Unable to connect from within home network

leebo

Since server for windows 3.0.5818 I cannot connect from within my home network (unsure about outside because I have not attempted). I have tried from both my Fire TV and my Android tablet and cell. I have rebooted both Emby Server and the Windows Home server 2011.

The error message says "No servers are available to connet to. Log attached.

server-63589799514.txt

The server is up and running normally as is evidenced in the log by the incoming http requests. Something environmnetal probably changed that is preventing the traffic from other devices from reaching emby server.

Please try going through our Connectivity troubleshooter and see how far into it you get before encountering an issue:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity

Thanks.

Also for what it's worth, it seems dlna devices are able to send requests and get responses:

HttpServer: HTTP GET http://192.168.1.26:8096/dlna/5e857ec2689ca4e131a4fd0799304032/description.xml. UserAgent: Microsoft-Windows/10.0 UPnP/1.0
2016-01-31 05:59:27.8788 Info 

OK Luke,

I was not able to get past the first step in the Connectivity troubleshooter. Can't even get through using a browser on another computer (remember, I'm only trying from within my network for now).

I think I have traced my problem to the VPN client I'm running on the server. The client software was recently updated, though I don't remember when this issue began. However, I have been running this client for almost two years without any issues. It's supposed to only restrict WAN traffic, not LAN traffic. Still, when I disconnect it, my Emby clients can connect.

This does not appear to be a WiFi issue, as even my wired Fire TV box is unable to connect.

Another weird thing: Emby reports it's IP as 10.129.8.xxx. If my memory is correct, it used to have a standard home network address of 192.168.blah.blah.

Why would it's IP change? Is there any way (or any need) to change it back?

It reports that because detection can often be tricky, but if you can't connect by entering the url in a browser, then that's not relevant here. That's the thing you want to solve first before anything else.

Since my devices do connect if I disconnect the VPN, I assume my next step is to contact their tech support?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

After troubleshooting for the past two weeks, the tech support at Cyberghost is giving up. They are now telling me to talk to you guys.

I'm out of ideas other than to uninstall Emby server and start from scratch.

This used to work and then just stopped.

Edit: Luke, I just tried, and for whatever reason, now I CAN connect using a browser while the VPN is connected. It's when using a Fire TV or the Android app that it won't connect. Does a browser somehow connect differently?

Edited by leebo

After troubleshooting for the past two weeks, the tech support at Cyberghost is giving up. They are now telling me to talk to you guys.

I'm out of ideas other than to uninstall Emby server and start from scratch.

This used to work and then just stopped.

Edit: Luke, I just tried, and for whatever reason, now I CAN connect using a browser while the VPN is connected. It's when using a Fire TV or the Android app that it won't connect. Does a browser somehow connect differently?

Please try going through our Connectivity troubleshooter and see how far into it you get before encountering an issue:

deatrich

After the upgrade, I couldn't connect to my server from other devices on my network and it turned out to be some of the entries in Windows Firewall got flipped during the upgrade, so they are in the Blocked state instead of Allow.  Check it out. As soon as I deleted the entries that pointed to the old mediabrowser directory structure, then set the correct entries to Allow, it all worked again.

-Melanie

Could your issue be that when you start your vpn emby server is binding to that network rather than your lan

But now I can access it from a browser. If the server was doing that I wouldn't think I would be able to connect from a browser either.

After the upgrade, I couldn't connect to my server from other devices on my network and it turned out to be some of the entries in Windows Firewall got flipped during the upgrade, so they are in the Blocked state instead of Allow. Check it out. As soon as I deleted the entries that pointed to the old mediabrowser directory structure, then set the correct entries to Allow, it all worked again.

-Melanie

The problem I have with that theory is like I said above, I CAN connect from a browser. Wouldn't a firewall block traffic regardless of how I attempt to connect?

Now entering the correct server ip into the Fire TV Emby app gets me connected. However I have to re-enter it each time. It does not remember.

I will check Windows Firewall and malware/virus but I don't see how those could be the cause.

I tried the setting to automatically log in as the user, but that does not seem to remember the ip. Is there a different setting you're referring to?

Unfortunately this post wont help you - but I am in the same boat in that when I start my VPN then emby also cannot connect.  I only use it infrequently, and the family gets a bit upset - but they just then use Plex instead - which runs direct from my NAS - we use plex as a backup when the main computer or Emby stuffs up in some way and I am not available to solve it as I am often overseas.  I have remote control software on my main PC now so i can usually connect and fix up issues within a day should they occur.   

I tried the setting to automatically log in as the user, but that does not seem to remember the ip. Is there a different setting you're referring to?

I think that would be because the server is not reporting the proper address.  So we need to see how to fix that root cause.  Can you get your server to show you the proper IP address on its dashboard?

I wouldn't know how. It seems to change from 192.168 to 10. xx whenever it feels like it.

However, for the past three days, all my clients (the ones I've tried) have retained the manual settings and connected. I'm crossing my fingers, though I've never figured out what any of this had to do with the VPN software.

(Edited the I.P example).

Edited by leebo

• 3 years later...
digisof

I have my Emby server on my windows 10 computer running through IP Vanish. I have Emby client on my Fire Stick 4K in another room. IP Vanish is also installed on the firestick. I had the same problem connecting to the server on the same home network. I found when disconnecting IP Vanish on firestick I could then connect. I wondered if there was a setting in IP Vanish on firestick  I could set to connect without shutting down IP Vanish all together.  It is in settings "Allow Split Tunneling". Clicking it brings up "apps that allow you to connect through split tunneling" in there. check the Emby box. I still figure I am protected because Emby Server is still going through IP Vanish on Windows 10. Everything works fine and I can still use all the other apps on my Firestick through IP Vanish.

Edited by digisof

jaycedk

This reminds me of a line of sight project that had to go through a forest.

• 1 year later...
Maheshk

I also had same issue. I have vpn. But without connecting to vpn also, emby client apps were not able to connect to emby server. 

For me, it worked when I enabled "media streaming" option through "Network and sharing center". Don't know how it is related to emby server. But give it a try.

Keep in mind if you run a VPN on the computer running Emby you are essentially changing the IP address and default gateway of the machine.  You are no longer on your home network IP but on that of the VPN provider as far as defaults go.  So depending on when you start both Emby and the VPN the network might be changed right out from under Emby.

Something to check on or worth considering is to see if your router itself supports being used as a VPN client.  I know my ASUS routers can do this.  This allows me to configure my whole network to use VPN once packets leave my router which leaves my internal network unchanged so all computers can still talk to each other normally inside my network.