Video Card Upgrade---Will there be any benefit?

GaryDZ

GaryDZ

I know the Media Server does not require a Rocket of a computer.

I am running Emby on a 1st Generation I-7, which might be over kill.  

When I upgraded my home computer, I made this one my Media Server.  

I use Ceton TV Tuner (4) and often stream Live TV over the internet--sometimes 2 people.  

My question is related to the Video Card.  

I am currently using the Video "Card" build into the mother board.  It has a "Windows Experience Index" of 3.2.    I have a NVidia stand alone card that has an index of 6.7.  

It seems to run fine as it is with the on-board video.  Will there be any benefit?  Is it worth the effort to put the card in my Media Server? 

Thanks

GaryDZ

Koleckai Silvestri

An updated video card currently doesn't provide any benefit to server processes. All the transcoding is CPU bound. The more powerful the CPU, the more Transcode or Sync streams you can run at once.

If you use a directplay client (WMC Client, Theater or Kodi) on the same machine, then it will probably reduce load off the CPU for playback.

for Emby Theater in it's current form, yes it will have a major benefit because the app sometimes struggles with onboard video.

with the new rewrite of Emby Theater coming soon, we will be offloading the video player into a separate process which is going to help quite a bit, and then it won't matter as much.

GaryDZ

Thanks for the responses...

Since the card is currently sitting on a shelf....  I might as well put it to work, if it will make a difference---even short term.