Playlists and multiple users

fraenhawk

fraenhawk

Maybe I'm blind, but I created some playlists for my music today that I wanted to make available to my "Kids" user. They have access to the music library and I have no content rating parental controls turned on. Yet they don't have the Playlists node showing up anywhere in their interfaces like I do with my signon. As far as I can tell, playlists are universal for the server, not just per user, so why does playlists not show up anywhere. It's not in the library access tab to check off, and it's not in their Home Screen Settings like it is for me.

Olywa123

Playlists are deffo per user. However there is a way to manually copy them from one user to another.

All playlists will be stored on your server under ....AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\playlists, you could find the one you made in here, make a copy of the folder in the same location and open the playlist.xml in the copy with notepad. At the bottom of the playlist you will find the <UserId> tag.

i.e <UserId>43c35b897dc345f88fbdc9c94a676710</UserId>

You would need to edit this in the copy to be the user id you want to be able to view this playlist (you can check what this is either from another playlist that was created for that user or by going to your ...AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\users folder). 

Edited by Olywa123

fraenhawk

@@Luke is it the GUI portion of sharing that's coming in the future, or the backend changes to Emby aren't ready yet either?

I ask because I don't mind some xml editing and I noticed your structure has:

Shares

Userid

CanEdit

Does Emby know what to do if I just add another Share node inside the Shares?

Edited by fraenhawk

fraenhawk

Playlists are deffo per user. However there is a way to manually copy them from one user to another.

All playlists will be stored on your server under ....AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\playlists, you could find the one you made in here, make a copy of the folder in the same location and open the playlist.xml in the copy with notepad. At the bottom of the playlist you will find the <UserId> tag.

i.e <UserId>43c35b897dc345f88fbdc9c94a676710</UserId>

You would need to edit this in the copy to be the user id you want to be able to view this playlist (you can check what this is either from another playlist that was created for that user or by going to your ...AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\users folder). 

I wound up having to make a playlist under the Kids signon. There was nothing in the users folder with the userid. The folder is named Kids and the only GUIDs contained inside the policy or config xml were related to folders and views associated with that account.

fraenhawk

The good news: adding the extra share worked perfectly, now both accounts can see the playlisst and I don't have to copy them every time something changes.

The bad news: setting the CanEdit value to false did nothing. Both accounts can still edit/delete the playlist.

But this is still a great start and I trust my kids enough not to really mess anything up. Plus it's just a playlist, not the actual music files, and I can just backup those files if I really wanted to.

• Like 2

fraenhawk

Just for fun, I tried removing the music library from their account to see what would happen. Interesting: the playlists still show up. They all say 0 minutes, so I thought "okay, it knows they don't have access to the individual files that make it up. That makes sense." However when clicking inside the playlist, I still see all the media with the times.

If I click play on the playlist, nothing happens.

If I click a song row, nothing happens.

If I click the three-dot menu and click Play all from here, nothing happens.

If I click the three-dot menu and click Play, the individual song plays. Seems like that's bypassing the user access controls. The Next/Previous track buttons down in the play bar don't work, just the play/pause/stop.

• 1 year later...
PaulLH

I know this is an old post but is there any progress on this feature yet?

I really love Emby and it is getting better and better, my only issue is Playlists.

Let me explain my setup,

atm I have setup 1 user called USERS this has all of our music playlists (which I love because we can play on fire tv which you can't on some other media centres) and only shows kids rated films and shows which is great but we have to login to another user to see films and series for over the rating of U for us.

If the playlists could be shared to all users I could then make 2 accounts, 1. for the kids that can see all music playlists and  2. a user for us so we can see all contents but also see all playlists the same as the kids user.

If it asked for a password for films over the U rating this wouldn't be such an issue.

• 5 months later...
camerons

I'm a long time Plex user trying out Emby, and sharing playlists with other users is one feature I've wanted for a long time. 

I could not find a thread in the official Feature Request forum. Should I start one? Is this still in the works?

Edited by camerons

• 3 months later...
DarkFeather

With the current version of Emby (Version 3.2.60.0), all of my playlists are visible for all users. They don't seem to be respecting the user masks. Is there a setting that could have been reverted or a way to restore the right user ID's?

With the current version of Emby (Version 3.2.60.0), all of my playlists are visible for all users. They don't seem to be respecting the user masks. Is there a setting that could have been reverted or a way to restore the right user ID's?

Hi, if you are manually editing this in playlist xml files, what I can tell you is that we are not actively testing that, so at this particular time I can't really predict what side effects that will cause. We realize we need to improve our playlist management and user sharing features and that's something we are planning on for a future update. Thanks !

DarkFeather

Hi, if you are manually editing this in playlist xml files, what I can tell you is that we are not actively testing that, so at this particular time I can't really predict what side effects that will cause. We realize we need to improve our playlist management and user sharing features and that's something we are planning on for a future update. Thanks !

I have not as of yet manually edited a playlist XML. My only change on disk is to upgrade Emby to 3.2.60, which caused all playlists to be shared among all users. I'm looking for a workaround to return per-user playlist controls.

Very strange. I'm not able to reproduce this. What happens if you create a new playlist? How does that compare?

• 2 weeks later...
DarkFeather

Hey, Luke -- sorry for the delay. Creating new playlists results in playlists visible by all users. Example new playlist: https://ptpb.pw/htnD 

Looking at a hexedit of the user database, the user ID in there is for the creating user, and I don't see a share for the other user.

Edited by DarkFeather

Happy2Play

That's very strange because I can't reproduce that. @@Happy2Play or @@FrostByte can you reproduce this?

Sorry I just created a playlist in current beta and changed users and a different user could not see the newly created Playlist.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

wedgekc

I am having the issue where playlists are shared with multiple users, too.

1. Log into a different account (wife's account) using the web interface on my computer (she has no playlists)

2. Create a new playlist

3. She can immediately see/delete all of my playlists.

4.  I can also see/delete her playlists when I log back in.

The UserIDs in the playlist files are different

Server 3.2.70.0 in docker.

• Like 2