installing emby on linux mint 17.3 x64

netforce2016

netforce2016

hi all,

i am trying to install the amazing emby server into my linux mint 17.3, following several instructions. now the problem is there are apparently some dependencies unresolved wich blocks me from installing emby server.

paste from my terminal:

user@@Server ~ $ sudo apt-get install emby-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 emby-server : Depends: mono-devel (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: lsb-base (>= 4.1+Debian11ubuntu7) but 4.1+Debian11ubuntu6mint1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

if you have any ideas on how to fix this?

thank you.

i fixed it using this:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30210-broken-packages-cant-install-the-media-server-on-linux-mint-172/page-2&do=findComment&comment=290615

and then the default setup for 14.04 xUbuntu.

(i recommend making a DEB file that works, to prevent users from f*cking up the setup/repos)

Edited by netforce2016

geaves

i fixed it using this:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30210-broken-packages-cant-install-the-media-server-on-linux-mint-172/page-2&do=findComment&comment=290615

and then the default setup for 14.04 xUbuntu.

(i recommend making a DEB file that works, to prevent users from f*cking up the setup/repos)

Hm!! it does work. Linux Mint 17.3 is based upon Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, there are clear instructions for each distro, so if you installed emby using the instructions for say Ubuntu 15.10 then you will get the errors as the underlying o/s is 14.04.

netforce2016

ok, on to the next problem. my files are on several encrypted (FUSE) filesystems. (veracrypt)

now, emby cant access the folders on the filesystem. is there a way to either add permissions to the folder/drive for the user émby'or change the execution user of emby to my regular user?

netforce2016

Hm!! it does work. Linux Mint 17.3 is based upon Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, there are clear instructions for each distro, so if you installed emby using the instructions for say Ubuntu 15.10 then you will get the errors as the underlying o/s is 14.04.

ah yes, i didnt want to insult anyone. i did one thing wrong apparently, i shouldnt add the PPAkey for this. after i restarted all, and didnt add the key/cert, it works fine.

tho i cannot get access to my encrypted ntfs drives (/media/veracrypt1 ~ veracrypt4)

i tried modified commands from http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31142-permissions/

but no change, not even after reboot...

---

edit:

i added the user emby to the main user group, and added the user to the main emby group, and also added the user emby to the fuse group (using kuser)

still cannot access my drives thru emby interface. i can play the files on the disks with any software, including vlc media player and kodi.

please help

Edited by netforce2016

geaves

You'll need to 'mount' your shares so that Emby can 'see' them on your Mint box with an fstab entry. For instance my Emby is on an Ubuntu server but my files are on a nas4free box, (SMB shares) so on my server I have to create a mount point so that Emby can see them, in effect it's a symlink.

So on the server under /media I have a folder movies, this then has an fstab entry //serverIP/movies /media/movies cifs user,users 0 0 because I am using smb shares, so now Emby can see those when I add media to Emby, I then set up path substitution.

Sorry I'm cooking dinner so on and off here.... :D

Edited by geaves

netforce2016

You'll need to 'mount' your shares so that Emby can 'see' them on your Mint box with an fstab entry. For instance my Emby is on an Ubuntu server but my files are on a nas4free box, (SMB shares) so on my server I have to create a mount point so that Emby can see them, in effect it's a symlink.

So on the server under /media I have a folder movies, this then has an fstab entry //serverIP/movies /media/movies cifs user,users 0 0 because I am using smb shares, so now Emby can see those when I add media to Emby, I then set up path substitution.

Sorry I'm cooking dinner so on and off here.... :D

yes i understand, but the disks i am speaking of are locally mounted disks, not shares. and for security reasons i am not gonna fstab my encrypted disks with a password in fstab (i know i can, but i wont)

geaves

yes i understand, but the disks i am speaking of are locally mounted disks, not shares. and for security reasons i am not gonna fstab my encrypted disks with a password in fstab (i know i can, but i wont)

Apologies, My only understanding of local disks' and that's from reading on here is that Emby requires permission to access the media folder, so adding Emby to your fuse group may not be enough, adding the Emby user to the share may be the solution.

netforce2016

Apologies, My only understanding of local disks' and that's from reading on here is that Emby requires permission to access the media folder, so adding Emby to your fuse group may not be enough, adding the Emby user to the share may be the solution.

in theory emby should have access rights to the path, i added the user emby as a member to the normal usergroup (users) wich is able to fully access the path. i am baffled at the moment, giving it a good thought.

geaves

in theory emby should have access rights to the path, i added the user emby as a member to the normal usergroup (users) wich is able to fully access the path. i am baffled at the moment, giving it a good thought.

I wonder if this may be helpful. 

thefirstofthe300

Hmm...I just went through adding a VeraCrypt volume and Emby was able to read it right out of the box for me.

May I ask where your Emby install is pointing the movie folders at?  Is it at the encrypted volumes themselves or at the mount point (something like /media/veracrypt1)?

EDIT:  Rereading this post I just noticed that the Veracrypt drives are NTFS drives.  That makes things 100% more difficult for permissions due to limitations of the Windows filesystems.  NTFS only gives one user read and write access on mount.  The way to work around this is to run Emby as the user that mounts the Veracrypt volumes.  You can accomplish this by editing /etc/emby-server.conf.  Also, you will more than likely need to change the permissions on the database folder /var/lib/emby-server to be the user:group that Emby is now running as.

Edited by thefirstofthe300

netforce2016

Hmm...I just went through adding a VeraCrypt volume and Emby was able to read it right out of the box for me.

May I ask where your Emby install is pointing the movie folders at?  Is it at the encrypted volumes themselves or at the mount point (something like /media/veracrypt1)?

EDIT:  Rereading this post I just noticed that the Veracrypt drives are NTFS drives.  That makes things 100% more difficult for permissions due to limitations of the Windows filesystems.  NTFS only gives one user read and write access on mount.  The way to work around this is to run Emby as the user that mounts the Veracrypt volumes.  You can accomplish this by editing /etc/emby-server.conf.  Also, you will more than likely need to change the permissions on the database folder /var/lib/emby-server to be the user:group that Emby is now running as.

i guess i need to buy a new harddisk then and migrate all my media to ext4 drives. cannot get this to work. was planning that anyway. i tried all options i could find, no success.

Thnx for thinking with me :)