How "Busy" is your Emby server?

pir8radio

pir8radio

Just curious how other Emby users are putting their server to work....   Do you use it for family only, internal network, external usage?   Public?   Does anyone keep stats on your usage?   Just curious, I would like to see a honkin' Emby server with all kinds of abuse.. lol.  Please share!

Here are my Emby stats for the last 8 months...  

567b812a89dab_Capture.png

567bf42685132_1Capture.png

Concurrent transcoded streams: Tested to 16 so far. Test done with desktop PC as client on the same network as Emby server. All streams being transcoded, Client PC maxed out CPU, Server had no issues.  Yay Emby!

56676cbf8e8f5_moviestreamtest.jpg

Edited by pir8radio

Koleckai Silvestri

Don't really keep track. My server is just available on the local network with six users. Most concurrent streams supported so far is four. Most access is via Roku devices or the Web Client. Still waiting for a good Windows client that doesn't rely on Media Center, which none of my computers have.

As long as people aren't complaining about missing episodes, broken streams, or things not playing correctly then it is all good. Just spent $1000 building a server box so my wife doesn't have problems streaming Supernatural.

• Like 1

pir8radio

I think your setup is about as "honkin'" as it gets ;).

lol nonsense... I've seen/heard of some pretty impressive setups in the bragging sections here...   Doesn't Emby have a test server that is open to the public?  It has to get abused!   :)  

My server is a mix of open and closed, (open for training videos and contests but closed for my video library.

haven't managed to make it lag jet, the most on the same time is 16 people. playing a mix of HD and Sd.

Biggest problem for some reson is playing sd or Hd home-made movies, (all movies are transcoded in handbrake, and the latest 100 oso is h265 insted of h264)

the most i saw the cpu go to is about 60-70% on 8 cores and a  memory usage of about 3 gig, (can Emby handel 56Gig off ram?) running ubuntu x64  

and here is the hardware =)

running on a Amd Opteron 6386se (16 core)  and 56gig off buffert ecc ddr3 ram, 5x3TB in raid5 + 1ssd for op and Emby, 5x1gig network in load balance/ fail over. (2x2/2x2) and the fifth is for IPMI

Cpu and northbridge  is water cooled by a 480 radiator that got 8x140mm fan in push/pull, the rest of the hardware gott an other 6x140mm fan for cooling hdd and motherboard, the air is coming from a big cirkulation pump for houses for now but will probable switch to a AC connected to a mountain heater/cooler in the summer (had close to 60c in the last summer so something needs to be done).  its al connected to a cisco 52 port PoE switch that's connected to my home made router running i3/16gig ram and ssd (and off course water cooled ;-) its all connected to a fiber converter, i gott a dedicated fiber connection (only me on that line the hole way to the station) that i installed for about a year ago, its only 100/100 now (will be 1000/1000 weary soon) hmmm the server also gott a backup server(nas) running if the raid fails, then its switch over to a thecus n7700pro2  that's runs 7x3TB in raid6, 4gig ram/dual core and 2x1gig network.  for the media streaming in the house, im running about 15-20 different devices and it a mix off hardware, but for the tv´s im running remixmini connected by shielded cat6a (got wired network all over the huse) (remix mini is the best thing ever) i was running the Tronsmart 4gig before but that sucks compared to remix. for the wlan im running 2 x unifi access points (3x unifi right now, but im removing 1 for i rely dont need it).

Wheel that's all for the media part of the network.  feels nice to brag some times, but reeding what i just wrote i realise that i have spent way to much money on this shit, and right now im praying that my wife will never now ;-)

(and then i haven't talkt about the security part and all the cameras or the smart huse part, fuck im dead if she ewer find out, think il better start to slow down on this now ;-)

(excuse the bad grammar)

/Regards

Edited by chali
  • Like 1

pir8radio

See there are beefy servers out there!  Thanks @@chali for the post!   :)

Still looking for servers with a lot of user traffic if anyone wants to post. 

• 2 weeks later...
colejack

No heavy traffic yet, I'm still in the testing stages and in the process of building out a beefier ESXI server and more and larger drives in my NAS. But I am planning on having 3-4 remote family members having access to my server. Possibly more.

• Like 1

JeremyFr79

Don't really track the traffic for my Emby Server independently, but this is overall one month on my router.   Connection is currently 175/35 (City is getting Gig soon!)  This month was a bit higher than normal for usage for me but I did so major offsite backups etc this month.  My normal monthly is closer to 2-3 TB's of data.

As a side this is on Comcast, and they've never once throttled or lettered me for usage.  Nice to live in a city where they have direct competition from the city itself :)

568ed2450c940_traffic.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MSattler

Just curious how other Emby users are putting their server to work....   Do you use it for family only, internal network, external usage?   Public?   Does anyone keep stats on your usage?   Just curious, I would like to see a honkin' Emby server with all kinds of abuse.. lol.  Please share!

Here are my Emby stats for the last 8 months...  

567b812a89dab_Capture.png

How are you getting these stats?  Are you running proxying emby somewhere to get these stats?

Thanks!

pir8radio

@@MSattler

I run emby behind an nginx (for windows) reverse proxy..  Then i use weblog expert to analyze the nginx access logs.  Weblog Expert works with IIS, and Apache too.   Its pretty nifty... I now have it looking up my usernames from emby and i can filter stats per authenticated user, using the userID thats in the request strings.   You can do all kinds of cool logging between nginx and weblog expert.   Here is an online sample report that shows some of the stuff you can see:  https://www.weblogexpert.com/sample/index.htm

Edited by pir8radio

MSattler

@@MSattler

I run emby behind an nginx (for windows) reverse proxy..  Then i use weblog expert to analyze the nginx access logs.  Weblog Expert works with IIS, and Apache too.   Its pretty nifty... I now have it looking up my usernames from emby and i can filter stats per authenticated user, using the userID thats in the request strings.   You can do all kinds of cool logging between nginx and weblog expert.   Here is an online sample report that shows some of the stuff you can see:  https://www.weblogexpert.com/sample/index.htm

Does Emby then see all traffic as being local?  That sorta kills the authentication method I am using now.

pir8radio

Does Emby then see all traffic as being local?  That sorta kills the authentication method I am using now.

@@MSattler

No the reverse proxy passes all of the client info to emby..  Emby doesn't know the difference.  Users show up with their regular IP's within emby.

Edited by pir8radio

ginjaninja

each 720p stream uses 2-3% of cpu of my i7-5820K server, so i would estimate 30 concurrent streams would be possible. 6 movies used 14% cpu.

for me my low rpm high seek time jbod storage drives are the bottleneck..each disk only comfortably supports 4 streams...the transcoding target (ssd) isnt breaking a sweat on 6 stream nor is memory.

i guess im not doing gpu transcoding which might help further...

looks like a modern 4 core intel + 16GB RAM with distributed fast  disk setup and an ssd for transcoding, should support 20 720p streams, and almost any pc hardware from the last 3 years would support 4 streams; which must be 99% of use cases. i guess it the nas feedback that will be more telling for others considering hardware.

ice pube

Anyone want to make a plugin to monitor stats?

I would love something like this! Something akin to the plexpy addon would be sweet. 

• 1 month later...
pir8radio

Any update on this?

I don't think anyone volunteered for the task....  And I don't think any of this info is really available to plugins even if someone wanted to make it....   Its usually the more geeky emby users that want the stats, and the geeky types can just run a reverse proxy and logging...     So if i had to guess, this wont happen any time soon.. 

dragon2611

Mines a VM on an Atom C2750 so not exactly powerful.  Well actually it's an LXC container these days so not even a full VM.

I'm sure the transcoding functions in Emby must have been optimised since I started using it (More threaded perhaps?) because I'm sure it used to fall on it's arse when trying to transcode previously, now it will load up all 6 cores that I allow it to use to get enough of a buffer then the CPU usage will drop dramatically.

Server is remote, did think about moving it onsite but I have enough bandwidth not to worry about it and it's nice to not have to hear a server whirring away in the corner.

Storage is a CIFS share provisioned by a RockStor VM on the same node (Passes through the storage disks).

Box still has 5x 3.5" slots free for extra disks (Currently has 3 HDD + 2 SSD)

MSattler

I don't think anyone volunteered for the task....  And I don't think any of this info is really available to plugins even if someone wanted to make it....   Its usually the more geeky emby users that want the stats, and the geeky types can just run a reverse proxy and logging...     So if i had to guess, this wont happen any time soon.. 

You should throw up a quick how to on how you are doing it.  Just steps to take, some screen shots, sample configs, etc.  I agree it will never really be a server function though.

• Like 1