Server "Upgraded" to Win 8.1... Stuttering Video Now

skidmarks

skidmarks

OK hated Win 8 when it first came out, hate 8.1 now!  Before I format my machine and put 7 back on I would like to try and figure out why video streamed to a XBOX One now stutters (using internet explorer built into XBOX).  Didn't with Win 7!  Currently playing a episode of Band of Brothers.  Server says its transcoding a mp4 stream @ 97fps?  Playing same file on the server (internet explorer) and on my rokus are perfectly fine.  This is just one example.  Everything to the XBOX stutters the same now!  No matter the format. 

Further more I have been using Sharks codecs for years and they are installed again on my Win 8 update.  Where should I be looking to try and decipher the transcoding (I assume) issues between my server and xbox one?  I am close to put win 7 back on the server (had no issues with streaming to XBOX One), but will see if anyone has suggestions first. 

Same hardware, same codec package, everything other than operating system is the same.  Win 7 had no issues streaming!

Thanks in advance...

Edited by skidmarks

JeremyFr79

Codecs play no role in transocoding, MB Server has it's own built in copy of FFMpeg that it uses for transcoding material.

• Like 1

johnbury

I have been a win 8 / 8.1 and MediaBrowser user for a while.  Video playback has been fine for me until this weekend. 

I use XBOX One and browser client to play back and have had no problems.  Playback of many (if not all) MKVs is stuttering now .  Same videos play fine if using 'play to' options or directly in the XBOX Media Player App.

cheers

skidmarks

OK did some digging around.  I am also using the web browser built into XBOX One.  I am a little more than a little confused about the quality settings!  In the server software I have it set to Auto (let the server decide quality).  This is the setting I have always used, made sense to let the server do it.  But this morning I was on the XBOX One trying to decipher what was going on (since 8.1 or maybe it was the last version of media center).  If you hit the gear in internet explorer on the xbox (quality) the settings are all over the place.  

My Band of Brothers episode (mkv) that I mentioned...  It was trying to run at 480p 3M (dashboard states it transcodes to mp4).  Stutters.  Choose any other option (higher or lower quality) no stutter.  Go back to the original one 480p 3M no stutter?  Found this to be true with everything I tried! 

I also noticed that some of my files (mp4) had a direct play option (making no need for transcoding) and that was not the default selected option.  Think that would be the best option if available.  Selected direct play on a few of these and they ran perfect,  I was reading that I might need to use path substitutions for direct play, but my media was working, so wasn't concerned.  But maybe its time for me to read up on these paths.  My bad for not keeping up as media browser went forward.

File types do not seem to come into play (as far as I can tell).  I guess using the internet explorer option for utilizing media browser has its disadvantages!  I am assuming that changes made on one ie device will change the settings to all ie devices!  If you change to the max quality on one (like my server) it will remember that when playing media on other ie devices.

Edited by skidmarks

skidmarks

Well its not a fix by any means, but information that allows me to watch non=stuttering videos. 

What other options other than ie is there really on xbox one?  Using the DLNA server turned out to be a train wreck on my system.  It connects, but the media that you select to play is not what ends up playing.  Play to option is there, but another step to make my wife MORE confused.

I will see what other issues I might have with windows 8.1.  I do a lot of video editing and audio re-mastering, so I think that was the final straw that broke windows 8's back  for my first go around with it.  Might be another format of the server and another roku in the future.   

Your right the DLNA option does get tedious when trying to select, for instance, an episode in the middle of a season. It will always play the first episode and you will have to "d-pad" your way to the episode you want to watch.

Movies aren't a problem because they reside I. Their own media folder.

But it is impossible to skip forward and back lol!

johnbury

Hi Chef

I too would be interested to know what mechanism you use to access media server from an XBOX One.  Do you use the native XBOX Media player?  If so does playing via this route update the 'viewed' / 'not viewed' status of the file?

cheers

John

johnbury

@ Chef

I have been doing a little background reading and came across an earlier post of yours which has answered my questions:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/18393-xbox-one-news/

I have used MB for a number of years and have never really explored the default settings (these have almost always worked brilliantly for me).  I am now minded to explore a little further.

cheers