NAS:/mnt/raid/Videos$ ls -l Movies/Aladdin\ \(1992\)/
-rw-rw-r-- 1 xxxx mediaservers 5867786533 Feb 28 11:27 Aladdin.1992.1080p.BluRay.X264-AMIABLE.mkv

The odd thing is that I have the same ownership and permissions on my TV shows and it picks up some of the shows, but not others. This makes even less sense as each folder and file has the exact same permissions.

I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions on what else to check?

Edited by AdamN

AdamBearWA

When browsing the GUI to add a folder, it doesn't list any of the subfolders so it's clear that the app can't see them.

In the TV Shows, it shows the subfolders for some folders and not others. THe ones it can see it adds to the library without issue. Again, all folders have the exact same ownership, permissions and naming conventions.

Unless something has changed from mediabrowser 2, those folders haven't changed names.

AdamBearWA

running "ps -a -G mediaservers" shows me that emby is not running as the correct group.

Please let me know how to fix this and it should all work :)

AdamBearWA

I realised from /etc/default/emby-server that the user and group need to be enclosed in quotes. I have done this and restarted the service. I have verified that the mono server.exe is running as emby:mediaservers. However, I'm still unable to add any movies to my library :(

edit: chmod 777 -R * doesn't fix it either :\

Edited by AdamN

AdamBearWA

I'm beginning to feel extremely silly here...

Even if I carefully craft a single movie file into a specially crafted folder as per the wiki specification with full rwx permissions for all, Emby can't see the contents of the folder.

NomadCF

Any reason why you don't just add the user "emby" to the group "mediaservers" on the system ?

Example

id emby
uid=110(emby) gid=118(emby) groups=118(emby),100(users)

Or so it will appear on your systems like

id emby
uid=110(emby) gid=118(emby) groups=118(emby),100(mediaservers)
Edited by NomadCF

AdamBearWA

Emby is in the group mediaservers. That's why this doesn't make sense.

Edited by AdamN

NomadCF

Any chance you have selinux enabled ?

Can you post the output of the id command run against the emby user.

id emby

Have you tested swiching ("su") into the emby account and checking access to all  the movie, tv shows AND emby files.    

You might want to test putting the emby account back so that it's primary group is emby  and one of it's secondary groups is "mediaservers". I'mleaning toward and issue with emby trying to "su" into the emby account. 

AdamBearWA

selinux isn't enabled

output of 'id emby':

uid=109(emby) gid=1001(mediaservers) groups=1001(mediaservers),121(emby)

I tried putting the primary group as emby and secondary group as mediaservers. Still the same behaviour.

If I su into emby (I had to enable login and set a password first), then the account can browse to and see all the folders and files.

edit: I can also access all emby files e.g. /var/lib/emby-server/

Edited by AdamN

NomadCF

selinux isn't enabled

output of 'id emby':

uid=109(emby) gid=1001(mediaservers) groups=1001(mediaservers),121(emby)

I tried putting the primary group as emby and secondary group as mediaservers. Still the same behaviour.

If I su into emby (I had to enable login and set a password first), then the account can browse to and see all the folders and files.

edit: I can also access all emby files e.g. /var/lib/emby-server/

After the changes to the groups did you try restarting emby ? (Just on lurk)

Any chance the paths have changed ?

An example would be you added movies as (lower case v in videos)

/mnt/raid/videos

but the path is now (upper V  in videos)

/mnt/raid/Videos

Same thing with some of the shows, Could the names or paths have changed (aka the case of  file names or their paths) ?

AdamBearWA

I have restarted, stopped and started the service many times. The paths and folder names haven't changed in many years e.g. capital V in Videos. Regardless, I am selecting the folder via the GUI and simultaneously 'su emby' browsing to the folder. Via the terminal I can see all the subfolders and files. Via the GUI, it can not.

• 3 weeks later...
georgeberz

I have restarted, stopped and started the service many times. The paths and folder names haven't changed in many years e.g. capital V in Videos. Regardless, I am selecting the folder via the GUI and simultaneously 'su emby' browsing to the folder. Via the terminal I can see all the subfolders and files. Via the GUI, it can not.

THis is kinda the same problem I am having, what was the solution?

AdamBearWA

My solution at the moment is not to use emby for the last year or 2. Plex works using the same accounts and folders without issue.

AdamBearWA

Just to clarify, that is I run plex with the "emby" username and "mediaservers" group and the same folders and it detects all media.

Is there a way to completely clean out all emby and previous mediabrowser settings, files etc? I'd like to try a completely fresh install.

Is the path a locally mounted share or no? One of the issues we have right now is that the mono runtime does not support SMB at the moment. So if you have a network path that Emby Server cannot see, you may need to mount it locally within the OS and then Emby Server will be able to see it. We're looking into ways of working around this.