Lifetime support covers EVERYTHING right?

JarleH

All future versions right? All client versions, on all platforms right (and I mean ALL)?

90$ is a bit, so would like to make sure before I go ahead and get it  :)

Koleckai Silvestri

It covers the version 3 series of the server and explicitly mentioned clients and some plugins. Some clients and plugins are still an additional cost. One should also expect to repurchase when a version 4 series becomes available.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

It covers the version 3 series of the server and explicitly mentioned clients and some plugins. Some clients and plugins are still an additional cost. One should also expect to repurchase when a version 4 series becomes available.

Where does it state this info? Then what is point of lifetime support, if lets say a new version of the server comes out in a year, which of course 'everyone' wants to jump onto? So I just have lifetime support on the old version?

I know people need to make a living, but this lifetime time support is missleading, since I do not see any info anywhere about what lifetime means. Maybe I get this info if I select to buy it, but I have found nothing so far on the webpages about its how this works.

Why isnt there a well informative page about how the licences work? That clearly states what you pay for and what you get? Maybe Media Server once were for the interested few, but now I very much consider it a professional media solution, and this product need good PR and info about how the licences work, or new users will feel cheated and misslead.

Edit:

And if you are refering to this page https://emby.media/premiere/ it just looks to be examples of what you get, NOT a exact list of what you get and dont get.

Edited by JarleH
  • Like 2

It is the lifetime of the product.  We expect that lifetime to be quite long but, if a new version that was a complete re-write were to come about one day (like the difference between MB 2.x and MB 3/Emby) then the key may not transfer to that product - but it may too.

We have no plans for such a product right now so I imagine it would be years, if ever, when that happened.  However, the current product would still be valid and you wouldn't have to upgrade if that ever were to be the case.

We are adding new features for Premiere all the time so the list is somewhat fluid but we list some of the major ones on the web page.

overClocked!

Thanks @@ebr for the feedback. Something I would like clarification on is the $20 disparity between what's on the "Donate" tab of the server (slightly older versions) and the Emby Premiere pricing.

post-2317-1444575221707_thumb.jpg

I realize that the newest version of the server to date (3.05724.6) links directly to the Emby Premiere webpage. But there are many users that are using older, stable versions of the server and are on the fence about donating to gain access to some of the great exclusive features. They see different Lifetime pricing in their local server page than what's shown when they click the "Learn More" link. So I think this is where some of the confusion comes from.

It would also be good if somewhere on the Emby Premiere page there could be some sort of comment that states Emby Premiere has replaced those previous Donation / Subscriber prices that are still being referenced in older versions of the server.

I understand if there hasn't been a clear decision on what exactly "Lifetime of the product" means in terms of a major version release. But I think if it's going to be for the lifetime of Emby 3.x, that needs to be clearly communicated on the purchase information pages. That would be beneficial to everyone.

Deathsquirrel

I understand if there hasn't been a clear decision on what exactly "Lifetime of the product" means in terms of a major version release. But I think if it's going to be for the lifetime of Emby 3.x, that needs to be clearly communicated on the purchase information pages. That would be beneficial to everyone.

There absolutely has been a clear decision and it's been repeatedly communicated.  Lifetime subscriptions allow you to use the Emby 3.x server software with no time restrictions.  All EBR was saying is that it's certainly possible the people running some hypothetical Emby 4.x project could choose to allow current subscribers to move forward for free or for a reduced fee, but that they are under no obligation to do do if that project ever comes about.  Your Emby 3.x lifetime support only guarantees you access to the 3.x product line.

If you are looking for me to tell you that one payment you make today will provide you free access to every product or service ever provided by Emby into perpetuity, I'm afraid I cannot promise that and I don't think any other provider of any software or service can either.

What I can promise is that we strive to provide an exceptional value for whatever you do pay whenever you do pay it.  In fact, I think we provide an extraordinary value for absolutely free.

• Like 3

overClocked!

There absolutely has been a clear decision and it's been repeatedly communicated.

In forum discussions perhaps. But not on the main website where the majority of newbies who are evaluating the product go. I have been asked this by SEVERAL people that are trying this out and they all have the same questions when I tell them that it's only for the life of the 3.x product. Their reaction is the same as that of the OP. I am simply reinforcing the need to have that clearly communicated on the purchase page. People need to understand what they are getting for their money.

If you are looking for me to tell you that one payment you make today will provide you free access to every product or service ever provided by Emby into perpetuity, I'm afraid I cannot promise that and I don't think any other provider of any software or service can either.

No. That's not at all what I am asking. There may be some folks who think this way, because the word "Lifetime" carries with it a certain connotation in the minds of most non-software developers. It would therefore be good to spell out exactly what that means in the purchase options on the website. Or in an FAQ that's easy to find. Maybe even in the guide Wiki and link to it from the purchase page.

To be clear, I am not questioning WHAT Lifetimers get (seems clear on the Emby Premiere list of features). I'm wanting posted clarity of the DURATION of what they get that is not left open for interpretation. You don't want other potential supporters to expect to get upgrades for "EVERYTHING" for as long as they live.

It is reasonable that some plugins and features will sunset and have support dropped while the base product lives on. It is also reasonable to provide limits of the subscription to the life of the major version. I agree with all of that. It just needs to be identified a bit easier.

In fact, I think we provide an extraordinary value for absolutely free.

No question about it. For years I have been and will continue to be an advocate of this product for years to come. It has evolved at a tremendous pace and has given the big boys a run for their money. Heck, it's even considered one of the top products in this space. So the way you guys have gone about the business aspect has been good.

So keep up the good work and continue to listen to the ideas of your user base to help keep pushing this product in a positive direction.

Thanks for more info. Lifetime for me, sounds strange if it was not transferable to version 4, if lets say it were to come in like 1 year. Then this lifetime seems pointless.

As I now understand this, v3 is supposed to be the 'new' server for some years, and if a new version for some reason surface in like 1 year or so already, the Emby management may give us a transfer to newest version, if we got lifetime support.

Can anyone list what is NOT included RIGHT NOW in the Premium lifetime donation? Is there anything not included? Sorry for nagging, but kinda want to know what I am paying for, and if it covers my needs  :)

thefirstofthe300

The supporter membership includes access to all software put out by the CORE Emby team (Luke & ebr).  Essentially, that means the Android mobile and TV apps, Emby Theater, iOS, and most of the plugins.  There are some third-part developers not associated with the Emby corporation that charge for their software (for example, third-party plugins in the catalog. These plugins are clearly marked as premium though.  Also, I believe that the Windows apps are put out by third-party devs that charge extra).

The great thing about Emby is that as it is open-source with open APIs so you never know what some third-party devs may do as far as apps and innovation.  Also, if you have a special need, you can hack together a solution that works for you if you are willing to put in the time.

legallink

The supporter membership includes access to all software put out by the CORE Emby team (Luke & ebr).  Essentially, that means the Android mobile and TV apps, Emby Theater, iOS, and most of the plugins.  There are some third-part developers not associated with the Emby corporation that charge for their software (for example, third-party plugins in the catalog. These plugins are clearly marked as premium though.  Also, I believe that the Windows apps are put out by third-party devs that charge extra).

That is not 100% true as far as I am aware.  The supporter membership only provides what it says it provides access to.  Anything else, including things developed by the Core emby team, may be included or may not.  The most likely things to incur additional charges are 1. plugins and apps by 3rd parties and 2. mobile apps.

Yes legallink is right. We try to put everything we can under the subscription but we don't use the term All. If some new attractive feature were to present itself that would end up costing us money, then we may not be able to give it out under the current plans and it would instead go to the people who want to pay for it. That is just a hypothetical. We don't currently have anything like that, nor anything planned like that. 

Well its obviously not strange I ask about this, seeing even the 'old guys' saying different thing (even they arent too far away from each other).

For me what is important are the Server, the clients and the main/core addons, and as I understand it that is included in the Premier package.  :)

legallink

Well its obviously not strange I ask about this, seeing even the 'old guys' saying different thing (even they arent too far away from each other).

For me what is important are the Server, the clients and the main/core addons, and as I understand it that is included in the Premier package. :)

I'm not 100% sure that applies to all clients. I thought the Windows 8 app was paid, as were some of the mobile apps....no? Edited by legallink
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I'm not 100% sure that applies to all clients. I thought the Windows 8 app was paid, as were some of the mobile apps....no?

Correct, current clients developed by someone other than the core emby team may require additional payments to those developer teams.  The Windows 10 app, as an example, is not included in the server license and does cost money.

RedBaron164

I've been considering picking up the lifetime membership myself, I'm currently testing out functionality to see if it meets my needs as a WMC replacement in conjunction with Media Portal. As part of that I'm using Roku's in several different rooms to watch live tv and recorded shows from the server. Currently the Roku apps are free and just require premier support to unlock additional functionality. Are the Roku Apps and their functionality handled by the core Emby team or are they supported by third party dev's like those that built the Windows 8 app? I understand the Windows apps are not included in the lifetime subscription I'm just curious how the Roku app will be handled in the future.