MKV wont direct play

MEB

There is only 1 audio track, it is not aac 2.0. Therefore the roku will give you silence/no audio if you direct play this while streaming. The emby client knows this and transcodes the audio. The first audio track must be aac 2.0 stereo, and the second can be ac3/dts tracks in 5.1. The roku can direct play the first audio track in surround sound over usb, but not when you are streaming. When streaming it must have a 2.0 and 5.1 track to play 5.1.This is the price of doing business on the roku. You may have to reencode an aac 2.0 audio track as the first, and have your dts track as the second audio track then it will direct play. This is not a bug in emby. This is a limitation of the roku. This is also a standard to do for max compatibility, multiple audio tracks in the right order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Alaskaoneday

I am running into a similar problem and unable to pass thru DD/DTS 5.1. I have even tried adding a AAC2.0 as the first audio track and the AC3 5.1 as the second and I still get transcoding and only 2 channel audio on the 5.1 track. I am able to get 5.1 pass thru with Netflix and Amazon without any issues.

Server SW  Version 3.0.5675.1

Roku 2 Model 4210RW

SW 6.2

Build 3467

Audio set to Auto (DD+, DTS)

Hdmi set to Auto Detect

Emby Channel SW 2.10​

Video Quality set to 30.0 Mbps HD

Link to Log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xb3n8jkpfc14yj/transcode-BillBurr.txt?dl=0​

[{"Codec":"mpeg2video","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":true,"BitRate":7152640,"BitDepth":8,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Height":480,"Width":720,"AverageFrameRate":29.97003,"RealFrameRate":29.97003,"Profile":"Main","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"16:9","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":8,"IsAnamorphic":false},{"Codec":"ac3","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","BitRate":224000,"Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0},{"Codec":"ac3","Language":"eng","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"5.1","BitRate":448000,"Channels":6,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":2,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":["mkv","webm"],"Bitrate":7152640,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{}}
Your video is mpeg2 inside an mkv. The roku cannot render this.

Your first audio stream is not aac it is ac3, but it is 2 channels. The roku cannot render this.

Your second audio stream is ac3 in 5.1 channel. The roku can render this, but because of the two issues above it has already chose to transcode.

You need to have H264 in mkv, with the first audio track aac 2.0, the second can be ac3/dts/dca in 5.1 if you expect the roku to direct-play.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk