Hiding users from the login screen

bigjohn
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

In MBServer User Profiles, I am setting my admin account to "Hide this user from login screens".  It works and hides it from MBTheater, but does not hide it from the login screen of MBClassic.  Is there a setting somewhere else I need to change to make this happen on MBClassic as well?

I'm using:

MBServer Version 3.0.5097.16641

MBTheater Version 3.0.5097.22952

MBClassic Version 3.0.100.0 B12-4.1

Thanks!

BTW -- Absolutely fantastic product here, I recently became a 2nd time supporter of the project.  I've made some conversions among my friends as well, converting one XBMC user and one Plex user.  Keep up the amazing work, I love the direction this application is going.

• Like 1

Thanks simono5, I appreciate the reply.  I did know about that possibility from having searched the forum before asking my question. That seems to be a common answer to questions similar to this one.  Unfortunately that doesn't really address the issue, and here is why.  My setup uses three accounts: one called Kids, one called Adults, and one called Adm!n.  I personally would just use MBTheater, but my wife and kids are very used to the MBClassic interface (and I am happy with the current equilibrium of the 6-year-old being able to make things work for her...).  So I want the Adults and Kids logins to be visible for them, but don't want the Adm!n login avaialble, and can't just default to one particular login.

Redshirt

MBC doesn't honor the hide from login screens option. There's a lot going on with MBC so it's just a matter of time until ebr gets there.

• Like 1

• Solution

It is actually not honoring it on purpose because, in the early going, there were people who were using that option to only hide profiles from mobile clients but wanted them to show in MBC.

i can probably safely change that behaviour now.

• Like 1

It is actually not honoring it on purpose because, in the early going, there were people who were using that option to only hide profiles from mobile clients but wanted them to show in MBC.

Aha!  It is a feature, not a bug!

Many thanks for the answer.

• 2 weeks later...
DGMayor

I know I'd appreciate it if the hide user setting was honored in MBC! :)  However, I think there needs to be an option to type in a login just in case.

There is not going to be an option to type in a user at this point in MBC because the interface is designed to be used with a remote not a keyboard.

Hidden users, however, will be honored in the next release.

DGMayor

There is not going to be an option to type in a user at this point in MBC because the interface is designed to be used with a remote not a keyboard.

Hidden users, however, will be honored in the next release.

Just out of curiosity, how is typing a username any different than typing a password?  Onscreen keyboard comes up and you can use your remote to enter a password.  Wouldn't entering a username be the same?

Just out of curiosity, how is typing a username any different than typing a password?  Onscreen keyboard comes up and you can use your remote to enter a password.  Wouldn't entering a username be the same?

Passwords are suggested to be digits.  If your's aren't then there really isn't a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Marked this one solved because it works just as described in the latest release of (MBC 3.0.108.0 B1-7.1).

@@ebr, Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ebr,

With this new release, the system does honor the hide, but it haven't found any way to access a hidden account in MBC at all. Is there anything I'm missing? The web has "manual login", but I must admit I miss the simplicity of the Unlock System from MB2. Is there any way to have a master pin to show all accounts, and still maintain remotes as a viable control system?

You cannot access hidden users from within MBC at this time.  Manually entering user names is a real pain with a remote control as the primary interface so that is not an expected logic path for the htpc.

I get that, that's why I'm suggesting there be a PIN number that could be entered, to show all users. No user name typing, just a pin to override the hide.

• 2 months later...

Allow me to add my voice to the desire for a manual login link in MBC.  I have several users setup.  One for the kids, with no password, that any of the kids can launch and watch PG or lower rated movies.  One for the teens that has a password and allows the teens to see PG13 and lower rated movies.  And finaly, one for the adults that has no rating restrictions.  I would prefer to keep the adult account hidden.  (What they don't know is there, they don't ask to see).   I had set it up so that the adult account's name is a series of digits as well as the password.  It was working great on the web interface.  Hit manual login and login..  On the MBC however, it's not there and there isn't an option to type it in.

This means that I have to have the other account visible.  It's not optimal for my situation.

• 4 months later...

I would also like to be able to log into a users profile when that user is hidden from the mobile client.

Hiding from the mobile client requires whoever sees the server from the internet to type in both a user name and password and is better for security.

If we had the ability to type in the user in MBC then we would maintain security for mobile clients and allow access to the server from MBC.

I don't feel comfortable using MBC at this time as it reduces the security of the server by not allowing you to type in the user name.

I understand you can't keep everybody happy but there should be no compromise on the side of security.

To allow deleting of content from the MBC interface you need to make that profile an administrator giving it access to your whole server. Then you need to make that user accessible to everybody who stumbles across your server on the internet and protect it with a password...just a password. I did not see any type of limitation on the number of times you can enter a password so it is just a matter of time before someone has access to your server via an administrators account and can then delete all your content...Not Cool.

It seems like anybody who uses MBC with access to the internet is just one password away from having their system compromised.

Pro tip. Your password is never strong enough especially when there is no limit to the number of times you can type a password to guess it.

Good thing Media Browser legacy works alongside the server. It is not as pretty but it is secure and I sleep well at night knowing I can secure my server on the internet and still have all my content locally available for my family.

Edited by skept

One thing that does need to be done is to tie the ability to delete content to the server-side option.  That option didn't exist when this was first implemented in MBC.

A manual login option in MBC is on the list to get done but it isn't a trivial task and it is obviously not a huge priority for most users of MBC (evident by the fact you are the first to bring this up in 5 months).  Plus, from the user perspective typing a user name with a remote control is no fun at all ;).

I use MBC with a wireless keyboard/trackball combo (also use a remote sometimes).

I would bring this topic up more often, but I don't want to be a pest about it. I believe I have noted before in another thread that updating MBC is a hassle because I have to first log in to MBS to unhide my admin user before I can log in to MBC to do the update. I use MBC on more than one computer as well.

Just letting you know there are others that would like to see this feature implemented.

nydude25

I doubt everyone needs a password when they are using MBC, so as long as this stuff is all optional, then it shouldn't cause much trouble.

A simple setting to disable using any new password system, or an option to just keep a single user permanently logged in.

Okay quit yer whinin' - manual login is in dev version 202 ;).  Not terribly pretty and was a real pain but it is done now.

• Like 2

jeflatt

Sorry for circling back to one of the original postings on this thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread. MBClassic just updated on my machine recently (3.0.205.0 8-29.1) and the option to automatically log-in as a particular user doesn't seem to be there anymore, or at least I can't find it. (MB3 version 3.0.5347.22095) I only have one user profile on the server, so it's an annoying nuisance to have to log-in to this user profile every time when there is only one user with no password. 

If you open the configurator you can set MBC to automatically log-in as a particular user.

Hope that helps you.

The option is still in the configurator (first tab) but it is easier to just set this in the main config page inside MBC:

5401dc7b0dc1d_mbcautologin.png

You probably never had the option set because, previously if there was only one user, it would automatically log in to that user.  But now that you can access hidden ones manually I can't make that assumption anymore.

• Like 1

jeflatt

The option is still in the configurator (first tab) but it is easier to just set this in the main config page inside MBC:

5401dc7b0dc1d_mbcautologin.png

You probably never had the option set because, previously if there was only one user, it would automatically log in to that user.  But now that you can access hidden ones manually I can't make that assumption anymore.

Thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking for. It did the trick. I never saw that inside MBC before.