Crystal Cover Opening

Nick's MCE

Nick's MCE

Hi

Firstly let me say how much I love the crystal theme and all the features. My question is about the covers which open showing the spinning Disc behind, I like this but I find it slows things down a little. I was wondering if there could be an option to use the Disc roll out as in the ROC theme, I really like this and my kids just love the way the discs spins up.

• Like 1

leedavies

If you go into the Crystal settings tab (or press #) anywhere except the EHS, there's an option to enable/disable the fully opening covers animation - they just open 45 degrees so you can see the disc, but the disc does still spin.

Would you like an option for the covers not to open at all?

And/or an option for the disc to spin/not spin?

The disc rollout animation in ROC Coverflow works for that view because there's plenty of screen space created by the covers arcing upwards at both sides - that's the only view in ROC that shows the disc until you reach the movie details page.  On the movie details page, the disc just slides out as that's all there's room for.

Nick's MCE

Crystal is awesome, and the way the cover opens and the disc spins is perfect for the layout. The only reason I wouldn't want the cover to open is if the disc either rolled out or popped up in some way. I can see what your saying about the space, mmmm.

I am just in the process of rebuilding my machine so I will reload Crystal and Roc and have another look to see if I have any ideas on how it could work without changing the whole theme.

leedavies

Crystal is awesome, and the way the cover opens and the disc spins is perfect for the layout. The only reason I wouldn't want the cover to open is if the disc either rolled out or popped up in some way. I can see what your saying about the space, mmmm.

I am just in the process of rebuilding my machine so I will reload Crystal and Roc and have another look to see if I have any ideas on how it could work without changing the whole theme.

Great stuff, I look forward to your feedback.

Nick's MCE

Great stuff, I look forward to your feedback.

Dev, ok had a look and you are right about the amount of space etc, the only possibility would be if it rolled out from the right hand side over the clearart, This would mean there was an option for cover closed with disc roll out, see what you think, you know what works and fits best.

leedavies

Hi

Firstly let me say how much I love the crystal theme and all the features. My question is about the covers which open showing the spinning Disc behind, I like this but I find it slows things down a little. I was wondering if there could be an option to use the Disc roll out as in the ROC theme, I really like this and my kids just love the way the discs spins up.

Tell your kids thank you - I spent a while getting that animation just right.  At one point, we had that didn't rotate like a wheel, but spun around to show the back of the disc and when the rotation continued and you could see the front of the disc again, but the disc had changed to the new one!

Then there was the disc that kinda ducked down as if it was bending its knees, then jumped up, did a backflip to reveal the new disc and landed again, squishing its height a little bit (as its knees bent!) and then was back to normal.

I have a huge collection of animations now and it's impressive how far you can actually push Windows Media Center!

BTW. A Crystal update is coming soon with all the recent performance and animation improvements in ROC

Nick's MCE

Tell your kids thank you - I spent a while getting that animation just right.  At one point, we had that didn't rotate like a wheel, but spun around to show the back of the disc and when the rotation continued and you could see the front of the disc again, but the disc had changed to the new one!

Then there was the disc that kinda ducked down as if it was bending its knees, then jumped up, did a backflip to reveal the new disc and landed again, squishing its height a little bit (as its knees bent!) and then was back to normal.

I have a huge collection of animations now and it's impressive how far you can actually push Windows Media Center!

BTW. A Crystal update is coming soon with all the recent performance and animation improvements in ROC

Lee, thanks man, to infinity and beyond, will wait for the next release before I chime in about crystal.