MKV playback crashes App

Toonguy

pir8radio

so i know this is an old thread, but one of my Roku users is having this issue... I went to his house, and sure enough any MKV movie he tries to play loads like 1/8 of the buffer bar then crashes the roku, it totally reboots...     Any other format seems to play fine..   whats weird is my roku's at my house seem to play MKV's fine...     any ideas?

so i know this is an old thread, but one of my Roku users is having this issue... I went to his house, and sure enough any MKV movie he tries to play loads like 1/8 of the buffer bar then crashes the roku, it totally reboots...     Any other format seems to play fine..   whats weird is my roku's at my house seem to play MKV's fine...     any ideas?

You'll need to gather the info here under Media Playback Issues:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

pir8radio

Ok, looks like MKV's dont play at all, even on my internal ROKU's   but they play fine in the phone, and browser clients.

Roku loading bar moves about 1/8 of the way and crashes the roku..   Tried with roku sticks, and 3's   I can send you the whole log file if needed, but its 40 megs...

Here is a good chunk of the end....   i tried to watch a few movies here...   my roku's are direct lan connected, no reverse proxy.

Stream prefs on roku are set to a low HD 6mbps. all other formats play.

-= REMOVED LOG TO SAVE FORUM SPACE =- 
Edited by pir8radio

Well for the network error in your log above, since you're on windows 7 you might need a hotfix

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cie/archive/2013/10/31/compute-emulator-invalid-access-to-memory-location.aspx

But that still shouldn't stop the app from playing, so you need to provide the rest of the requested info from the previous link.

pir8radio

well as i have slept on the issue...  is there a known issue with IPv6? and mkv/mp4 playback? or should everything work to your knowledge?    meanwhile ill try to gather the other stuff.

@@Luke just curious what did you see in the log that pointed you to the memory hotfix issue?

& FYI your emby.media site has been going offline quite a bit recently, If you did not already know...  when it is unreachable, it is also unreachable from my cell phone so pretty sure its on your providers end. Happened again about 30 mins ago for about 10 mins.

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

so I guess i did all of the steps in the link..  I 1. have a topic in the community, 2. described the problem in my own words. 3. no error messages to report other than the previous log. Can't supply screen shots, its on my roku. 4. Gave log, there was no transcode log to upload.   Did you need something else?

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

An update, now all of my roku users have confirmed trying to play an MKV crashes their roku, causing it to reboot.   This started within the last week or so, I was watching MKV's on Christmas..  No one else having roku/mkv playback issues?   If not, it must be something on my end..   :(  

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

Yes sir...    here are are three that all worked on Christmas day.

Media Info

Split Versions Apart
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1040
Aspect ratio1.85:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97599
Bitrate6717 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4
Audio
Languageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate625 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languagerus
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
Languagespa
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv
PathF:\Movie\Minions (2015)\Minions (2015).mkv

Media Info
Split Versions Apart
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x800
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate12115 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languagefre
CodecDVDSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languagespa
CodecDVDSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languagepor
CodecDVDSUB
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languagerus
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
Languagespa
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv
PathF:\Movie\Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)\Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).mkv

Media Info
Split Versions Apart
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x808
Aspect ratio2.40:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97599
Bitrate10696 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
CABACYes
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Subtitle
Languageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultYes
ForcedYes
ExternalNo
Subtitle
Languagerus
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Subtitle
Languagespa
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
Containermkv
PathF:\Movie\Fantastic Four (2015)\Fantastic Four (2015).mkv
Edited by pir8radio

@@pir8radio

which app are they using on their rokus?

Are you aware of the EmbyBlueNeon for roku app?

Can you post mediainfo for the files giving you issues? There is currently an issue with surround sound in mkv containers and subtitles in mkv containers. You can work around it by changing the roku system setting for hdmi and audio to stereo. This issue also affects plex for roku. There is no issue on your end, our end, or your users end. Roku is aware the situation, ljunkie from plex has submitted them a sample application to replicate the problem. This unfortunately is again, beyond our/your control. Please be patient. :)

Edit: beaten to the punch. It confirms it is the surround sound issue though. If everyone were doctors, we would all have patients.

Edited by speechles

pir8radio

@@pir8radio

which app are they using on their rokus?

Are you aware of the EmbyBlueNeon for roku app?

Can you post mediainfo for the files giving you issues? There is currently an issue with surround sound in mkv containers and subtitles in mkv containers. You can work around it by changing the roku system setting for hdmi and audio to stereo. This issue also affects plex for roku. There is no issue on your end, our end, or your users end. Roku is aware the situation, ljunkie from plex has submitted them a sample application to replicate the problem. This unfortunately is again, beyond our/your control. Please be patient. :)

Edit: beaten to the punch. It confirms it is the surround sound issue though. If everyone were doctors, we would all have patients.

I think we are talking about different issues,  all of these MKV's worked on Christmas day with no changes to the emby client preferences.  They are using the actual Emby green logo app. as am I. (ill edit post with version)  

Edited by pir8radio

@@pir8radio

The roku updates 7.0.9044 and 7.0.9021 had to be manually done. These updates will not automatically happen. The user has to check YES to update after choosing system update. So please make sure your users have done this (we dont want to chase old firmware issues). Once you are sure they are up-to-date and the problem is still present, try the blueneon app. I only say this because I know what it can and cannot do. On that app I have options to work around some of these issues. It should be self explanatory what the options do, hopefully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

pir8radio

@@speechles so what is the fix with the correct Emby app?  looks like from JAN 1 2016 to today, Jan 3 all of my users are on 9021

5689a7a274d73_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio

@@pir8radio

All your users should be on 9044 until they experience an issue. Then on your roku, go to the home screen. Then press the keys listed below.

Home Button x 5

FF x 3

RW x 2

This will get you to the "secret screen" and from here choose the option "Update Software"

f0584f5c77218c27054ef6b93324e068.jpg

This will downgrade that unit to build 9021. This firmware version doesnt have the issue. To update back to 9044 do it the normal way, thru settings and system update.

9021 has the over ~2 hours and using transcoding causes the roku to reboot issue. Sinc you are direct playing all to your remote users this firmware version is better for them. If it isnt nothing lost in trying, have them update their roku back to 9044.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

pir8radio

Uhh wait, your saying 9021 is good... they are all on 9021 already...  LOL i just updated MINE to 9044 well ill see what happens.   but the "secret" handshake is good info..   :D   Why do you think I am direct playing to all of my roku users?

Edited by pir8radio

I am saying for the people having issues with 9044, downgrading worked. All my mkv work flawlessly on 9044 so I dont downgrade. Just making you aware this is an option. There is a way to roll your roku back an update. The blue neon app allows more control of transcoding, some pretty colors, last played dates, etc. In your direct stream scenario this transcoding stuff may not be needed, but the other stuff it does is nice to have. I am just giving you all your options.

Edited by speechles

@@pir8radio

If you arent direct playing, and lots of users are transcoding then you/they should be using the blue neon app. I am betting your users havent set up their hdmi/audio settings on their roku. This also has to be done manually, and then when in the "hdmi" setting click "detect". This will change the options you can use in the roku "audio" setting.

The blue neon app uses this updated method to detect audio on firmwares over 6.1. The official app is not using a reliable method on firmwares over 6.1. I suspect this difference is the cause. I need to submit a pull request to luke so officially this is fixed.

There is a different method for obtaining device profiles in the 7.x flavor firmwares, for both audio and video. Eventually these methods will need to be adopted.

Sorry for earlier assumptions.

Edited by speechles

pir8radio

@@Luke @@speechles    looks like the manual update of roku firmware worked... Sorry to waste time.. I thought this Roku update was automatically done when they released it...  guess not..    thanks for walking the steps with me!

Edited by pir8radio

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/119

As promised here is the pull request to correct the problem of using deprecated audio functions on newer hardware. This is the 6.1 firmware method which still works correctly for firmware 7.x. The 7.x firmware has a newer function with better detection that improves this even more, but maybe that is better left in the new screen graph app still in development. This solves the problem in the interim.

Note that the definition of hasFeature(“5.1_surround_sound”) has changed in firmware v6.1. In previous firmware revisions it returned true when the user set the system audio format to "Surround Sound". In firmware v6.1 and above, it returns true when any of the codecs in the GetAudioDecodeInfo() AA has more than 2 audio channels. Users devices will also be default to the "Auto Detect" system HDMI audio setting in v6.1.

Edited by speechles