Centrality theme puchase

Yogi

Your MB2 key should work for most of Throgs themes,the easiest way to try would be to put your key in the space provided and give it a go.

Just remember Throgs themes have not been updated for quite a while and they are getting left behind with all the new feature updates that MB3 is bringing to the table.

Edited by Yogi

Also, as it states on that page and the plug-in catalog page, you must be a MB3 supporter for any premium content to be registered.

kornster

Hi all,

This is really a quick question for Throgsoft or anyone who can potentially answer it. 

With the Throgsoft themes specifically Centrality. Do i need to purchase another key for MB3 or will my old one from MB2 still be work, within the configurator it specifies "Some premium plug-ins may give credit for registrations with previous versions in MB 2.x. Enter your MB 2.x Supporter Key here to allow that credit" but it doesnt specify what that actually covers.

If i need to purchase a key for MB3 then i will but i would like to know if i must before i potentially doubled up if my old MB2 key is honored.

Regards

kornster

Thanks guys for the responses. I did put through my MB3 supporter donation before i went on holidays. I understand Throg`s theme`s are getting left behind but well my Wife is used to Centrality and if i go and change it she will most likley kill me :(

I`ve tried some of the others but they just dont seem to do what we need, Perhaps i need to spend more time looking for a replacement theme. Any advice???

Edited by kornster

I am of the same opinion that Throg had this down pat as far as pleasing look and functionality, but that is history and don't include his themes in any future of your devices. The theme creation here got sort of off track with the metro UI look and not lots of feedback on the screen for Home Theater usage more appealing for portable / tablet devices. However the latest developments of the Chocolate theme are quite promising, you may want to take a look at that.

It looks like you are between a rock & a hard place and we are facing the fact of having to migrate to a different theme or worst another solution. How will pulling his themes from the catalog effect existing Users? Has anyone presented him with the proposition to take over some of his creations? If I could make this suggestion, has it been discussed to draw up an enforcable contract and either present to him the option of either a percentage cut of sales for development rights, outright purchase of his source code or requesting and pleading with him to place his themes into the public domain.

As long as their is revenue stream from his themes there is no reason for him to do anything. If all his time, efforts, headaches and loving care are staring into the abyss of none existance and being totally forgotten, it maybe an incentive to compromise and maintain a legacy together with a possible revenue stream.

As a final observation most of us that love Throg's themes would be happy to reach a status quo, for me I am not feature hunting because my hardware platform is set and I now need software to operate it. The would be nice scenario is not something I would sacrifice for stability of operation.

If you continue to develop Chocolate and come close to a look and feel of his themes, it would be an additional reason for him to decide to extend the life of his creations by opting for letting someone else continue the development. I can't understand the mindset that after years of development, endless times of solving problems, spending creative energy, to just relegate this baby of mine to extinction. Better to let a project live in someone elses environment with acknowledgement and credit of being the creator and a possible profit then just give it the middle finger solute.

Edited by On2Go

The changes he has to make are very minor and probably a half a day's work. As far as someone taking over, if you would like to propose that to him, feel free. If he agrees there might be a couple people interested.

• Like 1

Would pulling Throg's themes from the catalog make it impossible for someone like me (Who is currently using the themes on MB 2.6.2) to re-install them into Media Browser Classic when I decide to upgrade to MB3? If so, I need to move to MB3 sooner than I had planned. I'd like to keep using Throg's themes if possible.

Would pulling Throg's themes from the catalog make it impossible for someone like me (Who is currently using the themes on MB 2.6.2) to re-install them into Media Browser Classic when I decide to upgrade to MB3? If so, I need to move to MB3 sooner than I had planned. I'd like to keep using Throg's themes if possible.

Yes, but not sure you would want to use broken themes that are getting more and more out of date when it comes to features by the day.

• Like 1

I haven't been keeping up with what's been going on (because I've been very happy with MB2), but when I bought the Throg themes they did things that no other themes did, like use multiple themes at once for different views in different folders. They'll also run forever (as long as I don't need to re-install them), since they don't need to check in with the internet server to keep from expiring. That's a big plus if the server side is going away. I haven't tried MB3 yet, and don't know what new themes are available. From what I'm reading, there's much in MB3 to get excited about. I just want to keep the Throg themes as an option until I see what's new. 

Several of us are in the same boat as you are including me. But after contacting Throg, I have the sinking feeling that we have come to the end of the line. For me I am not chasing features just want what I have to run stable. If MB3 will run on linux then I maybe persuaded to install it on the server until then MB2 it is for me. Unfortunately one of Throg's module Upcoming Movies is no longer working if that is because Rotten Tomatoes has changed something I don't know but little chance to see this corrected. This is the error:

UpcomingMovies2_zps70b34457.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading that I can run MB3 and MB2 clients on the same PC. I don't know if that's true for MB Classic, or just MB Theater. Do the Throg themes work on  MB3 Theater or just MB3 Classic? I guess it's time to do some experimenting.

You can NOT run MB Classic and MB 2 on the same machine. You may run only one of those. Now you can run the MB Server and MB2 on the same machine, just can't use the Classic client on it too.

As for Theater. No, themes are not currently available for Theater at the moment and all themes would have to be done from scratch to work on MBT.

• Like 1