Series not displaying properly

PoBear

Hi

I've got a strange issue with a series not being displayed at the correct aspect ratio.

Keeping it simple, I record from UK Freeview using a Media Portal back end, the mpeg-2 .TS files are converted to DIVX using MCEBuddy and then I remove the adverts and top and tail the file with VirtualDub. the recordings are SD anamorphic for display on a 16:9 TV.

Files are either 720x576 or 544x576 depending on the channel.

I have one series that is not displaying in full screen even using the zoom options. The series is 544x576 and I've checked that he individual files are set to 16:9 display.

As far as I can see there is nothing unusual about this series, I can play other recordings that are 544x576 without problem in full screen, just not this one.

I'm not sure what information to provide.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
PoBear

I now have a second series, again 544x576 that is not displayin in full screen. I've checked the file and the aspect ratio is set correctly.

The file is displayed with the correct aspect ratio in other players!

Edited by PoBear

PoBear

Hi

Two images for you the first is with the video unzoomed in Emby and the second with it zoomed. I had to have Emby in a window to take the screen shots.

I've compared the files that are not playing correctly with those that are and I cannot see any difference between them, the physical frame is the same size (544x576) and both the Pixel AR and Display AR are the same, the only link I can find is that they all of those with problems appear to have been recorded from the same channel, but I can't see how that would make a difference. T

I've checked them in MCE and they are playing correctly with no zoom, I've been caught out before where MCE has zoomed something and then Emby has zoomed it again, but this appears not to be the case.

The image appears as if it is a 4:3 image with black bars on either side, but actually has no bars . I am playing another series, which is also 544x576 but actually is a 4:3 with borders, could this be the cause?

No Zoom

56e21b8b93bd7_AspectRatioErrornozoom.png

zoomed horizontally​56e21ba83ed36_AspectRatioErrorzoom.png

Edited by PoBear

I'm a bit lost.

How is an image that is 544x576 going to display full-screen in a 16:9 frame...?

It looks to me like the video is rendering at true resolution (or at least aspect) in your first frame and then, when you use our horizontal stretch, it expands by 30% as it should.

But, the bottom line is - 544x576 is not a 16:9 aspect.

PoBear

It's a recording from UK Freeview all of the SD programmes are anamorphic and are broadcast as either 720x576 or 544 x576 but are designed to display as full screen on a 16:9 display.

Okay, well I guess then whatever information in the stream that is required for the codecs to determine how to stretch it is missing from those particular recordings.

Also, you must be stating the resolution in the reverse of the common lingo as well.  You are saying height x width...?

PoBear

As I said in a previous post the Pixel AR and the Display AR are the same on the files that don't play correctly and those that do. There may be other data in the video header that is different and it may be this that is causing the issue, but there is nothing that I can see and nothing that I would think that Emby would look at.

544 wide x 576 high or 720 wide x 576 high. 576p is a standard for PAL in the UK.

Edited by PoBear

As I said in a previous post the Pixel AR and the Display AR are the same on the files that don't play correctly and those that do. There may be other data in the video header that is different and it may be this that is causing the issue, but there is nothing that I can see and nothing that I would think that Emby would look at.

Yeah, Emby isn't really involved at this stage.  It is somewhere in WMC, the video codec, or the video drivers themselves.

544 wide x 576 high or 720 wide x 576 high. 576p is a standard for PAL in the UK.

Ah, ok.  Thanks for the clarification.

PoBear

I know that that Emby4WMC can accumulate zooms from WMC and the Emby app so that a video ends up oversized, is there any circumstance where Emby assumes a zoom from WMC is in place, even if it isn't or are the two zooms completely separate?

PoBear

IS this problem likely to be investigated any further?

Where it appeared to only be affecting recordings from one channel it has spread and is potentially affecting any recording which is 544x576. I've tried fixing the problem in MCE using it's zoom, but I no sooner get a widescreen display for one  programme and then the next is over zoomed, it's got to the point where Emby is no longer usable as an inteface for most of the programmes that I am watching at the moment!

This is going through the media portal back end? Try instead adding your recordings folder as an emby server library

This is going through the media portal back end? Try instead adding your recordings folder as an emby server library

He must have already done that as that would be the only way he could see them in EMC.

Ah yes that's true. I guess the only other thing to check would be to make sure it's direct playing the file and not streaming through emby server.

PoBear

My Emby folders are completely seperate from the MP ones.

The Dashboard is reporting that the files are playing directly

What aspect ration does Emby for WMC support, is it just 16:19 and 4:3 or are other OK?

When it zooms does it use the aspect ratio or does it stretch the image until the black bars are removed?

The actual video display is all handled by WMC and whatever codecs you are using.

When you use our zoom settings it is simply applying a 33% stretch in whichever direction you designate.

PoBear

I've tested the files that I am having problems with in WMC and they play without problem, even when a zoom is required the unzoomed image is as I would expect it to be and the zoom (3. horizontal stretch) takes it to full screen. I cannot recreate the problem I am having in Emby outside of it!