Issue with VPN and local network clients

lionman

My setup consists of a win7 HTPC running Emby server which we primarily access via the WMC classic client as a local host. We really enjoy the seamless movement between the TV functionality of WMC and Emby with ehome IR remote support. This all works flawlessly.

We also run a variety of network clients, windows modern app, emby theater and the android app.  

My HTPC runs the PIA VPN client for anonymity and IP address obfuscation.

The issue is when the VPN is connected, which we want all the time, then network clients cannot access the server.

This issue seems to have developed around the time Emby Connect was implemented. It used to work fine at some stage in the past even with the VPN running.

With my most recent attempt to troubleshoot I realised the port on the VPN was set to the same as Emby server. I adjusted the port on Emby server and this hasn't solved the issue. After this change My Surface Pro 3 running the Emby modern app can now detect the server (it is displayed in the detected servers list) but when you click on its entry in the list, the entry flashes randomly but it doesn't connect. If I disable The VPN it works fine.

I'm not interested in accessing the server remotely. Our dismal ADSL connection wouldn't make for a great experience.

I should add that other apps I use which connect to the HTPC via the local network work fine such as an android remote control app running a server on the HTPC. I also use a music player called Musicbee which has an android remote app which works fine with the VPN enabled.

Are there some config changes required to get this working again? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by lionman

ryvanzandt

I run PIA on my server and have no issues what so ever streaming to several client around the house.

I assume you have the port forward in your router to the main server running emby?

Do you sign in to the apps with emby connect or do you add server manual?

Edited by ryvanzandt
  • Like 1

Emby Connect shouldn't affect internal use in your network. does the VPN affect the way clients see the server, and vice versa?

ryvanzandt

I'm running the pia windows app and internally everything should still us local ip. It shouldn't effect it.

Sent from My Note 4 using Tapatalk

Ah yep forwarding the port might help. I'll give that a shot. I always thought port forwarding was for internet access though?

I manually enter my HTPCs static IP and Port.

I didn't think the connect feature would affect it. I only mentioned it just in case there was a relationship.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by lionman

Setzer1994

I'm having the same issue - VPN causes non-server HTPCs to be unable to access the server.  Log for all machines (2x win8, 1x fireTV) reads:

EMBY DownloadUtils -> Server unreachable at: http://192.168.1.12:8096/mediabrowser/Users/Public?format=json

Router already has a port forwarding rule for port 8096.

Didn't have this issue until this past Friday 9/18