intel Compute Stick

swhitmore

MSattler

The new ones have vent holes for one. Like @MSlatter says, this particular unit overheats pretty quickly and I'm not too interested in buying it from China (though I have no problem with that normally) especially with all the bloatware on it. The NSA is bad enough without the Chinese snooping on me too.  ;)

Is the stick are nice, I've been using the Fire TV stick for a while, and for remote locations it works pretty darn well <strictly playback speaking, the look of course needs help>.

I would rather have the same specs, same price for a somewhat larger box that won't overheat that has ethernet/sd slot/micro usb/usb built in.  It's still small enough to hide, and less likely to overheat.  I also want a remote which these units do not come with.

jhevener

Is the stick are nice, I've been using the Fire TV stick for a while, and for remote locations it works pretty darn well <strictly playback speaking, the look of course needs help>.

I would rather have the same specs, same price for a somewhat larger box that won't overheat that has ethernet/sd slot/micro usb/usb built in.  It's still small enough to hide, and less likely to overheat.  I also want a remote which these units do not come with.

Couple of questions @@MSattler

Do you use the Minix Neo X8h Plus Pro for LiveTV via ServerWMC? I have both HDHOMERUN and CETON as tuners.

Is this the best particular Minix unit out there? http://www.amazon.com/MINIX-X8-H-Plus-Lite-Accelerometer/dp/B00RCUK2GS/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Edited by jhevener

MSattler

Couple of questions @@MSattler

Do you use the Minix Neo X8h Plus Pro for LiveTV via ServerWMC? I have both HDHOMERUN and CETON as tuners.

Is this the best particular Minix unit out there? http://www.amazon.com/MINIX-X8-H-Plus-Lite-Accelerometer/dp/B00RCUK2GS/ref=pd_cp_e_0

So....

With Kodi, there is a HDHomerun Plugin that plays back Live TV direct from the HDHomerun, such a solution does NOT exist for Ceton to my knowledge.  ServerWMC Live TV does NOT work with EmbySync and is never expected to be.  If you want LiveTV for both HDHomerun and CETON tuners, you will need your ServerWMC install, and I believe a linux based tv box that Kodi can stream from?  Unless there is a Kodi - ServerWMC connector.

Now, if you use the Emby Android client, you can get Live TV to play back, just understand there currently is no guide, and it is totally transcoded.

That link is the exact one I bought.  There are two firmware upgrades out there for when you receive it.  The Over the air update won't work, I can look through notes and link you to the firmware upgrades in their forums.  Basically you download the first update, copy it to SD card, in the upgrade menu point it to the file on the SD card and it will reboot.  It will act like it's failing, you get a mini menu where you tell it to use the SD card, and then it flashes and upgrades.  That upgrade adds the new Over The air upgrade app which does work.

That Neo x8H Plus is currently the best thing out there.  Currently it runs Kit Kat 4.4.2.  There is potential for it to be upgraded to Lollipop per their forums.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

For the Intel stick, I suspect that Intel's hardware partners will eventually copy it and put out a better product. Plus it will be a lower price point.

• Like 1

jhevener

So....

With Kodi, there is a HDHomerun Plugin that plays back Live TV direct from the HDHomerun, such a solution does NOT exist for Ceton to my knowledge.  ServerWMC Live TV does NOT work with EmbySync and is never expected to be.  If you want LiveTV for both HDHomerun and CETON tuners, you will need your ServerWMC install, and I believe a linux based tv box that Kodi can stream from?  Unless there is a Kodi - ServerWMC connector.

Now, if you use the Emby Android client, you can get Live TV to play back, just understand there currently is no guide, and it is totally transcoded.

That link is the exact one I bought.  There are two firmware upgrades out there for when you receive it.  The Over the air update won't work, I can look through notes and link you to the firmware upgrades in their forums.  Basically you download the first update, copy it to SD card, in the upgrade menu point it to the file on the SD card and it will reboot.  It will act like it's failing, you get a mini menu where you tell it to use the SD card, and then it flashes and upgrades.  That upgrade adds the new Over The air upgrade app which does work.

That Neo x8H Plus is currently the best thing out there.  Currently it runs Kit Kat 4.4.2.  There is potential for it to be upgraded to Lollipop per their forums.

Thanks for the feedback! Any experience playing 3D or 4K content? I have yet to try out  EmbySync... I should if only for testing purposes. I'm also very familiar with devices that need to be flashed with usb. I'm always trying out f

Oh, btw, the Compute Stick comes with a microSD slot and reportedly supports 128GB.

jhevener

So your article is from January 7th....

Here is another article from January 7th:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ces-2015-intel-introduces-compute-stick-with-atom-quad-core-cpu/

Today's article says:

Newegg lists both variants as having the same 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. Amazon, on the other hand, gives the Linux version only 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage. Linux usually requires less resources to run comfortably, but that doesn't mean Linux users wouldn't want beefier specs as well.

My guess is NewEgg listed it wrong.... but time will tell.

You were right in your guess. They changed the price to $149 and were available for pre-order. Now they are marked as sold out on both models.

MSattler

Just pre-ordered the Windows version on Amazon. They state it's available on  May 1st.

Trying to hold off =)

jhevener

My estimated arrival date is Cinco de Mayo. I can't wait to try this puppy out. I'm also ordering the MINIX NEO X8-H Plus for comparison.

Bcummings15

What do you guys think about this setup?

1. Have the Emby Server and Theater installed on the compute stick.

2. Configure Emby Theater with external player (vlc) which should eliminate any transcoding. 

I think this device should be powerful enough to handle this but I still have my concerns. I probably won't stream to any devices except my Windows tablet running the 8.1 app.

Koleckai Silvestri

Theater will direct play anyway. It shouldn't need transcoding unless you're using weird file formats somewhere. However I personally wouldn't run the server on such a low powered device. It is an Atom processor and basically a tablet in a stick. Though without transcoding, it might work. 

Bcummings15

I was able to test on a similarly spec device (compute stick has more ram) and things ran fine. But it was a small sample size, nothing compared to my intended use. I did preorder the windows version and will post some updates once it ships.

Bcummings15

Reviews are starting to come in for the Compute stick and they are not really positive (not performing up to expectations). Many stated that the HP Stream Mini would be the better option overall. I usually don't pay much attention to reviews but the negative aspects pointed out were enough for me to canel my pre-order and order the mini...

techywarrior

The reviews point out some limitations and probably cuts due to keep it on cost and in the specific size but performance review seem to be more dependent on what the reviewers/readers expected to be able to do with it.

I still think it's an interesting device but I don't think you should assume that the Atom chip they are using is going to be any sort of powerhouse. Any device with a more capable CPU would give you more leeway on usage.

jhevener

Reviews are starting to come in for the Compute stick and they are not really positive (not performing up to expectations). Many stated that the HP Stream Mini would be the better option overall. I usually don't pay much attention to reviews but the negative aspects pointed out were enough for me to canel my pre-order and order the mini...

I saw that idiot review in Gizmodo... who would buy this stick and expect it to play games? Oh and he says don't buy it because it doesn't come with a mouse and keyboard, what a maroon. This looks like it will work perfectly for at least a few of the 7 HDTVs scattered throughout the house.  I'm not sure I'm ready to connect it to any of the surround sound receivers because the current video firmware wont stream certain HI-Def sound formats but connected directly to a TV it should work just fine to run a dedicated Emby WMC, KODI, or the Web interface. Can't wait to get mine.

Bcummings15

I saw that idiot review in Gizmodo... who would buy this stick and expect it to play games? Oh and he says don't buy it because it doesn't come with a mouse and keyboard, what a maroon. This looks like it will work perfectly for at least a few of the 7 HDTVs scattered throughout the house. I'm not sure I'm ready to connect it to any of the surround sound receivers because the current video firmware wont stream certain HI-Def sound formats but connected directly to a TV it should work just fine to run a dedicated Emby WMC, KODI, or the Web interface. Can't wait to get mine.

Agreed. The Compute Stick as a dedicated client should work fine. Just in my situation I wanted to have the server running on the same device as well so it made sense for me to switch for the additional ports (USB 3.0) and the wired Ethernet port. After coupon codes it came out to be $180 after taxes so the difference was minimal.

Edited by Bcummings15

jhevener

Agreed. The Compute Stick as a dedicated client should work fine. Just in my situation I wanted to have the server running on the same device as well so it made sense for me to switch for the additional ports (USB 3.0) and the wired Ethernet port. After coupon codes it came out to be $180 after taxes so the difference was minimal.

I hope you are able to get the performance you need from the Dell Mini. Let us know how you make out. I plan on using an USB Gigabit NIC as the house is wired with Cat6 along with an IR receiver through a USB hub. Probably get me another bluetooth micro keyboard/mousepad for updates, web browsing, etc.

Bcummings15

I hope you are able to get the performance you need from the Dell Mini. Let us know how you make out. I plan on using an USB Gigabit NIC as the house is wired with Cat6 along with an IR receiver through a USB hub. Probably get me another bluetooth micro keyboard/mousepad for updates, web browsing, etc.

Fingers crossed. Should arrive Friday so I'll post an update shortly after. Believe it or not, I've actually been using an air mouse with a keyboard on the back in my current setup (laptop connected via HDMI) which has been working surprisingly well with emby theater. I'm anxious to know how the compute stick works with the emby software. Newegg told me yesterday they May 8th is the projected release date.

Edited by Bcummings15

GiGo

Fingers crossed. Should arrive Friday so I'll post an update shortly after. Believe it or not, I've actually been using an air mouse with a keyboard on the back in my current setup (laptop connected via HDMI) which has been working surprisingly well with emby theater. I'm anxious to know how the compute stick works with the emby software. Newegg told me yesterday they May 8th is the projected release date.

Which Air Mouse are you using?  I've been looking at these and the reviews, some say yay and most say nay.  Would be good to know what you are using.

jhevener

I'm not too into the Air Mouse concept. I can hardly play the WII when the grand-kids are over. I prefer my logitech remotes. One click to turn on TV, Receiver and to switch input to the PC. Then it's just Menu (green button command) and were off to the races with WMC and then EMBY or Live TV. Works great for the Roku 3 too.

Edited by jhevener

Bcummings15

Which Air Mouse are you using? I've been looking at these and the reviews, some say yay and most say nay. Would be good to know what you are using.

Here's a link to the one I purchased from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/iRainy-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth-Set-top-boxes/dp/B00KT09QPG

Very minimal in terms of buttons and works through USB. It also shuts off the mouse when you flip it over to use the keyboard. You can also turn off the mouse and use the directional pad to navigate menus. Nothing fancy overall but it works for what I need it to do. It doesn't have scrolling capabilities on webpages and it cannot wake a computer up from sleep. Those are my only issues.

jhevener

I just ordered this Bluetooth unit for the Stick. It has mouse functionality but I doubt I'll use it. It's got a trackpad, a plethora of keys (four programmable) and backlight which is essential for me. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZL1IQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by jhevener

Bcummings15

Set up the HP Stream Mini and its running perfectly as my server and client (emby theater). No overheating issues either after leaving it on (no sleep mode) for 12+ hrs.

• 4 weeks later...
jhevener

I also bought the HP Stream mini... got tired of waiting for the Compute Stick after they cancelled my pre-order at Amazon and I'm very glad I did. This little blue tub runs very quiet and never gets very hot. Runs Kodi with Emby, server WMC add-on and the Titan Mediabrowser Skin, flawlessly right out of the box. It comes with a wired keyboard and mouse but It's only going to be used as a HTPC so they were handy for setup but now, paired with a FLIRC, Logitech Harmony 650, and an IPazzport bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, it's a perfect little HTPC. I don't even mind that it looks like tupperware. LOL

I found out that 32GB just doesn't cut it if you want to completely update Windows and install updated drivers for everything. That's not a problem here because the little Sata m.2 drive is upgradable in addition to the RAM and WIFI Card. Can't do that with the Compute Stick. If I ran OpenElec with Kodi it wouldn't be an issue but I'm going to swap out the 32GB for a 128GB ($60) and the 2GB RAM for a 8GB stick ($60) and it should be qood to go. I'm sure the 8GB is overkill but for the little extra it cost I went for it. I also have 64GB SD XDSC card for a bit of local storage though all of my media is usually stored on the network.

I can't attest to the wireless because mine is wired to my Gb network. I can tell you it streams 1080p almost immediately with beautiful picture and impressive 5.1 Audio (I don't have 7.1 setups). Can't wait to get windows 10 on it because Windows 8.1 with Bing is pretty lame. No remote desktop is the ultimate gripe I have with it but having used Windows 10 Insiders previews for some time now on VMs and Surface, I know that will be the way to go for me because I'm lazy and find Linux a PITA.

Edited by jhevener

• 4 months later...
mediacowboy

Has anyone found a simple Bluetooth remote control for this?

I was thinking of asking for one for Christmas but for it to work. The wife and kids would like a simple remote like the roku.

Also as anyone ran any emulators on it such as a nes, she's, n64, or even a PS2?