Moving Metadata out of Media Library Location

swhitmore

swhitmore

Hi,

I previously saved all my metadata in their media folders, but in an attempt to speed things up, I thought it better to start saving it all in one location. Since my media is spread over multiple drivers using drive pooling, whenever I access the server, I imagine they all have to spin up and read the data. My guess is that by saving it all on one drive, I can avoid doing this.

I was wondering if there was a way to move all my current metadata in to one location without having to re-download it all over again. Is this possible? 

Thanks.

Happy2Play

Sorry there is no way to migrate the metadata in either direction (with media or centralized).

swhitmore

Thanks Happy. Looks like I'm better to download it all. Does my reasoning for doing it make sense?

Does my reasoning for doing it make sense?

I'm not sure it does.  The actual metadata (other than images which are cached on the server and client end already) should only be accessed during scans/refreshes.

I'd be surprised if you saw a big benefit from doing this and I think there are significant downsides.

swhitmore

I'm not sure it does.  The actual metadata (other than images which are cached on the server and client end already) should only be accessed during scans/refreshes.

I'd be surprised if you saw a big benefit from doing this and I think there are significant downsides.

Thanks ebr. I haven't done it yet. I'm just trying different things to help speed up the server. At the moment it performs very poorly for me.

carlbme

I keep all of mine seperate now as well. Initially had it all mixed in with the media but in the end moved the metadata off into it's own storage array.

I used PowerShell to do it. I don't have the script I made handy since I'm at work, but I used the Move-Item as the basis. Look here to get some ideas....

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332545.aspx

Happy2Play

The biggest speed improvement you can make to the server is using an SSD if you aren't already.

• Like 1

swhitmore

The biggest speed improvement you can make to the server is using an SSD if you aren't already.

Yeah this is my next step. I currently don't have the funds to spend on hardware, but I think I'll start budgeting for it. 2 year olds are expensive...

Yesterday I had a notification on my server that a drive is failing, I'm thinking this is likely the source of my issues. I have an old one I can replace it with, so I'm going to try that and see how I go.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Yep, this made a huge improvement for me too.

kjp4756

Ssd for the whole library or just the metadata?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

AdrianW

Ssd for the whole library or just the metadata?

They're talking SSD just for the server regardless of where the metadata is. And who could possibly afford to put their library on SSD?

• Like 1