Dev Server 3.0.5865.39062 - Changed Cover Aspect Ratio

shorty1483
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

shorty1483

AR of the Movie and Series Coverart changed. Is this by design and wanted @@Luke @@ebr ? Like the new AR more, if by design it would be nice to align it in the middle of the box or abandon the BG.

56a34dc1115e5_Unbenannt.png56a34e13e57b2_Unbenannt.png

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

What did it look like before? That looks proper to me.

Before the covers were stretched to fill out the upper space in the grey square also. The watched icon was in the cover.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

But still not proper scaling in subpages (Recommendations in Movie Detail Page, Movies in Collections, Seasons in series pages).

56a4bd9e8b9bc_Unbenannt.png

Edited by shorty1483

Yeah, what you are saying is incorrect, is actually the correct aspect for those images.  What you said is "fixed" is stretched.

shorty1483

Yeah, what you are saying is incorrect, is actually the correct aspect for those images.  What you said is "fixed" is stretched.

This is what I asked. If the new (to me) smaller AR is the correct one. And if so, if the layout of the movie box around the cover and movie name in overview could be fixed proportional to the correct AR of the cover.

Tonight a Dev server release was pushed with the title "Fix image scaling" and they look again like in my first post. I deleted all caches (Chrome, Emby). So what should I think? I just reported a main optics change initally for me and asked if this is right. If this gets reverted I have to think this was a bug in Browser image handling.

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

Latest Dev reverted AR to the one from first post again. Nice.

shorty1483

Take it back. The resolution is just correct on the Android Client and Samsung app which I used yesterday in the evening. On WebClient (checked FF and Chrome today), the covers are still stretched, but just in the overview screens like library view and Suggestions.

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

@@ebr could you please move the thread to Webclient section since it's obviously just a problem with this part of Emby.

shorty1483

Now BTT, just to recapitulate this Bug (?), 

CoverArt generated pictures look like this:

56a79ebe1d350_Unbenannt.png

The generated picture has a correct AR.

When opening an overview page, the Cover looks stretched, like @@ebr mentioned further in this thread:

56a79f0e08d0e_Unbenannt2.png

When opening Details page of the movie or any page except the main library pages, the Cover has the proportions of the source file again:

56a79f401f186_Unbenannt3.png

So the stretching affects only the following pages/tabs: Suggestions, Movies/Series, Trailer, Collections

I don't want to open another FR thread as long as I'm not redirected to, but the question is, if the stretching could be eliminated from server side @@Luke and if the watched flag could be moved more down into the cover. I know this is just the case for Coverart generated pics since I think the WebClient expects a pic with ca. AR 1.5:1 when not using CoverArt.

Edited by shorty1483

shorty1483

Is there a marching route regarding the right AR?

I would like the option to stretch all images to have identical dimensions. A lot of old and foreign films posters do not use the same aspect ratio as modern posters.

For example the top row of my movies collection is now uneven: https://i.imgur.com/bpSlslc.jpg

That's actually just a defect in the stable server. It's fixed for the next release as well as the beta branch.

Deathsquirrel

I would like the option to stretch all images to have identical dimensions. A lot of old and foreign films posters do not use the same aspect ratio as modern posters.

For example the top row of my movies collection is now uneven: https://i.imgur.com/bpSlslc.jpg

Additionally, there is almost certainly poster art for your movies that does follow the standard dimensions.  I've never had any difficulty finding 2:3 art for anything but the most obscure titles...though I'm going to hunt down the people trying to force me to switch from 1000:1500 to 1000:1426 and stab them as many times as it takes to make them stop.

shorty1483

what screen do you see having an issue?

The problem is, that the WebClient and Android app do not respect the Aspect ration of the CoverArt generated Posters. Since something changed again in one of the latest dev server releases, the explanations above became obsolete. The problem is atm globally in every section of WebClient and Android App except the Movie Cover left from movie title in details page, which has correct apect ratio.

The CoverArt generated pics in "Emby-Server\cache\images\enhanced-images" look like this:

56a79ebe1d350_Unbenannt.png

But in WebClient and Android App they look like this:

56a79f0e08d0e_Unbenannt2.png

Other Apps like the Samsung Client respect the AR and don't stretch the Image vertically to fit in the overview pages, which looks kinda weird as @@ebr suggested too.

Edited by elysium

Correct. We've already established that if the image A/R is close enough to the desired A/R by the UI then it will be stretched. As far as the app adjusting to the clear case treatment, we don't pass that information down to the UI. the only thing they are aware of is the image A/R, and it's correct, although whitespace in the image can cause that to appear off.

• Like 1

shorty1483

Correct. We've already established that if the image A/R is close enough to the desired A/R by the UI then it will be stretched. As far as the app adjusting to the clear case treatment, we don't pass that information down to the UI. the only thing they are aware of is the image A/R, and it's correct, although whitespace in the image can cause that to appear off.

So the visual treatment in post #18 is correct. Nevertheless Is there any possibility to get the Coverart Plugin Image unstretched in WebClient? It seems that there is also no setting in CoverArt plugin for this. Or could this be part of the plugin @@ebr ?

• Solution

the plugin has no control over how the apps choose to display their images. i think one day we can move away from having desired aspect ratios and make them more dynamic, it's just a little more difficult when the web client has to support internet explorer

• Like 1

shorty1483

the plugin has no control over how the apps choose to display their images. i think one day we can move away from having desired aspect ratios and make them more dynamic, it's just a little more difficult when the web client has to support internet explorer

There is only one solution: Abandoning IE :D:P