Future MCE remote support?

scanner50

scanner50

Ok, hear me out on this one haha. I recently got a $90 Windows 8.1 tablet and the Emby app experience has actually been pretty decent on it. You can already use an MCE remote to navigate around the start screen in Windows 8.1 so it got me thinking: Wouldn't it be cool to use one of these as a TV client using the Win8.1 store app? After all, this tablet has a full sized USB 3.0 port, a mini-HDMI out, and a Bay Trail processor that can handle 1080p. Sure, it may not pack the power and features of a mini PC running Emby Theater, but I'm thinking it could be way cheaper and be a decent alternative to a Google TV setup? And maybe you could use it on something like the Intel Compute Stick too. All the Windows store app would need is remote support.

What do you think? :)

7illusions

If you bring out the charms-menu and click Settings -> General and enable Mouse & Keyboard layout you should be able to use your MCE remote. :)

• Like 3

Vicpa

Hi,

Funny you should ask. :) I use the Win8 app on my htpc. From a feature, UI standpoint I think it is way ahead of the current Theatre app. With all the player enhancements playback is pretty darn close as well.

Oh and by the way there is MCE remote support in the app now :) It needs a little tweaking. I give the developer a lot of credit for supporting 3 navigation formats, touch and swipe, mouse and keyboard, and MCE remote.

• Like 2

scanner50

Huh, didn't know that. Does it support all of the playback controls on the remote, like ff/rewind, jump forward/back, etc?

And yeah, the developer is doing insanely great on this app, no denying. I use it all the time. (EDIT: just realized that's you 7illusions! Thanks for the great app!)

To make this aspect more obvious somehow as a common usage scenario, even an advertised feature of the app, would be a very good thing I would think. And who knows, maybe it could convince even more people to adopt Emby and buy the app! :)

Edited by rainking430

SikSlayer

Huh, didn't know that. Does it support all of the playback controls on the remote, like ff/rewind, jump forward/back, etc?

This is a key point. I really need this. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro, and will soon replace it with the Surface 3, and this would be the perfect companion feature for travel.

gcoupe

I didn't realise that the app supported an MCE Remote. I've been waiting for Emby Theater to finally arrive, but in the meantime, I'll put this app on my HTPC and give it a whirl...

scanner50

Haven't had a chance to try it myself yet, but I'm wondering if it bitstreams HD audio. If it does, I'm going to make the switch too.

gcoupe

Hmm, MCE support seems buggy to me.

For example, although I can use the Arrow keys on my MCE remote to navigate through my Movie collection, they don't work for Music Albums, Album Artists or Artists. They do work, however, for Genres. 

One thing that doesn't work at all, and which I miss, is the "jump to" feature. That is, using the number pad on the remote to quickly jump to items beginning with the letter selected. So, for example, "ABC" is assigned to 2 on the keypad, "DEF" is assigned to 3 on the keypad, and so on. Then pressing "3" once, when in the Album view jumps to the first album whose title begins with "D". Pressing "3" three times in succession takes me to the first album that begins with "F".

• Like 2

bennymac

Hmm, MCE support seems buggy to me.

For example, although I can use the Arrow keys on my MCE remote to navigate through my Movie collection, they don't work for Music Albums, Album Artists or Artists. They do work, however, for Genres. 

One thing that doesn't work at all, and which I miss, is the "jump to" feature. That is, using the number pad on the remote to quickly jump to items beginning with the letter selected. So, for example, "ABC" is assigned to 2 on the keypad, "DEF" is assigned to 3 on the keypad, and so on. Then pressing "3" once, when in the Album view jumps to the first album whose title begins with "D". Pressing "3" three times in succession takes me to the first album that begins with "F".

Yeh I noticed this last night when I tried it. Music definitely not working thought TV and Movies seemed to work ok.

swhitmore

Is anyone using this on a TV instead of Emby Theatre? Wonder how well it scales.

Vicpa

Hi

@@swhitmore I use the app almost exclusively on my HTPC, TV av  receiver etc. I think it scales pretty well and plays just about everything. Still use MBC for drm tv recordings, but nothing except WMC can play them anyway. The UI and music support in Theater are showstoppers for me. Your mileage may vary :)

Yea the remote support needs some tweaks. Would also like to see a command to bring up bring up top and bottom menus. don't know if keyboard shortcuts can be mapped. "Win +Z" will do that. Can't seem to get that combo on my Harmony however. Can map just about everything else.

dnicks

Hi

@@swhitmore I use the app almost exclusively on my HTPC, TV av  receiver etc. I think it scales pretty well and plays just about everything. Still use MBC for drm tv recordings, but nothing except WMC can play them anyway. The UI and music support in Theater are showstoppers for me. Your mileage may vary :)

Yea the remote support needs some tweaks. Would also like to see a command to bring up bring up top and bottom menus. don't know if keyboard shortcuts can be mapped. "Win +Z" will do that. Can't seem to get that combo on my Harmony however. Can map just about everything else.

You can map "Win+" and others using Windows Media Center SE as your device model for Harmony. 

More info at this link.  http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=95063