Transcoding to 5.1 problem

sippelmc

sippelmc

Hi there,

I'm trying Emby.  Long time PLEX user.

I've been struggling for the day trying to get the Roku app to play 5.1 on the official app channel.  I've seen a few threads here on similar problems and I'm not sure if I have the same issue.  I'd rather not use the private channel (Neon) unless I have to.

All of my MKVs are direct rips from bluray with only the HD track and the 5.1 core for audio.  

Everything I do I seem to only get Stereo audio into my AVR.  Am I missing something?  I don't care if stuff transcodes or not, I just want 5.1.  This is on a local gigabit wired network.

I have a Roku 4 and the preferences are set to surround (DD etc).  It seems like the Emby roku app just doesn't want to play nice and get a 5.1 transcode.

Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks!

Edited by sippelmc

Fair enough. AAC 5.1 is not possible in the official app. It is what it is.

It is only possible in the blue neon app when using "force directstream". The reason, AAC 5.1 support with roku4 is not confirmed. It is "rumored" to be supported. Are you able to confirm it works with directstream? If so we can enable auto-detect to allow the roku4 to directstream AAC 5.1.

Not sure why you have this apprehension to use the private neon app. Did it give your roku an STD? Is there something you arent telling us?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

sippelmc

Fair enough. AAC 5.1 is not possible in the official app. It is what it is.

It is only possible in the blue neon app when using "force directstream". The reason, AAC 5.1 support with roku4 is not confirmed. It is "rumored" to be supported. Are you able to confirm it works with directstream? If so we can enable auto-detect to allow the roku4 to directstream AAC 5.1.

Not sure why you have this apprehension to use the private neon app. Is there something you arent telling us?

Thank you for the response.  No apprehension, it is my parents Roku while I am just visiting for a while, so its just extra steps to add the private channel =)  Plus I just generally like using "official" stuff.

I will probably end up going that route.  I tried on my Roku 3 and had the same issue.

Edited by sippelmc

The roku3 cannot play back 5.1 AAC. Even if you "force directstream" it will play, but you will hear no sound. It is the roku4 with this rumored ability. The blue neon app was just updated to make it even more user friendly. The icon differs, you can have both official and private apps loaded at the same time. Use both, and tell me which you prefer. Once you go "blue", you wont want to go back to "monochrome".

Edited by speechles

sippelmc

Thanks, will do.  I am really preferring the Emby system better than Plex.  I don't understand why I can get 5.1 to light up on the AVR through the Plex Roku app, though, but not Emby.  So far, for that client, its my only concern.  Will work through it and thanks!

Edited by sippelmc

It is because plex has more users. More users means more money. More money offers them more hardware to share among developers. Their focus is on what developers want not what users want.

The blue neon app on the other hand is community driven. I expect nothing in return for its use. You can make requests for things, and they actually make it into the app. This is a users app, not a developers. I humbly ask for nothing in return. Only that you love your roku as much as I love mine.

• Like 1

Thanks, will do.  I am really preferring the Emby system better than Plex.  I don't understand why I can get 5.1 to light up on the AVR through the Plex Roku app, though, but not Emby.  So far, for that client, its my only concern.  Will work through it and thanks!

Hi, can you give an example? Can you provide the media info as seen in the web interface, and then also the transcoding log? See here for instructions:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

@@Luke, really? While logs are standard protcol in most instances they are superfluous cruft to the fellows issue at hand.

The reason is quite simple. With emby the AAC 5.1 isnt supported on the roku, and gets downmixed to 2.0. With plex, they pass it through. What we need is the fellow to use the blue neon app and attempt a "force directstream" on that video with the AAC 5.1 audio on his roku4. Once this is confirmed to work with audio we go from there. Then we add AAC up to 6 channel if it is a roku4. Pretty simple. Just need proof. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We need someone to eat the pudding.

Edited by speechles

Yea, I just want to learn about the issue because right now I'm not fully aware of what situations cause the problem and what is needed to fix it.

Luke, we seriously need to collaborate together on the roku side of things. There is so much opportunity to do better for the roku users who chose emby. We need to speed up the pace the app is evolving. Remember gcw07(grant) and tikuf? I am like the two of them put together. This is why I answer most of the roku questions or try to. Together we can do great things. :)

• Like 1

@@Luke, really? While logs are standard protcol in most instances they are superfluous cruft to the fellows issue at hand.

The reason is quite simple. With emby the AAC 5.1 isnt supported on the roku, and gets downmixed to 2.0. With plex, they pass it through. What we need is the fellow to use the blue neon app and attempt a "force directstream" on that video with the AAC 5.1 audio on his roku4. Once this is confirmed to work with audio we go from there. Then we add AAC up to 6 channel if it is a roku4. Pretty simple. Just need proof. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We need someone to eat the pudding.

so you're saying this pass through should only be on roku 4?

@@Luke

Yes, no other roku model supports AAC 5.1. According to roku officially the roku4 supported AAC 5.1, as does rokuTV models. Upon initial inspection on its release though this wasnt true. Roku also claimed ALAC support initially which wasnt true. This is now also addressed. The roku4 has its own firmware of os7. The rokuTV has its own. This is what instills the difference. So roku4 may eventually continue to gain features if the chipset allows it. The roku3 and the rest are pretty much wrung dry of what they can do. The classic roku they have dropped store support for. We cannot update the apps they will download any longer. Roku cached copies for them and thats how they stand. Roku wants to end the fragmentation. This change hasnt happened yet for legacy roku, just classic, but it is coming for legacy too. So the focus should be the roku2 and roku3 from 2012/13, the new rokus (1,2,3), the streaming stick (hdmi), the roku4, and rokuTv. This is to put the focus on models which support scene graph. The only reason legacy wasnt killed already, was the last push of legacy motherboards labeled as the roku se. I know this is outside the conversation but you should know.

I am leery of just wily-nily copy plexs assumptions on some things until we verify proof that these things do indeed work. This is where users with roku4 need to help us, so that we can help them. Please those with roku4 help us test out the "force directstream" option and find ways auto-detect can be improved. This requires minimal effort on testers, just a simple change of an option on the app on the pre-play/detail screen. This is where it helps to know, rather than to guess. At the moment the emby app on roku is far more intelligent than plex. The blue neon app a smidge moreso because of its toggle options.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

sippelmc

I just wanted to confirm that with the Neon app I am getting Dolby D to light up using the Roku 4.  Once I can get access to the Roku 3 I'm happy to test it out for you on that platform as well, or if you want me to run through a series of tests on Roku 4 just let me know.  Thanks so much for everything!  

I was an old time paying MB supporter, one of the earliest, but moved away after MCE started to get deprecated by MS.  Anyhow I'm glad to be back and it is so refreshing to see many more transcode bitrate options, the server is truly first class, and the quality is great on Roku.  

I "came back" to Emby now that Theatre is coming out of development.  Thanks!

And I agree the Neon app is way better than the Plex roku app.
Edited by sippelmc

Thanks. Is this pull request still  up to date or does it require adjustment?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/119/files

yes, but.. That doesn't make AAC 5.1 pass-through, but you know this. ^_~

That is the one that will update audio detection for roku4, it needs this as well:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/130

But.. this hasn't upped AAC to 6 channel for roku4 yet. You can see in the capabilities.brs it is still unable to move from 2 channel. But maybe this should be 6 channel if roku4 is detected? Should we just add it too? I will let you answer this question.. heh

NOTE: Feel free to apply these changes as you see fit. I put the hevc/vp9 in the middle of the h264 section when port my changes and submit the pull (which doesnt cause problems), but you will see what I mean, it messes with the flow of the code and eyeballing it. I didnt realize until after I submitted it. My bad. heh..

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

@@Luke

I made a big mistake. The code will fail on a variable being used that is invalid. Look for the ( model = "4400" ) if's. Above them should be a reference to create the var.

device = CreateObject("roDeviceInfo")
     model = left(device.GetModel(),4)

I apologize. In my rush this was overlooked. This was not intentional.

@@Luke

I made a big mistake. The code will fail on a variable being used that is invalid. Look for the ( model = "4400" ) if's. Above them should be a reference to create the var.

I apologize. In my rush this was overlooked. This was not intentional.

Can you submit a PR? thanks.

Heh. I mean, should we give the fellow in the original post his wish directly, using the plex assumption? Maybe we should and wait until users with roku4 complain they have no audio on their videos containing 5.1 AAC? .. Dilemma.. This is better if you decide.

You already support mp3 and ac3 in hls/ts so it has to be AAC 5.1 not playing in surround for the guy. If it were indeed Dolby and wrapped in AC3 we would not be having this conversation right now. :)

Edited by speechles

With roku4 AAC 5.1 can supposedly pass-through. Its just I am not sure at which firmware version this happens. So just to make a blanket statement that the roku4 can decode it is incorrect. Roku4 with the correct firmware can. So we can assume roku4 auto-updates, it does, it is the other devices that wont. So perhaps all roku4 using emby should get AAC in 5.1 without firmware check? Plex isnt check, its just assume the roku4 is updated. Is this how we should too?

Edited by speechles

I think it's probably ok because the roku 4 is still pretty new at this point, so the issues are only going to be temporary anyway. plus, previous roku firmware had lots of other issues so anyone on older firmware is probably going to have more problems than just this.